Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 03:01 AM   #1

Can't open fuel door.

Okay, the novice strikes again.

I can't open my fuel door. It opened yesterday but I was toying with the central lock button and now it won't open, so i think it is because I haven't fully unlocked the car.

I tried the little pull ring in the door jamb but it just pulled out into my hand with no resistance, so someone has screwed that up for me in the past. I stared at it and said "This is sweet".

I don't understand the central lock system. Why would I lock the car while I am in it? Doesn't make sense. And the light never turns green like the manual states, it is red when I press the left side.

I have two keys to the car, but one is at the garage where it is going to be serviced and the one I have in my possession is really banged up and I think the battery in it is dead too so I can't go that route.

Anyway, how can I get some gas in the car? I will just block the plunger once I get it open, I don't really care if my gas door is locked - not locked on my other cars so who cares? However, I would like to put some gas in the tank!

peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #2

Lock the doors with the key. Now, unlock the doors with the key. Try the gas door.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
Lock the doors with the key. Now, unlock the doors with the key. Try the gas door.

That doesn't always work. I have the same issue. About half the time the fuel door stays locked. Just pull the damn thing open. Who really cares if you break that stupid little plastic bit?
Old 06-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #4

There is a manual release in the passenger side door frame beneath the a pillar. I think I remember fiddling with it once
Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Someone beat me to the manual release in the door jamb - it came right out in my hand. I did have luck by using the key in the door, but I'm just going to defeat the system. No other car I've owned locks the gas door. Well, the Toyota does a a lever by the seat but I doesn't function with the door locks.

Silly little feature.
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #6

Maybe the solenoid in the fuel filler door locking mechanism is bad. I broke the hair-thickness puller in the door jamb years ago, and being anal, decided to replace it. That gets you into the area where you can replace the solenoid as well. Tight fit.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 AM   #7

Garage
Stupid Central Locking System

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Maybe the solenoid in the fuel filler door locking mechanism is bad. I broke the hair-thickness puller in the door jamb years ago, and being anal, decided to replace it. That gets you into the area where you can replace the solenoid as well. Tight fit.
I just cannot for the life of me believe all the issues I am having with the keys on my 2004 2.7 (had it 3wks)

Why oh why does one key work fine and unlock but the other "does whatever it feels like" - sometimes locks & unlocks all. Used direct in car door sets of alarm, yada yada

Think it must be a fob issue - not willing to pay porsche garage to get it put right as it will probable cost a mint.

anyone else had these problems??
Z4oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #8
I am my own mechanic....

You want that flap to lock. Went through a car wash (high end wash is a customer) and the flap whipped back & forth on dry. Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #9

Garage
Once the car is unlocked, put key in door keyhole and turn towards the front of the car, like double unlocking.......... it's as easy as that.
SKOOSH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #10

Unless the solenoid is broke. Looks a bugger to replace. Does anyone know if you can replace the solenoid by removing the carbon canister for access or does the hood, headlight and fender have to be removed?
Old 01-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #11

I have never taken mine through a carwash...wow

My fuel door never locks, I think the plunger is broken off....is it a pain to fix ?

I like everything working on my cars, no matter how small.....drives my wife crazy
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Unless the solenoid is broke. Looks a bugger to replace. Does anyone know if you can replace the solenoid by removing the carbon canister for access or does the hood, headlight and fender have to be removed?
I did it without taking the fender off. Small hands help...
Old 01-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I have never taken mine through a carwash...wow

My fuel door never locks, I think the plunger is broken off....is it a pain to fix ?

I like everything working on my cars, no matter how small.....drives my wife crazy
Me neither, but then I watch 911's, Panameras, a Ferrari, and so on pass by as I fix the door jet heaters. Then I talk to the managers. This company has their own wash & wax chemicals and no corrosive additives. Supposed to be good for the paint and they turn off the overhead sprayers for the rag tops. Had to try it free! Then the fuel door flapped around, thought it would break off.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #14

Garage
I replaced mine last summer because it would not lock
It is a tough place to work but you most certainly do not need to take fender off, just everything else up under the fender

Took a few hours and Waa-La - It still didn't work

Must be an issue with the Central locking not sending a signal to the plunger solenoid
Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 AM   #15

This seems to be a common problem with the Boxster. There is a guide bushing for the locking pin which pops out, you can get a replacement at Pelican Parts.

With the bushing gone, there is a rubber loop for the pull-ring that will snake out of the hole and snag the guide pin. Mine was stuck in the open position so I just pushed it back in the hole and used a rubber grommet until I got my official guide bushing.

You might be able to use something thin like a feeler gauge through the fuel door to work the rubber loop back. Otherwise, you will need to start taking things apart.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
You want that flap to lock. Went through a car wash (high end wash is a customer) and the flap whipped back & forth on dry. Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just say no to mechanical cash washes, too harsh. Yeah I know you live in Utah and it's cold but...