Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Which to pick?

Ok need an opinion on two very similar cars... If you were buying today which would you pick and why?

Car #1: 2000 S Boxster Black on Black
-$16500
- * 18 inch Rims
*47k miles
* Performance chip
* Aero kit1
* Sport Design Pkg
* Sport seats (manual, no heat)
* Grds red seatbelt
* Deviating stitch
* Alpine amps
* Mbquart, ssk
* Eibach Springs
* Dansk exhaust
* Euro rear bumper
* Painted silver center console and trimmings
Features & Options:
* 6 Speed Manual
* ABS (4-Wheel)
* AM/FM Stereo
* Air conditioning
* Boxster S Cabriolet 2D
* Dual Front Air Bags
* Front Side Air Bags
* Leather
* Power Door Locks
* Power Steering
* Power windows
* Premium Wheels
* RWD
* Single Compact Disc
* Sport Design Pkg
* Telescoping Wheel
* Amber lights
* Two remote keys and one valet key
-Some maintenance done. Original Clutch, brakes, water pump and coolant tank, original rear window

Car #2: 2000 S Boxster Black on Black
-$15800
- * 18 inch Rims
*73k miles
* Sport Design Pkg
* Leather seats (full power-slide,tilt, height, memory with porsche emblem on headrest; no heat)
* Black seatbelt
* Aftermarket single din filp out navigation radio, mp3 player, bluetooth phone and streaming

Features & Options:
* 6 Speed Manual
* ABS (4-Wheel)
* AM/FM Stereo
* Air conditioning
* Boxster S Cabriolet 2D
* Dual Front Air Bags
* Front Side Air Bags
* Leather
* Power Door Locks
* Power Steering
* Power windows
* Premium Wheels
* RWD
* Single Compact Disc
* Sport Design Pkg
* Telescoping Wheel
* Clear headlights with washer
* On board computer
* One remote keys and one valet key
-All service records since new. New clutch, RMS, IMS upgrade (LN), new waterpump, new coolant expansion tank, new transmission, new cv boots all around, new 02 sensors, 60k service completed, new rear window.

Speaking with the owner of the second car says all the work done are wear items and weak points in the car that all boxster's will need to address eventually and all were done due to that as well as for keeping the car running a long time.

So if you had a choice between the two which are very similar color and price which do you go for? The lower miles or a slightly higher one that looks turn key?

Thanks for your opinions.

waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

#2 definitely.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Not even close, #2. With all the mods on 1, guaranteed the owner drove the hell out of it.
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

So the difference in miles is not a big deal?
waynes986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

Car number 2... A well maintained car will thump a lower milage car without maintenance any day for me... Plus those repairs are things that will eventually need to be done and the cost to those with labor is $$$$$$$$$....
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #6

-All service records since new. New clutch, RMS, IMS upgrade (LN), new waterpump, new coolant expansion tank, new transmission, new cv boots all around, new 02 sensors, 60k service completed, new rear window.

... Get proof on service records and IMS upgrade (LN), then obviously the #2.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #7

car #1- sounds like it was owned by someone that wanted to go faster, drove the hell out of the car, and did not do much maintenance, preventive or otherwise.

car # 2- sounds like someone that took care of the car, and was not interested in sounds and speed.

Buy number 2
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #8

Garage
An interesting paradox always arises on this forum whenever it comes to assessing the value and reliability of vehicle; particularly if there are modifications involved. I find it fascinating to see how an overwhelming majority of the members on this forum are always looking for ways to improve the performance of their vehicle's with both aftermarket and DIY modifications . Yet, many are quick to condemn a vehicle based on the fact that it has been modified . Moreover, the mere mentioning of modifications seems to signify that said vehicle has had the "hell driven out of it" , or "stomped to death". To the contrary, it's been my experience that whenever a person invests the time and effort in modifying his or her vehicle, they seem to take even greater care of it. As far as the vehicles in question are concerned, granted vehicle #2 has had the much desired IMS upgrade performed . But look at the rest of it . At 73k it needed a new transmission, CV boots, O2 sensors, coolant tanks, rear windows ect ... If any vehicle smacks of having had the "bag kicked out of it", it's this one !! On the other hand, because vehicle #2 has a sport muffler, lower springs, ecu upgrade and some cosmetic enhancements (golly, those mods don't sound familiar on this forum), it's taboo . Oh, and the other concerns are that it still has the original clutch, coolant tank, brakes and rear window . With only 47k on the odometer, I would hope that it did !!

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Car #1 wins. Much lower mileage for the money. Lack of maintanence records shouldn't be a deal killer and the car is priced correctly to reflect the mileage, options, and lack of records. In this market, offer $16K and go home happy.

The biggest problem with Car #2 is that its over-priced (due to the high miles) - even with maintanence records. IMS replacement only adds a couple hundred in value (at most). This car is only worth about $14,500 at best and in this market a realistic price is more like $14K even.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-08-2011 at 07:09 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

Garage
I have to agree 100% with Johnny, especially considering I was on the exact same boat as you, looking at two 2001 Boxster S at the time, one with 35k miles and another with 70k. Long story short, the 35k one had never been tracked or even redlined as the PPI showed. It sure had a Powerchip, racing stainless steel braking lines, etc. But was in near mint condition and most of the regular maintenance done properly. I bought it in CA and drove 5,000km across the USA to bring it home, on the east coast of Canada. Performed flawlessly and to this day still runs with its original clutch, now with 43,000 miles.
The other car had double the miles and was similarly priced but at the end the much lower mileage plus the new transmission Porsche had replaced under warranty (not abused, simply a failed transmission - that does happen), won me over.
Regarding RMS/IMS/Clutch it can be done all in one shot. Around here the independent shops especialized in Porsches can do it in under 12 hous of labor. At $78 an hour, this is under $1000. I bought a new clutch, waiting for the day I will have to replace it, for around $450-500 from what I remember. The LN IMS kit is in the $600 range if I am not mistaken. So for around $2200 you can have all that done in a car with 47k miles.
And you do not need to do it now. I have been buying parts that I do not even need since day one so when time comes my only expense not paid for is the labor.

So my vote, assuming a PPI is done and does indeed show the car was not abused, is #1.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
An interesting paradox always arises on this forum whenever it comes to assessing the value and reliability of vehicle; particularly if there are modifications involved. I find it fascinating to see how an overwhelming majority of the members on this forum are always looking for ways to improve the performance of their vehicle's with both aftermarket and DIY modifications . Yet, many are quick to condemn a vehicle based on the fact that it has been modified . Moreover, the mere mentioning of modifications seems to signify that said vehicle has had the "hell driven out of it" , or "stomped to death". To the contrary, it's been my experience that whenever a person invests the time and effort in modifying his or her vehicle, they seem to take even greater care of it. As far as the vehicles in question are concerned, granted vehicle #2 has had the much desired IMS upgrade performed . But look at the rest of it . At 73k it needed a new transmission, CV boots, O2 sensors, coolant tanks, rear windows ect ... If any vehicle smacks of having had the "bag kicked out of it", it's this one !! On the other hand, because vehicle #2 has a sport muffler, lower springs, ecu upgrade and some cosmetic enhancements (golly, those mods don't sound familiar on this forum), it's taboo . Oh, and the other concerns are that it still has the original clutch, coolant tank, brakes and rear window . With only 47k on the odometer, I would hope that it did !!
Totally agree! When I looked at these two cars #1 was my immediate pick, my first thought was yes another low problem/repair car like mine only this one has a bunch of nice pricey cool stuff on it. I will say I can't disagree with those that liked number #2 but then I keep thinking...darn that is a lot of repairs...maybe it was a problem car...or maybe the guy was like me and just likes to do repair work for the fun of it...you know that piece of mind that comes with making a car like new. Get a PPI on #1, if it checks out that would be my choice, if it doesn't then get #2, not much needs to now be fixed on it, you'll get years of fun out of it.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
I am in total agreement with Johnny!
Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #13

Quote:

I think the most important thing to look at when buying a used car or anything second hand is the buy the seller and then buy the item. Getting a feel of how the owner treated the car will tell you alot about how they treated the car. Now if the first guy was a bit younger and talked about how he tracks the car then maybe it was driven hard. Same goes for the second car. Although if you look at the repairs that were mentioned on the second car seems to be a lot but you have to see the milage of the car and expect for items to be repaired. When I had my box it only had 34k miles and the waterpump went out and that bad boy cost $800-900 to repair at the dealer. The coolant expansion tank also a known weak spot on the car to be replaced no matter what the milage is. Yeah the car with 43k miles has the original clutch in it but in 20-30k miles it too will need to be replaced and when if the IMS goes out at 50k miles and there is a $15k repair bill looking at you then you'll be like WTF. Look at both cars and talk to both owners.
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #14

Bottom line, #1 spent lots of money to doll up his car and #2 spent lots of money replacing parts that wore out on schedule and lots of money on preventative maintenance.

So if you want a car thats dolled up AND in good mechanical condition, would you rather get a car thats dolled up already but that will have unknown and possibly very expensive repairs in the near future, or a car that is essentially mechanically perfect that you can then doll up, knowing exactly what the cost of mods will be?

To me, theres no choice.
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho
Bottom line, #1 spent lots of money to doll up his car and #2 spent lots of money replacing parts that wore out on schedule and lots of money on preventative maintenance.

So if you want a car thats dolled up AND in good mechanical condition, would you rather get a car thats dolled up already but that will have unknown and possibly very expensive repairs in the near future, or a car that is essentially mechanically perfect that you can then doll up, knowing exactly what the cost of mods will be?

To me, theres no choice.

What ???????
Any way, I know plenty of boxster owners who's vehicles have reached the 75k mark that still have the original transmission, CV joints, coolant tanks, rear windows ect.., and in many cases have a clutch that still has plenty of life left in it. I don't view any of the aforementioned parts as being part of routine, scheduled maintenance, or things that typically wear out at this juncture. And, I can assure you, if I live long enough (LOL !) to see my vehicle reach 75k, all of the aforementioned parts will still be intact. And you can bet that both me and the vehicle will be all "dolled up" .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-09-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #16

Well then, it's clear that the correct solution here is to buy them both! Put all the best parts on the #2 and then re-sell #1.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #17

Garage
Whoa ! Here's a keeper ! It's got a new rear window and a magnetic drain plug . Now that's a sure sign that the previous owner kept up on the maintenance . Yah !!! :dance:
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #18

Nothing wrong with getting dolled up. I just got a mani-pedi yesterday with a girl.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Nothing wrong with getting dolled up. I just got a mani-pedi yesterday with a girl.
Funny you should mention that . This afternoon I got a Brazilian wax. Or was it a
Castilian ? I can't remember .
Old 06-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #20

could it be Pave?