Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #1

Convertible Top - Bad Alignment

Can somebody tell me what I can do to fix this? It only occurs on the driver side. Thanks.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

2007 Porsche (just out of warranty). Mine does it, too. When you find the answer, please post.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

There is a strap in the inside that has come lose. I believe it's a velcro piece that goes around a round post. Slightly lower the top and just align it when closing the top or strap it back on.
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #4

The cable that runs along the edge has come lose...you will need to remove the side carpet piece to get it reattached...it is held in by a screw.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

the primary issue that causes this is a retainer spring. it's item number 21 in the diagram below. it looks like a black rectangular plate, but it's actually a spring. over time, it sags & stop guiding the canvas into the frame slot.

the solution is pretty simple: remove the spring, flip it over, & reinstall.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

Thank you all for the input. When I get a chance I will try to fix this and let you know what happens.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

There is a good article in Mike Focke's site about this issue.
It is oriented towards the 986, but the 987 is similar.
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
Can somebody tell me what I can do to fix this? It only occurs on the driver side. Thanks.

The article on Mike Focke's website covers all possible causes for the "cable falling outside the guide channel".

The most common cause is the tearing of the velcro straps, so I would check that first. There are photos in the article. If that ends up being the cause and you need photos, let me know and I'll look for them and post them here.

Next, also check to make sure that the cable has not come undone from its fastening point under the B-Pillar.

If yours is a 987, the looped string that looks like a shoelace is a common failure point, and it ends up sticking out a little from the edge of the top over the rear section of either one or both side windows.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 03-17-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typographical error
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

I am having some difficulty understand the location of the issue. Here is a pic that I can provide so will somebody please modify it and show me where it needs to be fixed? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
I am having some difficulty understand the location of the issue. Here is a pic that I can provide so will somebody please modify it and show me where it needs to be fixed? Thanks.

The blue arrow shows that your velcro straps appear to be intact.

However, the part circled in red, which looks like an elastic band should not be dangling there. The elastic band is normally attached to a piece on either side of the centerline of the roof and then there are two elastic bands (one on each side) that are then attached to shoelace-type strings which are then fastened to a small plastic "ear" on each side of the frame.

From your photo (the photo is not very clear), it looks as though the elastic band may have been ripped apart from where it is normally attached to the center piece.

Regards, Maurice.
Attached Images

Last edited by schoir; 03-26-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: insert photo
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #11

Directly below maurice's red circle, you see two torx bolts right next to one another. These hold the guide spring plate I mentioned. Remove the bolts and flip the spring over.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote