Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Got my PPI today - what now?

PPI'd a 04 Box S with 6spd today, but it left me with some questions.

It has 44k miles, was a one owner car but I don't know who, nor can I find previous service records; I'm still searching.

The biggest concern is wettness (not dripping) under the RMS. The mechanic says he sees no evidence that the engine has ever been worked on. So I'll assume that the RMS has not been replaced before. Mechanic says that oil in that area can also come from the engine case seem. I feel better (or should I?) that the RMS has not been changed before because I feel there is less chance of the crank shaft being out of balance or something like that. The mechanic says that normally he would not even tell the customer of the condition, not unless it was actually dripping.

So I could let it go with the assurance of my extended warranty which is good for another 30k miles. At that point, if I still have the car, I would do the clutch, IMS, RMS, etc.

There is also some small grease drops that was flung by the inside edge of the CV boots; no tears in the boots though.

I also noticed some oily dirt on the rear left strut. And there was a blue stain on the left bank at the front and back of the head gasket. I'm trying to post pics of this stuff. The mechanic had no idea what it was.

So do I love this car or give it the cold shoulder?

Attached Images

baxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

bump

I have to decide by thursday if I'm going to keep this car. Besides the stuff I mentioned, it's in great shape.

What say you?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #3

i say love it. what do you have to lose? you also have a warranty. enjoy!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

Whose warranty?

It matters what they cover and how
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
PPI'd a 04 Box S with 6spd today, but it left me with some questions.

It has 44k miles, was a one owner car but I don't know who, nor can I find previous service records; I'm still searching.

The biggest concern is wettness (not dripping) under the RMS. The mechanic says he sees no evidence that the engine has ever been worked on. So I'll assume that the RMS has not been replaced before. Mechanic says that oil in that area can also come from the engine case seem. I feel better (or should I?) that the RMS has not been changed before because I feel there is less chance of the crank shaft being out of balance or something like that. The mechanic says that normally he would not even tell the customer of the condition, not unless it was actually dripping.

So I could let it go with the assurance of my extended warranty which is good for another 30k miles. At that point, if I still have the car, I would do the clutch, IMS, RMS, etc.

There is also some small grease drops that was flung by the inside edge of the CV boots; no tears in the boots though.

I also noticed some oily dirt on the rear left strut. And there was a blue stain on the left bank at the front and back of the head gasket. I'm trying to post pics of this stuff. The mechanic had no idea what it was.

So do I love this car or give it the cold shoulder?

For me - service records are big. Folks that take care of cars keep the service records. Buying from a dealership? Did they throw service records away? hmmmmm

"Wetness" around the rear main seal is common on these cars. Even a minor leak really isn't that unusual. This wouldn't scare me from buying the car.

Extended warranty from who? Porsche or 3rd party?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmike
For me - service records are big. Folks that take care of cars keep the service records. Buying from a dealership? Did they throw service records away? hmmmmm

"Wetness" around the rear main seal is common on these cars. Even a minor leak really isn't that unusual. This wouldn't scare me from buying the car.

Extended warranty from who? Porsche or 3rd party?
Dealers in California say that due to privacy laws, thay can't reveal who the previous owner is. So they can't include records because that would reveal the PO. Smoke screen? I don't know.

The extended warranty is through Carmax and administered by one of the major players in the industry. Worth the paper it's written on? Guess I'll find out if I keep the car.

Last edited by baxster; 01-18-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #7

I did another PPI

I did another PPI today because I suspect the accuracy of the first one. The new PPI say that I need a new clutch. Bummer!

So now we'll see if Carmax will fix it on their 30 day warranty. The warranty says the clutch is covered if it slips or chatters. It doesn't slip but it did chatter on me once and sometimes doesn't feel quite right. The PPI mechanic says that the clutch pedal is high and hard and the release bearing squeaks.

I doubt if Carmax will fix it. If that's the case, I will return it.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #8

I spoke to someone who worked at a Carmax once and they told me they would never buy a car there (Porsche specifically). They said there likely was a reason it ended up at Carmax in the first place. I've also had several instances of individuals who purchased their car to only discover it had an IMS failure days later, for which they're completely on the hook for.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #9

On the other hand

buy at the right price and change the clutch, RMS and IMS and you have solved several potential problems. I'd be concerned with that blue stuff and not knowing what occasioned it. Sounds as if some work was done and who knows by who or how well.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
buy at the right price and change the clutch, RMS and IMS and you have solved several potential problems.
Carmax is not known for lowering their price, so it will be interesting to see what they do. If they want to drop it by $3k, would that be enough to do the clutch, IMS LN upgrade, and RMS?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

rear strut too

Lets don't forget the oily strut. That's a sign that it has failed. You will need to replace both rear struts at the same time. Get a quote on having that fixed. I think book time is pretty high.

With this age and mileage, you also most likely need a front motor mount and water pump too.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
Carmax is not known for lowering their price, so it will be interesting to see what they do. If they want to drop it by $3k, would that be enough to do the clutch, IMS LN upgrade, and RMS?
should be enough even if you need a new flywheel.
if you don't need flywheel, it should cost closer to $2K.
I'm doing my car next week, that was the estimate that I got (the shop is listed in LN engineering dealer/installer list).
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy986
Lets don't forget the oily strut. That's a sign that it has failed. You will need to replace both rear struts at the same time. Get a quote on having that fixed. I think book time is pretty high.
Good point. Carmax 30 day says it covers leaking shocks. Both PPI's were not concerned about the wet strut or the wettness at the back of the engine. If Carmax fixes the clutch, then I'm sure they would do the struts too.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #14

If I were you, I would walk away from this deal. Too many good cars out there for sale to take a chance on a questionable one.
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
Certified Boxster Addict

First, good job on getting a PPI! You spent the smartest $200-$300 you'll ever spend.

Unless CarMax is willing to fix all of this or reduce the price, I'd also say to walk away from this one. There are a lot of Boxsters out there and you are sure to find one without an RMS seep, bad clutch, and a leaking shock.

I wouldn't put much faith in the CarMax warranty. Used car warranties are notoriously poor.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote