Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Finally installed the strut bar braces

After reading some positive and neutral feedback on the strut bar braces, I finally went ahead with the schnell front and rear strut bar braces...

The front bar is quite massive at 30mm (I think) though the joints are alot smaller. The rear bar is quite slim.

After installing them, there is definitely quite an improvement in the handling, esp in the front. Not sure if it's because I have the M030 kit or my car's chassis is getting weaker after 10 years of rough roads. But the front feels tighter with less side to side bouncing. I now feel that the front suspension gets to do its job better. It also takes rough roads better now. Distinct improvement but not a dramatic improvement.

It has also helped on the windscreen shimmy alittle.

But the strange thing is that I now have occassional creaks coming from the frame of the roof. In the past it was totally silent and I only get squeaking noise from the rubber seal below the plastic window. If the structure is stiffer now, why would there be creaking from the roof ? I'm puzzled. Any ideas ?

Last edited by shlim8; 04-13-2011 at 01:10 AM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #2

Theory: By stiffening the suspension strut towers, the loads that were absorbed by the flexing suspension mounts, are now transmitted into the rest of the body/frame. Since you stiffened up both ends, the only place left to flex is the middle. I guess this is why racers build roll cages so robust, they need to stiffen the whole car.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 04-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Theory: By stiffening the suspension strut towers, the loads that were absorbed by the flexing suspension mounts, are now transmitted into the rest of the body/frame. Since you stiffened up both ends, the only place left to flex is the middle. I guess this is why racers build roll cages so robust, they need to stiffen the whole car.
Makes sense... the forces got transferred to the weakest point now, the middle... It's quite minor creaking... an odd creak here and there... but can't identify exactly where it comes from. I am quite sensitive to these odd noises, esp if I can still hear it over the engine and radio.... time for new exhaust ??!!
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlim8
Makes sense... the forces got transferred to the weakest point now, the middle... It's quite minor creaking... an odd creak here and there... but can't identify exactly where it comes from. I am quite sensitive to these odd noises, esp if I can still hear it over the engine and radio.... time for new exhaust ??!!
Do the Crios mod from the DIY section of the forum. Doesn't cost much to do and I love the sound now. Not loud, just more mellow with a nice soft rumble.

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote