Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #1

Porsche Factory Tour

I was able to get into the Porsche Factory tour in mid January. Absolutely awesome! Watched production of every model from a Boxster to racing GT3. Very informative and the most interesting part was the "lack" of production robots. Our cars are built by man and not by robots! Also checked out several Cayennes in the factory -- the turbo V8 sounds intense at 6000 rpm......

The factory dealer/showroom has several cars of each model for sale: All within one showroom. Just bring your wallet/credit card.

Highly recommended!

Pic of the area is attached (with some "Porsche lover" )

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:38 AM   #2

Talking Cool!

Hey that is cool. I was in Germany as you know just a while ago too. Unfortunately I did not have time to go to Stuttgart for a tour. Maybe next time. Glad you enjoyed the visit, it must be pretty neat to see.

Any other pictures from your trip? Did you get to Munich? Where else did you go while you were over there?

Not sure if I posted the URL for the pictures from our trip to Europe here, but this is it.

http://homepage.mac.com/bliemel

Saw quite a few Porsches over there, 911 series, Carreras and about 10 Boxsters.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:48 PM   #3

Yes, the factory tour was very good. It is rather difficult to set-up; typically, 4-6 months waiting list. Must either go through a dealer or Porsche-North America to do the paperwork. I am thinking about my next Porsche as a Factory pick-up.

I was in Europe for about 3 weeks: Florence/Tuscany Italy for 1 week, followed by 2 weeks in Holland for business (Amsterdam, Amersfoort, Hoeverlaken, and Barneveld) with a weekend in Genk, Belgium and 3 days in Germany (Koln, Frankfurt, Stuttgart). I saw quite a few P-cars in Germany, espeically in Stuttgart (all models). Only a few Porsche's in Italy, but did see a couple of Enzo cars. I only recall 1 or 2 Porsche's in The Netherlands and Belgium. Mainly the usual European economy-minis/micros and quite a few Benz's and Audi's.

Yes, I did take alot of pictures -- around 500. Love the didital cameral technogy! I do not ahve a website so I am not sure how I can post some of my pictures. Suggestions are awlays appreciated!
ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:06 AM   #4
Ken
Bananaman

Factory Tour

We did the factory tour last June, a lot of fun, pictures of it on our website. Well not the factory but the museum anyway, no pics allowed in the factory.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:08 AM   #5

Heading to Waldbronn (about an hour from Stuttgart) for a week or so in December. Any advise on factory tour booking / best times to go from people who've been?

I looked to see if there are Porsche Weekends scheduled for then, but it looks like there aren't any.

Also, anyone have a list of 986 Tequipment only available in europe?
fishage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Sadly, that's not where my car (or most Boxsters) are made.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #7

GT3 Seats, might not fit in the overhead compartment...

Try Rennlist in the 996 or 997 section. Lots more international posters over there.
While you are over there ask them if there is any truth to the claim that the Finland build cars have reported fewer problems than the German builds.
I remmemeber hearing the claim that most Finnish Porsche workers have higher levels of education (virtually 99% have some degree) than their German counterparts who rely more heavily on immigrant labor from developing countries.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #8

Garage
I've heard the same things about Valmet..

No complaints thus far with 2 Valmet Boxsters.

Regarding the tour, we went through it in 2000 and Iwas struck by the following:
[list]number of buildings that encorporate the whole stuttgart factory--lots of small buildings compared to a typical NA assembly plant.
[list]
The engine assembly area; very small and neat to watch the assembler as the he builds the engine and moves it from station to station.
[list]Going through at the lunch break with the blue collar guys eating in the same cafeteria as management

[/ist] Workers have a beer with lunch at their work station--honest.
  • there was an area outside just as cars came off the assembly line with a lot of cars parked and people working on them--our guide said it was a rework area. I was real suprised to see guys yanking seats out and tweaking this and that.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishage
Also, anyone have a list of 986 Tequipment only available in europe?
I was wondering the same thing as I will be spending a week a month 30km from the factory and would like to accumulate some parts. So far the only thing I brought back were some 65W headlight bulbs for $20 a pair, and a set of wheels for my 911. That worked out pretty well, when you take them in pairs and check them as luggage there is no extra fee as long as you keep the weight within the rules. last year I also brought back a seat as if you read the rules, "car seats" get checked for free
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #10

Porsche factory circa 1990

While stationed in Germany, I was able to vist the factory 2-3 time. No waiting period. I was always amazed at the factory, customer service (even though I couldnt afford one then) and scenery.

Was also able to see the drivers test drive each Porsche every 12 minutes as they shot towards the autobahn.

Awesome. If you haven't been there and own a Porsche, it is a must see for this lifetime.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #11

you should go back and see how things have changed. I recall reading an interview from Porsche N.A.'s Chief saying they sold less than 1,000
911's this country in the whole year of 1991.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
you should go back and see how things have changed. I recall reading an interview from Porsche N.A.'s Chief saying they sold less than 1,000
911's this country in the whole year of 1991.

I'm betting sales are a LOT better these days. The Boxster started in 96/97 and world sales since then have skyrocketed.

I've still got the Porsche pin and sticker they gave to visitors back then. I'll find it and post pix.

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote