Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Hardtops

How do you like your hard top? Do they creek and rattle? Are they a pain to deal with? What do I need to know? Just thinking about buying one...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I love mine. It took some time and work to get it adjusted but it is now quiet. It takes two people to install and remove it just because it is bulky. It is made out of aluminum so it is rather light (~ 50 pounds). I've read accounts of folks removing it alone but I wouldn't try it.

I like that it quickly gives the car two identities. With the hardtop on the driving experience is quiet when compared to the soft top up or down. I've traveled with the hardtop on and feel a little bit more secure leaving the car in a hotel parking lot with the hardtop installed. The rear window is much larger than my GAHH soft top glass and you also have an electric defroster with the hardtop as well.

You will need somewhere to store the hardtop when removed (a stand for instance) and spinlocks to mount it in the car. Although it hasn't happened yet, I always think I will one day need to gain access to the top of the engine which will require me to remove the hardtop early or temporarily. It is more than warm enough here to remove the hardtop but I'm keeping it on until the spring pollen calms down.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

I see the hard-top as a great option if you drive year-round (not necessarily in the rain/snow, just anytime of year). It quiets down the whole ride, has a sexy look to it, adds some security, provides a really nice clear rear view, and somehow makes the ride a bit sportier to me (compared to soft-top UP).

Mine has some slight noise on cold mornings - this might be mitigated simply by lubing up the seals with some silicon spray or light grease, I don't know. It's a vastly quieter ride in general, though obviously still not quiet. I get plenty of intake sound and engine/exhaust sound still.

Personally, I'm planning on selling mine (took pictures, now just need to post them!). My boxster is garaged upwards of 4 months a year to keep insurance rates down and protect the car. Though I love the hard-top, I'm only going to use it for what, 1-2 months a year? And then there's those spot days where suddenly its 65-70 degrees out in the beginning of April and I want the top down.

Though storage can be a pain, the best solution I've seen is a hard-top BAG with canvas loops that can be set on hooks in your ceiling. I don't personally use that method (I have a padded stand), I like it alot for keeping the hard-top out of the way.

Hope this helps!

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #4

wow, that white looks awesome.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
^^^
Thanks very much dallison!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

Hey, Joefrom Pa, how much and what color?
steveboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

We live in South West Idaho. The Boxster is a year round car since we don't get much snow here in our valley. We put the hardtop on in December and take it off in April. We realy enjoy the look of the hardtop. Wish the Boxster was a hard roof convertable.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #8

I only used my hardtop for a couple of days when I picked up my car (couple of days because I was stuck for storage space of the top otherwise it would be off the car immediately !!), BUT I remembered commenting how creakfree the hardtop was compared to my Miata Mx5 hardtop.

In fact my problem is the soft-top, it creaks at the rear seals (only one side) if I don't clean and lubricate it every week.

ddb - that's one really gorgeous white box !!! looks really sharp with the matching white hardtop + clear lights.

Last edited by shlim8; 04-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
shlim8,

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #10

Thanks ..... Many good thoughts and opinions !!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #11

All of our cars are starting to look similar huh?
I guess good taste just flows through this forum

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #12

That top looks great on your car....works well with black