View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
baxster

Got my PPI today - what now?

PPI'd a 04 Box S with 6spd today, but it left me with some questions.

It has 44k miles, was a one owner car but I don't know who, nor can I find previous service records; I'm still searching.

The biggest concern is wettness (not dripping) under the RMS. The mechanic says he sees no evidence that the engine has ever been worked on. So I'll assume that the RMS has not been replaced before. Mechanic says that oil in that area can also come from the engine case seem. I feel better (or should I?) that the RMS has not been changed before because I feel there is less chance of the crank shaft being out of balance or something like that. The mechanic says that normally he would not even tell the customer of the condition, not unless it was actually dripping.

So I could let it go with the assurance of my extended warranty which is good for another 30k miles. At that point, if I still have the car, I would do the clutch, IMS, RMS, etc.

There is also some small grease drops that was flung by the inside edge of the CV boots; no tears in the boots though.

I also noticed some oily dirt on the rear left strut. And there was a blue stain on the left bank at the front and back of the head gasket. I'm trying to post pics of this stuff. The mechanic had no idea what it was.

So do I love this car or give it the cold shoulder?
Attached Images

baxster is offline   Reply With Quote