Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Reseal the "Lager Deckel" ?

So today I called the local Porsche dealer to get an idea of what it will cost to rehab the RMS, IMS and Clutch. I was told those 3 items would cost about $3500. That would be 18 hours of labor at $104 each, about $860 for the clutch, $520 for the IMS bearing and then I guess they needed another $400 for the $14 RMS seal and all the other misc. parts and such. I think the parts prices are excessive. I asked the service manager if he sees many IMS failures. He said they had 3 in the last year. We are a small market here in Idaho.

He said while they were in there, they would also reseal the engine bolts and the "Lager Deckel".

Here is the big question. What is the Lager Deckel ? ( I hope it isn't something like a '49 Henway )

I also asked about having a 4 wheel alignment. Quoted at $189.00. Is that a fair price ? Can a Boxster be properly aligned at a regular alignment shop ?

I also called our local Indy Porsche shop. He can do the RMS and clutch, but won't do IMS. Says he is not equiped to do it and isn't sure if is just hysteria. He said in all his years he had only seen 1 fail.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 AM   #2

$3500 seems a bit much. that, and $860 is a lot for the clutch. FYI, a Spec stage 1 is about $500.

$520 is awful high for an OEM IMS bearing, too. should be more like $250. the LN bearing is over $500, but it's quite different from the factory version.

18 hours of labor is crazy. i could do all of this in under 8hrs taking my sweet ass time with NO helpers and no air.

the lager deckel is located just below the flux capacitor & right next to the headlight fluid reservoir.

as for the alignment? a regular shop can do it fine. just make sure you get a print-out of the before & after. 'within spec' is not good enough; you want things to match farily well from side to side. FYI, i found a place with the newest hunter machine that charges me $60 for all 4 corners. it takes them 30min and they nail it every time.

as for the indy shop? show him the instructions on the LN site. if he won't do it, ask him if he'll let you do it while the transmission is off. it's worthwhile insurance IMO.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #3

I think the lager deckel is the engine cover. I guess resealing it would involve replacing the rubber around the edges. I wouldn't think this is necessary preventative maintenance, unless noise/fumes are coming into the cabin.
BTW Whats a henway?

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
JTP

Lagerdeckel is a bearing cap or cover.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #5

Garage
A year or so ago I was quoted around $2100 from an indy in Kansas City for the things you mentioned, with the exception of this lagerdeckel thing?? My Boxster came from Scholfield Porsche in Wichita. When I bought it a couple of years ago I asked the same ims questions of the service manager at the time. He said he had seen one ims failure and it was on a 996. Then I asked how long he had been a Porsche service manager. His reply; "16 years or so"... There's only three P-dealers in KS so I'm guessing our market isn't any bigger than Idaho's.

Off subject: had a friend from Potlatch, ID. I told him he needed to rent the movie 'My own private Idaho' and that it was a movie all about Idaho. (not!).. Wonder if he ever saw it... :-)

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #6

From what I've read, the lagerdeckle is the cam cover...

or it could have something to do with my favorite beverage!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM   #7

Lager Deckel is literally "bearing cover", as in the IMS bearing cover and seals...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
So today I called the local Porsche dealer to get an idea of what it will cost to rehab the RMS, IMS and Clutch.

He said while they were in there, they would also reseal the engine bolts and the "Lager Deckel".

Here is the big question. What is the Lager Deckel ?
In spite of the wonderful help on this site in giving translations from Der Vaterland, I would have to think twice about using a service that can't provide the information to the customer in as simple a manner as possible, including English.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

JFP is the winner. Lagar Deckel is the IMS bearing cover. The service manager faxed me an exploded view drawing showing the part which is the IMS bearing cover. That he is calling the Lagar Deckel. IMS bearing cover or retainer would suffice.

I kind of thought my local Porsche dealer was smoking crack on the parts and labor prices. I found another indy shop just 2.5 miles from my house who said he can do it all for much less. I'm going to get a written quote from him.

I would like the buy the parts myself and just have him install them. I'll need to ask.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

While the dealer prices may seem high compared to a indie shop or DIY, they are about right for dealer pricing (which will always be very high).

For comparision, my wife had the BMW dealer put a new clutch in our 325i last year when I was on an extended business trip. Price = $1350.

If you can do a quality job yourself, you'll spend the least as a DIY. If your local shop can do it, then that route will be cheaper than the dealer. If you or the indie shop can't do it, well, then you're left with the dealer.

My only advice is to be sure that its done right because it never cheaper to remove your engine twice!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #11

The local indie guy is an older gentleman who claims to have almost 50 years experience working on Porshce cars. Hmmm ! Well he must be a great Porsche mechanic because his name is Hans.