Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #21

I haven't read through everyone's reply here so not sure if I'm repeating anyone. He's my input. I love my 2002 standard boxster (non S) very much. But it is NOT a super fast car off the line.
I purposely do not try to race anyone as I have been beaten before by other 6 cylindar automatics when trying to keep up.

In my opinion, the best time to "show off" a little power is when your cruising along at 50 mph in 4rd gear, and you drop her down to 3rd and gun it. Then you'll feel the power!!

Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #22

Must agree with the general group here. Basics are racing on the street is tempting (I;m sure all of us have felt the pitter patter of our hearts at some point). But the reality is it isn't safe for others around us no matter how good we think we are. The issue really becomes that we have know idea about the person beside us which makes the practise even worse. Leave racing for the trips to the bedroom with the wife. You'll both be happier, well as long as you don't miss a shift that is :P
tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #23

A few things:

If you got a Boxster to try to be faster than others, you failed. For the amount of money you spent you could have gotten an M3 or something along those lines that owuld beat every car on the road. Boxsters aren't that fast to be honest, at least when compared to the subaru wrx sti's of the world.

If someone else is egging you on, doing nothing is even more boss. I have people revving at me all day, I just simply ignore it and don't give them the satisfaction. I don't know why you even tried to race a toyoto...

Sasha are you a female by any chance? "my little boxster" sounds like something only a girl would say
iluvboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
SoK

are you saying you cruise around at over 2.5k? why?

I've always asked this same question when sport bikes ride around going 35mpg in traffic yet keep the motor at 7 or 8k. i know it sounds good, but that isn't the point.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK
are you saying you cruise around at over 2.5k? why?

I've always asked this same question when sport bikes ride around going 35mpg in traffic yet keep the motor at 7 or 8k. i know it sounds good, but that isn't the point.
I was going to say the same thing. I engage the clutch at 1,300 and shift at 3,000. When I engage the clutch and shift at high RPM I can literally feel the strain on the clutch. OP's not doing his/her "little boxster" any good by driving it like that all the time.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #26
SoK

That's identical for me when daily driving.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #27

Quote:

"to quote the greatest movie of all time: "there's a lot of bad drivers out there" (come on, name the movie!). Don't be one of them!"

Posted by stateofidleness.

Dumb and Dumber??
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #28
SoK

"can't be to careful, lotta bad drivers out there..."

u got it
Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #29

I'm a man in my 30's however having 2 small kids makes "my little baby ..." a common phrase

I don't race on streets, one time I tried.. I failed.. and was frustrated as hell.

What do you mean engage clutch at 1300? I read here that "keeping it under 2500RPM = dead IMS.. usually I downshift at 2-2.2K and upshift at 4-4.5K, cruising beaing 2.5-3K rpm...

Isn't it how it;s should be done?

Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #30

Well, to a sport bike 7,000 RPM is like 3,500 to a Boxster. They are dogs @ 4,000, and won't accelerate much if you need to. More importantly, IT's FUN ! People don't buy them to hyper-mile. Having said that, I will cruise @ 4k if I'm feeling mellow.

As for the Boxster, I'm more like Sasha, shift @ 3,000 while warming up, or just cruising. more often I shift @ 4k, with trips above 6k on most drives. Cruise RPM 2400-3000, 75 MPH in 5th equals exactly 3,000 RPM. anything but gentle acceleration from 2k I consider "lugging", requiring a downshift.

[QUOTE]I engage the clutch at 1,300 and shift at 3,000. When I engage the clutch and shift at high RPM I can literally feel the strain on the clutch. OP's not doing his/her "little boxster" any good by driving it like that all the time.[QUOTE]

Are you saying that you rarely shift above 3k ? You're missing 1/2 the fun.

Last edited by stephen wilson; 04-06-2011 at 05:35 AM.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #31

I'm talking about 1,300 for just getting started in 1st gear. This rpm ratio feels like the smoothest take off with the least amount of strain on the clutch. I'm on the same clutch for the past 7 years so I don't like to push it all the time because the repurcussions are expensive. I do cruise at 2,500 though on a regular basis. Shifting above 3,000 only occurs about once or twice per drive for me. It's just tough to do it all the time because at those high rpms the clutch doesn't feel smooth when depressed. Once I have to change my clutch I'll definitely open her up a bit more.

@Sasha, not quite sure. The reasoning behind the way I drive is clutch related. Don't know much about IMS.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #32

[QUOTE=stephen wilson]Well, to a sport bike 7,000 RPM is like 3,500 to a Boxster. They are dogs @ 4,000, and won't accelerate much if you need to. More importantly, IT's FUN ! People don't buy them to hyper-mile. Having said that, I will cruise @ 4k if I'm feeling mellow.

As for the Boxster, I'm more like Sasha, shift @ 3,000 while warming up, or just cruising. more often I shift @ 4k, with trips above 6k on most drives. Cruise RPM 2400-3000, 75 MPH in 5th equals exactly 3,000 RPM. anything but gentle acceleration from 2k I consider "lugging", requiring a downshift.

[QUOTE]I engage the clutch at 1,300 and shift at 3,000. When I engage the clutch and shift at high RPM I can literally feel the strain on the clutch. OP's not doing his/her "little boxster" any good by driving it like that all the time.
Quote:

Are you saying that you rarely shift above 3k ? You're missing 1/2 the fun.

+ 1 I shift at 3k until it warms up and I will shift at 6k-7k ,to drive are cars and never shift above 4K is crazy,the car comes alive at;6K and up,you are missing all the fun.

As for off the light racing,The Boxster is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW off the line, My Volvo S40 T5 will beat My Box. from 0-60 by more then 2 sec.

I love my Box.but would never street race it. I have tracked it once and it was a lot of fun, now I track my lotus, it is a better track car and a lot cheaper to track then my Box.now my box is my DD and I love it,as others have said,just drive you Box. and enjoy it.

jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote