Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to St. Louis Boxster
the dreaded RMS problem

A year ago I had a leak in the Rear Main Seal repaired at the dealer. This AM I notice new oil sppots again on my garage floor in the same area. Plus as a bonus the Air Bag light came on. I've got on 04 with 12,000 miles so it's warranty work right now.

My question is.. since this has happened twice in a year, should I consider looking at a trade before the warranty runs out? I've been told that once RMS problems start in this repeated fashion they tend to not go away.

I love my Box but will quickly fall out of love of this becomes a way of life in Porscheland.

Any ideas?

Old 09-16-2006, 08:02 PM   #2

Damn, sorry to hear. I'm on the fence right now and am checking out an 04S with 12000 miles
red_wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #3

Getting off subject slightly, but what exactly is the problem with an RMS leak other than the spots on the garage floor?
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Boxster
A year ago I had a leak in the Rear Main Seal repaired at the dealer. This AM I notice new oil sppots again on my garage floor in the same area. Plus as a bonus the Air Bag light came on. I've got on 04 with 12,000 miles so it's warranty work right now.

My question is.. since this has happened twice in a year, should I consider looking at a trade before the warranty runs out? I've been told that once RMS problems start in this repeated fashion they tend to not go away.

I love my Box but will quickly fall out of love of this becomes a way of life in Porscheland.

Any ideas?

Hi,

2nd leak in a year? I'd be pressing Porsche for engine replacement before the warranty runs out.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #5

We had our RMS replaced about a year ago as well ('04 Boxster) during the first service at 15k.

We had the second service (at 26k) done before we went on vacation (3400 miles), After we got home, I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor.

I never detected any low oil reading on the dip stick.

I called the dealer and set up an appointment for the replacement. The Service Consultant told me that there was a recent re-design in the RMS and our first repacement was of the old design.

I got the car in and they did the replacement again. We have had a couple 600 mile trips since and, so far, no oil on the floor.
crzn427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzn427
We had our RMS replaced about a year ago as well ('04 Boxster) during the first service at 15k.

We had the second service (at 26k) done before we went on vacation (3400 miles), After we got home, I noticed a small oil spot on the garage floor.

I never detected any low oil reading on the dip stick.

I called the dealer and set up an appointment for the replacement. The Service Consultant told me that there was a recent re-design in the RMS and our first repacement was of the old design.

I got the car in and they did the replacement again. We have had a couple 600 mile trips since and, so far, no oil on the floor.

Hi,

I'm glad everything seems to be working out OK for you. But, be aware that the new seal hasn't fixed the issue entirely either. Have they measured the block? There is a procedure to measure the block to insure that it's within a certain tolerance. If so, the seal is replaced, if not, the engine is replaced.

Since the lister is under warranty, I'd be more inclined to argue for a replacement because a replaced seal could possiblty fail and no longer be covered by a warranty...

Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 AM   #7

Smile

"2nd leak in a year? I'd be pressing Porsche for engine replacement before the warranty runs out."

I am with Jim on this. However, I wonder if Porsche has actually ever done this for a customer?

BTW-I had a 911 that had gone through 2 RMS in its history. No note of a new engine on that one.

Hmmmm!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
bmussatti

St. Louis Boxster, I think there are 2 dealers in St. Louis...Plaza Motors and Parktown. Which one did the first RMS? Matbe you should try a different dealership too?

Press to meet with the Porsche Service Zone Manager too, if you don't get the cooperation (engine replacement) from the dealership that you deserve.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #9

All of sudden I don't feel like I am alone in this fiasco.. Thanks for all your input. I thought about the new engine angle, I think I'll pursue that a little harder since this is the 2nd RMS repair in one year.

Bmussatti I took it, bought it from Plaza. Good idea about Parktown.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
All of sudden I don't feel like I am alone in this fiasco.. Thanks for all your input. I thought about the new engine angle, I think I'll pursue that a little harder since this is the 2nd RMS repair in one year.

Bmussatti I took it, bought it from Plaza. Good idea about Parktown.
No, I think you may be alone. I've never heard of rms, Jk.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #11

I am in STL too, one advice would be to go to Reid Vann and speak with JOhn. Reid Vann (if you are not familiar with it) is a small shop across from Parktown, much more friendly than Plaza or Parktown (where I don't like to go as it is way too big and you feel like an number)

John is very honest, patient and experienced and would be able to give you good advice as he knows Porsches very well.

Good luck!

http://reidvann.com/
99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg

Last edited by vouvoune; 09-17-2006 at 05:11 PM.
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #12

Vanessa:

I've heard nothing but good news about Reid Vann, but, since I'm still under warranty, I'm probably stuck with Plaza or Parktown.

Look forward to seeing you around town !!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #13

Which model years had this problem?
EB847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB847
Which model years had this problem?
I think all of them! Unfortunately.

We have not heard about this with the 987. Hopefully not ever. But it will probably plague us too.

Tips have less occurrence that the manual tranny. And certain years have a higher occurrence than others.

There is lot of info on the Forum about the RMS. And there are a few dedicated threads complete with a survey.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:57 AM   #15

There were a few RMS reports from the 987. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
There were a few RMS reports from the 987. I don't think we are out of the woods yet.
Richard, from Forum members here? I forget if "we" had any here.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #17

We do have 987 members who hang here. I can't be sure that they have reported in with RMS. My service advisor told me the RMS is not resolved but a bit better due to the larger seal being used.

For what it is worth.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #18

Just a brief follow up..

I spoke with the service manager and inquired about an engine replacement since the problem has occurred twice in a year. He said they would do some kind of calibration check and if's an out of tolerance issue, the engine would be replaced. It goes in Monday, I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Just a brief follow up..

I spoke with the service manager and inquired about an engine replacement since the problem has occurred twice in a year. He said they would do some kind of calibration check and if's an out of tolerance issue, the engine would be replaced. It goes in Monday, I'll keep you all posted.

Hi,

FYI, almost all of the RMS issues spring from the center bore being out-of-tolerance. But, Porsche will only replace engines if a certain out-of-tolerance measurement is realized. Kind of saying "We know your car is f*cked-up, but if it's not f*cked-up enough, we won't replace the engine, you'll just have to perennially budget a grand or so for when it goes out the next time". Wonderful after-sale support! Good Luck!...

Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #20

lucky it is happening under warranty...

so yes, see you around STL..I'm pretty easy to spot since -so far- i seem to be the only chick in town in a boxster..Its such a feminie car, I don't get why that is!!!

It feels like we don;t have many "top down" days left...tomorrow sounds like one, so enjoy!

99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg

Last edited by vouvoune; 09-21-2006 at 02:40 PM.
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote