Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Tire and interior questions

I'll make this short and sweet.

1) Does a Boxster with traction control need both of the rear tires replaced at a time even if the other is only 1500 miles old?

2) The only way I can describe them are the "running boards". If you were to open the driver door and look down at the latches that open the trunks, it would be that plactic piece that they reside on parallel with the seat. How difficult are those to take off and potentially respray? The Boxster I am looking at has a few very weird spots along those in which the paint has chipped or rubbed through.

How difficult would It be to color match the Boxster Red interior?

Thanks in advance.

spennybenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennybenny
I'll make this short and sweet.

1) Does a Boxster with traction control need both of the rear tires replaced at a time even if the other is only 1500 miles old?

2) The only way I can describe them are the "running boards". If you were to open the driver door and look down at the latches that open the trunks, it would be that plactic piece that they reside on parallel with the seat. How difficult are those to take off and potentially respray? The Boxster I am looking at has a few very weird spots along those in which the paint has chipped or rubbed through.

How difficult would It be to color match the Boxster Red interior?

Thanks in advance.

It's call PSM= Porsche Stability Management (aka. please save me or please save my Porsche). Not traction control. No, they don't both need to be replaced, but a dealership will tell you they do. Just make sure all 4 tires match for brand, and model.

Give Eric a call at Bumperplugs if you have questions about painting interior Porsche parts.

For Porsche leather colors, talk to JoAnn at www.colorplus.com.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

Awesome thanks
spennybenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #4

Garage
Traction Control was a option on early Boxsters until PSM was available in 2000 or 2001.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

In regards to the replacement of a single tire (per axle), the best recommendation is to replace the used tire if it has less than 70% tread remaining.

Tread remaining is a much better criteria than how many miles might be on a tire because different tires and how they were driven can result in a huge difference in tire wear.

With only 1,500 miles on the tires, the remaining tire probably has more than 70% of its tread left, but its best to check it just to be sure.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote