Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #1

What is the best convertable top and where do I get one

I have a 2000 Boxster with a 3 yr old top that looks like it is 40 yrs old. I have cleaned, sealed and used plexi cleaner on the window. The back window is fogged, the thread is falling apart and ect..... What a good heavy top that won't fade so bad, glass window and good thread that won't rot. Florida sun is very rough! I'm on the West Coast of FL so anybody know a good custom top builder or a top end out of the box product?

Thanks!

Sherri Belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

I would look into a good condition complete top off an '03 or '04 from a dismantler. It's a bolt-on and has the glass window.

A popular alternative that re-uses your existing structure is the GAHH top, but the window is smaller, and there's some concern about maintenance access.

Do a Search on the forum for a lot of discussion on this topic.

Last edited by clickman; 02-18-2011 at 10:22 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

I am happy with my GAHH top.

Get the acoustic material. It's nearly as quiet as my hardtop.

The GAHH has a smaller glass rear window. The size is fine, but the difference in visibility between glass and plastic is night and day!

You will need to find an installer, it's not a do-it-yourself job.

GAHH is a site sponser.

/
Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

GAHH's site, http://gahh.com/, has a link near the bottom to Find an Installer in your area.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Belden
I have a 2000 Boxster with a 3 yr old top that looks like it is 40 yrs old. I have cleaned, sealed and used plexi cleaner on the window. The back window is fogged, the thread is falling apart and ect..... What a good heavy top that won't fade so bad, glass window and good thread that won't rot. Florida sun is very rough! I'm on the West Coast of FL so anybody know a good custom top builder or a top end out of the box product?

Thanks!
Installing a replacement canvas on your original frame is not an easy DIY, but it has been done by quite a number of posters.

I concur with the recommendation of installing an OEM top and frame from an '03 or '04 Boxster. On your 2000, it's a one hour DIY installation.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote