Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
2001 RUF 3800S

IPD Plenum kit installed and tested. First impression....

First impression was immediate WOW, noticeable Difference right away. You can feel the power change. Car pulls much harder in the higher rpms. Apparently computer needs time to adjust so I'm curious how much it will change from the intial test.

Overall a grand upgrade and one hour of my time and I'm happy.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Very cool.

On a side note: You've had 12 Boxsters!!?

edit: Or is it a special edition?
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Carnut

Finally! Good to hear, report back once you drive a bit more!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

Garage
Does anyone know how this compares to Pedro's TechnoTorque?
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #5

I do ......
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #6

And ..... What is the verdict?
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #7

I can't wait to do this upgrade. I have to do more mandatory repairs before I can add any toys.... Ahh, a guy can dream.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
2001 RUF 3800S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlow (Robo-Top)
Very cool.

On a side note: You've had 12 Boxsters!!?

edit: Or is it a special edition?

Lol no its a special order. Apparently only 12 made in my color.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #9

violametallic-s, what did you do with the air vent hose that goes to the rubber intake pipe between the airfilter and the throttle body on the original, after installing the ipd plenum ?

The equivalent ipd intake pipe does not have a vent hole for the pipe to plug in, so my mechanic just capped the vent pipe and said that it's ok. In fact it's just dangling there now... will go in later to fix that.

I had the ipd plenum, a bmc airfilter and the aos changed at the same time and my reaction was.... in order of how much of a surprise...

1. The intake roar when flooring it was surprising (from a bmc filter, and NOT de-snorkelled) - it's LOUD ! Did not expect this at all.
2. The engine is now creamier and smooth... I would presume this is from the aos ?? I did not have excessive pressure from the oil filler cap but changed the aos anyway as with the plenum and tb off, access to the aos was slightly easier. I did have oil in the intake pipes.
3. Pull from the engine is definitely improved.... It used to be less willing to rev up (like internal resistance) but now pulls cleanly. Going from 110km/h to 200km/h is now a breeze
4. Improved fuel economy ??? Seems odd, but that's what my last run showed and quite significantly too, but then again perhaps its due to a lower avg speed due to traffic. Need to monitor.

Overall, there's significant improvement in the engine's pull and eargerness... Probably more effective on a 986 as there is also an increase in the TB size, improving the throttle response (mine's a tip).

Last edited by shlim8; 06-05-2011 at 06:48 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #10

Oh interesting, i've a 986 tip and one thing i've not been all that impressed with is its throttle response. Has it made any difference to the gear changes? Also would you need to change the exhaust as well, or will the gains be seen with the standard backbox?

:-)

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Andrew McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McD
Oh interesting, i've a 986 tip and one thing i've not been all that impressed with is its throttle response. Has it made any difference to the gear changes? Also would you need to change the exhaust as well, or will the gains be seen with the standard backbox?

Yes, my car feels like there is alot of "engine resistance", the throttle response is not impressive at all.

The bmc, new aos and ipd plenum has improved the throttle response. I list all 3 mods since I did all the mods at one time and can't tell which one is contributing to what ?

I'm on stock headers, cats and muffler so it does work on standard exhaust system. I'm pretty sure with a decent sports exhaust system, there should be more gains - I've only addressed the intake end of things..

Gear changes, hmmm, my tip seems to be quite quick to change from 5th to 4th to 3rd, but slow going down to 2nd (eg up a hill). Subjectively, the change seems to be faster - probably due to the bigger throttle body (74mm vs 68mm), need to press less hard on the accelerator to get the gears to change.

The bad news - I think the ipd plenum is only available on the 2.7l and 3.2l boxsters.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #12

Oh ah um er ok.... oh well glad it helped... but suppose it saves me some moneys.

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Andrew McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
1. The intake roar when flooring it was surprising (from a bmc filter, and NOT de-snorkelled) - it's LOUD ! Did not expect this at all.
The resonator box on the intake is removed which gives you that ROAR. I removed mine and desnorkled ... makes a bit of a difference in the pep and sound. Now need to update to a sports muffler ...

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak
The resonator box on the intake is removed which gives you that ROAR. I removed mine and desnorkled ... makes a bit of a difference in the pep and sound. Now need to update to a sports muffler ...
Is that the strange "appendix" box that's connected to the side of the intake pipe ? The one that doesn't lead to anywhere. I wondered what that was for. Surprised that it makes that much difference. I guess it would cause interference with sucking air directly from the airfilter

I was afraid that I had an airleak so went in again to re-check everything.

Yes, now if I can actually get some excitement from the exhaust note, that'll be great. Ah well, at least now I have the intake noise to entertain me.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
Is that the strange "appendix" box that's connected to the side of the intake pipe ? The one that doesn't lead to anywhere. I wondered what that was for. Surprised that it makes that much difference. I guess it would cause interference with sucking air directly from the airfilter

I was afraid that I had an airleak so went in again to re-check everything.

Yes, now if I can actually get some excitement from the exhaust note, that'll be great. Ah well, at least now I have the intake noise to entertain me.
Yes ... that's it! This is due to noise abatement in some countries ... it does add a bit of "fun" to the sound when removed. There is a place in Montreal, Canada that sells a sports exhaust for about $850 US (maxspeed-motorsports) that folks have recommended. I'm looking at getting this muffler for mine soon.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote