Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Anyone Ever Cut the Shifter Shaft ?????

And why not?

I have had a B&M in a 996 and a rip-off B&M in my old boxster and neither of them shift as exact as the stock shifter. I understand the SSK moves the pivot ball down to keep the leverage and keep it easy to shift.

I don't mind losing leverage (harder) but hate when the gear is not exact... why would anyone not cut the shaft of the stock shifter to create a SSK with Porsche factory parts. Worse comes to worse, you replace it with a SSK again. Anyone have a compelling reason why not other than it is a ghetto mod?

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #2

EDIT: someone now has!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #3

and to think... this project started as just changing out a worn out shift boot

Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #4

Yes very true your shift position control goes down with ssks. Let us know how this ends up working for you along with the increased shift effort.

Last edited by jaykay; 04-12-2011 at 07:37 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

When I was looking at changing my shifter I came across a few threads on cutting the shaft. Search this forum and (I think) Renntech.org
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #6

Nola - I can't believe you were cutting w/o protecting the dash

Anyhow, you're not along as Pedro from Pedrosgarage.com cut down his SSK some time ago too. Here's a still photo of the throw from 1st - 2nd. Now that's short!

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #7

With the increase in effort the Schnell system gave, I can't help but believe you guys are going to have some sore, bruised hands!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #8

Remember that the stock moment arm on the cable side is a lot shorter than an SSK. Cut the stalk too short and one could be in tougher than SSK shift effort territory. One could compare lever arms and cut to be below SSK shift effort......

It will be nice to hear how all works out when tested
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #9

As BurgBoxster said above...

I cut my B&M short shifter many years ago.
It takes a bit more effort, but you get used to it quickly.
I've had no issues with missed gears at all.
I have also cut down about 12 other shifters and/or shafts for customers.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #10

DONE!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

Looks great....how does it feel when you drive it?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #12

Ok, just got finished driving it for the first time (rain last night). The modified shift is pretty much perfect. The throw is still a little long, but the force required to move is was surprisingly simple. I absolutely positively love it.

More important than the shifter is the seats. The GT3 style seats are AMAZING in this car.

I feel like car this is quickly morphing to be a nice combination of the rawness of an elise and the refinement of a stock boxster.

Next, I look to more weight shedding modifications. Has anyone ever completely removed the convertible top assembly, motors, ect?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #13

.........yeah definately noticed your seats!!! What make are they? I assumed that they were real GT3s. Hopefully I can get matches for my red interior. Did you retain all the stock adjustments?

I am not suprise that the shifter effort is good; you probably still have a lot more mechanical advantage than an SSK. What length up from the fulcrum did you end up going with?

The shifter knob works well........I am doing a custom and will post it when I am done as long as it turns out.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
.........yeah definately noticed your seats!!! What make are they? I assumed that they were real GT3s. Hopefully I can get matches for my red interior. Did you retain all the stock adjustments?

I am not suprise that the shifter effort is good; you probably still have a lot more mechanical advantage than an SSK. What length up from the fulcrum did you end up going with?

The shifter knob works well........I am doing a custom and will post it when I am done as long as it turns out.
Thanks man, The knob was the best I could find on ebay in carbon. It was made for a jetta. I dont know exactly how much I cut. I just hacked away till it felt most comfy in my palm

The seats are Rotec. They will make any color, material, and stitching that you can come up with. Here are the ones I could find that would work with red.