Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 733
Quick question: does cigarette lighter "stay on"?

Hey all,
Just have a quick question... I'm doing an in-car camera project and it will be powered by the cigarette lighter, but I'm concerned about it "staying on" while the car is off and draining the battery. I'd like a solution where I could leave it plugged in.

If it DOES stay on all the time, is there a way to "override" that somehow?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,095
Garage
It shuts off.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas!
Posts: 733
sweet! thank you.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Spinnaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 733
Not trying to be contradictory, but if it shuts off, then how do the battery maintainers that plug into the cigarette lighter charge the battery?
__________________
2000S Ocean Blue Metallic- 116K
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
My 2000 is hot all of the time. Not ignition controlled.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Posts: 236
always hot. except when starting due to the X circuit...
__________________
dave

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #7
Registered User
 
ChrisZang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Carlos, CA 94070
Posts: 1,450
What's the X-Circuit?
__________________
I still wave at Boxsters, but they no longer wave back :-(
2002 Boxster S "Violet" (sold but not forgotten)
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey" (current ride)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Registered User
 
ChrisZang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Carlos, CA 94070
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
Hey all,
Just have a quick question... I'm doing an in-car camera project and it will be powered by the cigarette lighter, but I'm concerned about it "staying on" while the car is off and draining the battery. I'd like a solution where I could leave it plugged in.

If it DOES stay on all the time, is there a way to "override" that somehow?
Looks like this thread has derailed a little.
Back to your original question:
Hidden inside the console is a 4 prong connector which provides permanent and switched power.
If you search the forum there are several threads as how to locate the connector
__________________
I still wave at Boxsters, but they no longer wave back :-(
2002 Boxster S "Violet" (sold but not forgotten)
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey" (current ride)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In the garage...
Posts: 1,608
The plug is under the center console stack. Pull on the carpeted panel at red arrow towards the sides of the car about 2 inches to unsnap the panel (same can be done in passenger side). Then slide the panel towards front of the car to release the panel completely.




Dig around (it might be taped to the floor) for a 4 pin/wire (3 pin if MY '97) connector. Here's an actual picture of the connector and a schematic:



(I made this one for someone who needed to discern which wire was which based on the plug b/c they were color-blind).

If you're not color blind, here's an easier schematic I made:


Or you could always just run a lead to the fuse panel are there are a number of switched and unswitched empty slots available there too.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
My 2000 is hot all of the time. Not ignition controlled.
Same with my 2001. Before I hard wired my V1, my battery died a couple times because of it.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
What's the X-Circuit?
that's what turns off your headlights and other accessories when engaging the starter.
__________________
dave

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Registered User
 
mistikuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 5
Send a message via ICQ to mistikuss
mistikuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver
 
Deserion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange Park, FL
Posts: 1,288
Garage
It's hot on my '04.
__________________
-Chris
2004 Porsche Boxster 2.7
1991 Porsche 911 C2 Targa 3.6
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
Matt
 
MileHighBoxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 284
Per your first answer, mine is not active when ignition is turned off.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,643
My cig lighter is powered 24/7 whether the ignition switch is on or off.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Suwanee GA
Posts: 87
It must vary according to model year. My 2002 Boxster S is hot all of the time and I wish it wasn't. I have an MP3 player that I have to constantly pull from the plug each time I shut off the switch. Specific directions to tie it to the switch would be appreciated.
__________________
Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: eastern NC Crystal Coast
Posts: 413
99 stays hot 24/7 I forget to unplug the radar detector when driving into the garage
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
Registered User
 
J Tinsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pa.
Posts: 103
Thumbs up Why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
99 stays hot 24/7 I forget to unplug the radar detector when driving into the garage

Find a fuse that is switched ON with the ignition switch and wire the detector to that?

It's dead easy to find one using a 12v test light or a voltmeter. I have my V-1 wired that was for the same reason so I don't forget it! Gets to be a pita to remember each time you get out of the car to switch off the detector.

Best of luck!

J T
__________________
"Never force it.... get a BIGGER hammer!"
J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombea View Post
It must vary according to model year. My 2002 Boxster S is hot all of the time and I wish it wasn't. I have an MP3 player that I have to constantly pull from the plug each time I shut off the switch. Specific directions to tie it to the switch would be appreciated.
My 2000 stays hot, as I've posted. The 2009 Carreras stay hot as well. I bet all years are the same.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: sfbay
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
The plug is under the center console stack. Pull on the carpeted panel at red arrow towards the sides of the car about 2 inches to unsnap the panel (same can be done in passenger side). Then slide the panel towards front of the car to release the panel completely.




Dig around (it might be taped to the floor) for a 4 pin/wire (3 pin if MY '97) connector. Here's an actual picture of the connector and a schematic:



(I made this one for someone who needed to discern which wire was which based on the plug b/c they were color-blind).

If you're not color blind, here's an easier schematic I made:


Or you could always just run a lead to the fuse panel are there are a number of switched and unswitched empty slots available there too.

Good luck
Anyone have copies of these images. I have to pull the USB adapter out of the liter each time we park, but otherwise the darn thing keeps draining power.

nathan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page