Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Keep that attitude.. If you ever end up a statistic, you'll understand that a certain reality exists. That happened to at least 3 people that I know this year, to include one of our most vocal critics..

I simply state what we experience as a reality, we do see a higher concentration of failed engines, because that is our specialty and we see them from all over the country.

Not taking some sort of a preventive measure, even if its just a change in driving style, simply isn't wise.

FWIW- We'd much rather carry out preventive measures, instruct classes, provide resource materials and develop the engines instead of creating updated engines.. We provided more updated engines in 2010 than I wanted, and 2011 already has a jump start thats twice as heavy as we entered into 2010 with..

BTW- We are closed this week, but that didn't mean that the problems took the week off.. When I logged into the phone system today we had three failure calls since Thursday.
failed engines? it only happens to Boxsters? they were built to drive! drive the damn things! I do--120k on a 97 and runs great--I had a chevy blow up once--haha

danyl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986
+ 1, It is a lot cheeper to upgrade IMS,RMS & water pump then to replace a motor.
What is the approximate cost to do the IMS, RMS & water pump upgade?
IndyGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #23

what driving style?

Quote:
Not taking some sort of a preventive measure, even if its just a change in driving style, simply isn't wise.
What kind of a diving style is needed to be considered "preventive measures"?
I've read that tracked boxes seem to have less LMS failures. So I'm hoping the answer is something like "don't lug the engine".
baxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGreg
What is the approximate cost to do the IMS, RMS & water pump upgade?
Figure ~14-17 hours depending on Tip vs Manual

RMS is like $15, IMSR $500-600 depending on single or dual row,
water pump and gasket ~$250.

so depending on your shop rate you have your ball park estimate.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Met a guy yesterday with 208,000 miles on his 1998 Boxster. No engine problems whatsoever.

Anectdotal evidence is just that. We can all find as many examples as we want to backup our position.

As for me, I am going with the best data that there is and that is Consumer Reports reliability history which says that Boxster engines are very reliable.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #26

Quote:

"Not taking some sort of a preventive measure, even if its just a change in driving style, simply isn't wise."

What kind of a diving style is considered "preventive" to help prevent a LMS failure?
I've read that tracked Boxsters seem to have less LMS failures. So I'm hoping the answer is something like "don't lug the engine".
Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #27

bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
Quote:

"Not taking some sort of a preventive measure, even if its just a change in driving style, simply isn't wise."

What kind of a diving style is considered "preventive" to help prevent a LMS failure?
I've read that tracked Boxsters seem to have less LMS failures. So I'm hoping the answer is something like "don't lug the engine".
Jake Raby doesn't need to answer. Anyone input would be helpful.

I like to drive on the aggressive side so if the consensus is to drive on the conservative side to help decrease the chance of a LMS failure, I might have to look for a different car to buy.

I would consider a LMS upgrade when I felt the clutch needs to be replaced, But I would like to squeeze out as many miles until then.

BTW, I don't have a Box yet, but I'm getting primed for one.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxster
Jake Raby doesn't need to answer. Anyone input would be helpful.

I like to drive on the aggressive side so if the consensus is to drive on the conservative side to help decrease the chance of a LMS failure, I might have to look for a different car to buy.

I would consider a LMS upgrade when I felt the clutch needs to be replaced, But I would like to squeeze out as many miles until then.

BTW, I don't have a Box yet, but I'm getting primed for one.
Wondering this as well, the owner says it is better not to lug it around, but he also thinks the 997 carrera 19" rims are stock on a 97 as well lol
spennybenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #29

If you go on LN engineering's website (to the best of my knowledge), they describe that aggressive driving and staying in the middle of the powerband is your best bet for engine longevity and keeping the IMS bearing happy. Lugging is not desirable.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #30
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I'm beginning to believe it's a crap shoot. I treated this car like every other Porsche I've had (no engine failures since 1974), but this one failed while simply trying to start it.

I had every intention of replacing the RMS, IMS, and water pump as soon as it needed a clutch. Clutch still works.....

Still don't know why it failed, have been too busy and the shop is too full, so it's under a cover and outside enjoying the snow.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote