Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #1

convertible help

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Atlanta area that has experience working on tops? My regular mechanic doesn't have much experience with these and I really don't want to go to a dealer.

Last night I was on my way to meet a pretty young thang and when I was closing the top I could hear a grinding noise behind the drivers side. Sounded like plastic grinding. The top moved very slowly, but it did close all the way, although the light for the top stayed on. So today I'm checking on it when I hear a loud pop and now part of my clamshell assembly is sticking out. Here's a picture: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/m3OZ3TkwX0kV4kmuJgJQjBYZOmBK2UdFwgDkcorrjzc?feat=d irectlink

I'm pretty handy and even put a new canvas on the top last summer but I think this problem is out of my league.

This is an 01 S model. Thanks for the help, gents.

highsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #2

There is a rod with a plastic end that most likely has broken. I have provided a link to Pelican Parts. Look at the Push Rods and then check yours...I bet one has broken.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/986M/POR_986M_BDYcon_pg1.htm

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

The plastic piece on the end of the rod definitely broke on the passenger side. I can see it. If I try to raise or lower it only the passenger side moves. The drivers side is all the way down and doesn't budge.

The passenger side, as you can tell from the picture, is all messed up. It looks like it has a compound fracture, there is an attachment piece sticking out of the car.

Questions:
1. So I'm guessing the transmission for the drivers side is shot. Can this be repaired or must it be replaced?

2. How do I open the clamshell now to get this attachment part back in it's socket?

3. Still looking for a mechanic suggestion in Atlanta. I really don't have much time to work on this myself in the next few weeks if it's going to take several hours.

thanks guys!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #4

OK I think I'm going to be able to take care of this myself. Turns out the grinding sound I heard was the cable binding and being destroyed. The transmission seems to be just fine. So I just need a new cable and push rod.

Also I need the little clip that holds the hydraulic piece to the clamshell. Mine snapped in two. I don't see it on the pelican parts page.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsmith
OK I think I'm going to be able to take care of this myself. Turns out the grinding sound I heard was the cable binding and being destroyed. The transmission seems to be just fine. So I just need a new cable and push rod.

Also I need the little clip that holds the hydraulic piece to the clamshell. Mine snapped in two. I don't see it on the pelican parts page.

These people are near Atlanta....http://www.********************************************.com/

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsmith

If the only piece you need is the clip that locks the "hydraulic" black pushrod's horizontal pin into the body-colored clamshell support arm, that part number is 999.166.075.02.

Those clips rarely break, but they can deform. There's a possibility you might find it somewhere in the convertible top well, or in the foam drain tray on that side.

Don't forget to check to make sure that if it has fallen into the foam drain pan, that it hasn't gone down into the drain cup under the drain hole in that foam drain tray. That might lead to a clog and then you may get water in the cabin, under the driver's seat, where it will promptly fry your central alarm computer.

BTW, if you replaced the canvas part of the top yourself, this repair is definitely not out of your league.

Regards, Maurice.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote