Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

Taking my car to the shop.......

I have 4 issues with the car that definitely need to be dealt with. Anyone have any idea how much it will cost? I haven't gotten the official estimate yet my mechanic is waiting for me to bring it in but I know it will cost quite a bit and I'm trying to save for it.

Most important #1 = Brakes
Apparently they have 20% left (all around) and the rotors need to be changed. Although I would like a second opinion before I give the go ahead because the cost of 4 rotors is quite high (I can get 4 OEM brake pads for 250, but rotors are difficult to find for cheaper than retail).

#2 = Convertible roof = When I press the roof button the cover comes up, the roof does not catch and if the button is continually depressed the cover will just retreat back to the closed position. Must be the 2nd motor.

#3 = Temp control = It doesn't work at all, I have a feeling it's the unit as my brother spilled some sort of syrup substance that got into all the buttons.

#4 = water leak = This one problem I don't understand. I was told that there was a leak on the drivers side, when it rains heavy that water will get into the car and into the electrical system. My mechanic checked it out today when I took it for a checkup and he said he couldn't see anything but still not sure wha the culprit could be.

Depending on how much it will cost, the brakes and water leak are 2 things I will 100% get done. The convertible roof still works manually (press the button until the cover reaches climax, manually pull off the roof and close the cover) and the temp control is only an issue in the winter (or really hot days). My mechanic is very fair but I have a feeling this job will cost ALOT of money.

iluvboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #2

Brake pads and rotors are an easy repair to do yourself and there are many tutorials on this site and others. Water leaks can come from a number of sources but a common source is the two drain holes below the clam shell getting clogged. Easily checked and remedied with blasts of air.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #3

Garage
Get urself a Bentley repair manual
it will pay for itself in no time
if u r a DIY guy (do it yourself)
Cheers
Chris

Last edited by chris97boxster; 04-06-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: spelling
chris97boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

You can get parts quite a bit cheaper from places in the states like Suncoast in Florida. Make sure they ship by USPS and not UPS.

There's an excellent resource on this forum for convertible top problems. If you post some details Maurice might just help you fix it yourself. You need to tell us the year of the car.

Oh, and shoot your brother.

Last edited by clickman; 04-05-2011 at 10:09 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Brake pads and rotors are an easy repair to do yourself and there are many tutorials on this site and others. Water leaks can come from a number of sources but a common source is the two drain holes below the clam shell getting clogged. Easily checked and remedied with blasts of air.
Thanks, will definitely tell him to check that out. I'm unable to drive my car in the rain and since it rains every other day in Canada it really is getting annoying.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris97boxster
Get urself a Bentley repair manual
it will pay for itself in no time
if u r a DIY guy (do it yourself)
Cheers
Chris
I've never worked on a car before, only simple interior things like replacing the cup holders and such. I wish I was a DIY guy but unfortunately it's not in my DNA =(
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
You can get parts quite a bit cheaper from places in the states like Suncoast in Florida. Make sure they ship by USPS and not UPS.

There's an excellent resource on this forum for convertible top problems. If you post some details Maurice might just help you fix it yourself. You need to tell us the year of the car.

Oh, and shoot your brother.
Maurice? I'll look for him and send him a message. Just a question though, there are 2 motors for the convertible top correct? One for the cover and one for the roof? If that's so the one for the roof doesn't even operate it's like its off.

And yes I will shoot my brother lol, especially if the unit has to be replaced which I'm sure it does. I've found some on ebay for under 200 but I want to be sure that's the problem first.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #8

If you're a PCA member you get discounts at the dealer for parts. Something like rotors are just too heavy to have them shipped from the US.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #9

Yeah yo're right, just checked some shipping quotes and it's well ove 100 to have them shipped. I'm going to see if the rotors can be salvaged or not, I'm guessing no. My guy has a hookup on Mercedes parts not sure about Porsche I'll have to give him a call today. Noob question but what's pca member?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #10

If you're getting water into the car and it's into the area under the driver's seat where the computer is, you should get that looked at ASAP. If that computer fries, you're looking at big $$$.

On convertible top issues, Maurice's forum handle is schoir. There's only one motor, which drives 2 transmissions (1 on each side), which use cables to open and close the top. The trannies also drive levers, one of which operates the lid (clamshell).

There are (at least) 2 concerns with getting a HVAC control unit from Fleabay: does it work? And will it work in your Model Year. They're not all interchangeable.

I've had (front) rotors shipped to me in BC from Cali. That was maybe 4 years ago and I don't recall the shipping being outrageous. It was certainly a lot cheaper than what I would have paid at the local stealer, PCA discount or not.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #11

I can get a pair of pads and rotors from tirerack (rotor blanks are $145 a piece) with shipping to B.C. for about $450. Should take no more than 2 hours of shop time (that's very generous) to replace, so figure maybe $650.

Confirm you definitely need rotors....oftentimes, you will not need them....

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #12

Yea Joe, definitely am going to want a second opinion on the rotors, he took a quick look (qbout 3 seconds) saw one scratch and said they all need to be replaced. I smell bull**************** to be honest.

@clickman, so you think it could be the levers? The top doesn't catch at all when the button is pressed, the cover just opens and retreats.

Yeah I'm definitely aware of the ocmplications associated with water leakage. The car hasn't seen rain in 2 years because of my paranoia. I'll be taking it in on the 15th to get things checked out. The convertible top may be something that I don't end up fixing if i will cost a lot of money. I really dont mind doing it the old fashioned way (really only half the old-fashioned way).
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #13

For the temp contol you can try something. My son did the same thing with a coke. gummed up everything. I removed the unit and washed and soaked the unit in rubbing alcohol. disolves the syrup and it does not hurt the internals.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvboxsters
Yea Joe, definitely am going to want a second opinion on the rotors, he took a quick look (qbout 3 seconds) saw one scratch and said they all need to be replaced. I smell bull**************** to be honest.
I thought you said your mechanic was fair? If you can't trust him you're in a whole nuther ballpark.
The only real way to tell if the rotors have to go is to put gauges on to check thickness and runout. Although pros might be able to get a good idea on thickness based on feeling the wear ridge at the edge of the rotor. Runout problems, on the fronts at least, could mean shuddering when braking.

Quote:
@clickman, so you think it could be the levers? The top doesn't catch at all when the button is pressed, the cover just opens and retreats.
It could be one of the microswitches. But I'm guessing. Maurice is your best bet.
And you still haven't told us the model year of the car; there are differences in the tops from 99-00.

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely aware of the ocmplications associated with water leakage. The car hasn't seen rain in 2 years because of my paranoia. I'll be taking it in on the 15th to get things checked out. The convertible top may be something that I don't end up fixing if i will cost a lot of money. I really dont mind doing it the old fashioned way (really only half the old-fashioned way).
As someone mentioned, the drain holes should be checked that they drain. There's also one in the frunk by the battery. Any good Porsche mechanic or DIYer will check these regularly.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
For the temp contol you can try something. My son did the same thing with a coke. gummed up everything. I removed the unit and washed and soaked the unit in rubbing alcohol. disolves the syrup and it does not hurt the internals.

You've got way more guts than me!!

On the other hand, if you know the unit's useless anyways ...
Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #16

Seriously over-simplified but....

If your rotor has a thick ridge on it's edge, it's more likely to need replaced. If it has a thin ridge (i.e. it can catch your fingernail, but it's easy to skirt over too), it almost definitely is still good if it's never been machined. Surface scratches don't mean you need a replacement unless it's super deep (very rare). A gauge measurement is the only way to know for sure.

Rotors are the expensive part - figure without rotors, you are talking a $200 or less job for a shop to do.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #17

Are the rotors drilled? If so, look at the holes as they are prone to crack and it is said that if enough of the cracks connect, it is possiable to break. Also they can not be turned.

If it is standard rotors, pull them off and they can be turned at brake check for 9$ each.

but unless they are bent or at/past minimal thickness they are fine.

Pad replacement honestly takes 15 min each tire. Stupid to pay someone to do that.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #18

Yea I can trust the guy who owns the shop, him and my father are good friends but the guy I was speaking to was just someone who works for him (the owner wasn't there at the time).

Thanks guys, I think I'll have the rotors checked and machined or repelaced, whatever is necessary. I have no mechanical prowess so changing brake pads is something I wouldn't try to do even though with directions I probably could.

Since my AC unit is quite useless I may as well just try it, quite gutsy though.

Sorry clickman, it's a 2001 boxster (not S).

I will have those drains checked, wehre the convertible top meets the driver side door is likely the culprit.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #19

Garage
For Sticky Buttons.

http://docwilenracing.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/sticky-boxster996-ac-control-unit/
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Maurice? I'll look for him and send him a message. Just a question though, there are 2 motors for the convertible top correct? One for the cover and one for the roof? If that's so the one for the roof doesn't even operate it's like its off.

And yes I will shoot my brother lol, especially if the unit has to be replaced which I'm sure it does. I've found some on ebay for under 200 but I want to be sure that's the problem first.
There is only ONE electric motor for the convertible top, located under where the center rear of the clamshell cover ends up when the clamshell is sitting on top of a completely open, stowed top.

If your clamshell is operating correctly through its entire cycle, the fix is relatively easy and cheap.

The problem is that both of your plastic ball cups are either broken or have popped off their respective steel balls under the base of the B-pillar.

To have a look, press the button until the clamshell is in the rearmost, 45 degree position, and then take a look straight down between the sheetmetal just inboard of where the pointed ends of clamshell are normally located when the clamshell is down and the fat black arm of the B-pillar. If see a shiny steel ball there, with nothing on it, or a plastic ball cup that is not attached to a metal pushrod arm, that is your problem.

Be careful if you have operated the top with those plastic ball cups broken or popped off because the V-levers will still go through their cycle and the dangling front pushrods can dig in an tear the foam drain trays. That will lead to an expensive repair when water finds its way to the immobilizer under the driver's seat. If they are torn or ripped, you can seal them up effectively with Permatex Black Silicone Sealant.

Porsche only sells the complete pushrod assembly with the plastic ball cups attached. If you want a source for just the plastic ball cups, send me a PM and I'll send you the info.

Don't take the car to the dealer because of the top. We can fix it.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote