Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Wow, resurrection of a zombie thread...2005!
this thread was posted 2 years before the invention of the internet

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:58 AM   #22

Garage
Question Oil spots noticed

Hi All - i know this is an old thread but hopefully someone can help with definitive advice.
2004 986 2.7 bought Jan this yr, 93000 miles on clock now - 8k put on by me .

Noticed oil spots on garage floor - cardboard, placed under car and left overnight - 1 spot of oil about size of thumb print.

When bought made sure the RMS had been addressed - was replaced in June 2013 (£460) Also had a new clutch assembly fitted then as well.

Had transmission fluid & brake fluid changed Aug 2015 (2 birds 1 stone).

Is the car safe to continue driving, making sure keep eye on oil levels (next service due 96K)

Or do you recommend taking to get service earlier - and asking to look into the leak at same time??
Z4oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:57 AM   #23
Beginner

Garage
Wow, night of the living thread!
Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 AM   #24
I am my own mechanic....

About where under the car was the oil spot? Pics of any drip of oil?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
About where under the car was the oil spot? Pics of any drip of oil?
Hi Timco - thanks for the constructive response.
I will need to try and take photos in couple of days to then add for you to help me
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #26

With my ride my crankshaft and oil nut leaks sometimes i drove off my ride from the garage. Did changed Twice but same problem persists.

SMS Marketing | Wordpress SMS Plugin | SMS Plugin | WP SMS Plugin

Last edited by samandrewsone; 10-06-2016 at 10:15 PM.
samandrewsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 AM   #27

In the past couple weeks I have noticed the same issue on my 2000 S with 20,000 miles. I have an appointment later this week for the pre-hibernation oil change and will have this issue inspected at that time and will report the findings here.

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #28

Oil on the garage floor

On my 2003 S, I had my IMS bearing replaced at about 44,000 miles. At the time, my RMS was bone dry and my independent garage recommended leaving well enough alone, which made sense to me. Around a year and 5,000 miles later I started seeing some oil spots on the garage floor, somewhere in the center of the rear of the car. In my case, I had 2 leaks - the RMS had started leaking and the oil filler tube was cracked. Had both items fixed, cleaned the oil off the garage floor, and the floor has stayed spotless.

On my car at least, there is a tray/panel/shield under engine and transmission that has some holes in it. I think that the oil leaks will drip down onto this panel and then migrate to a hole in the center of it. The oil filler starts out on the passenger side of the car, I don't know where it goes into the engine. I had 2 leaks, but only one central spot on the garage floor.

Hope this is helpful.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
On my 2003 S, I had my IMS bearing replaced at about 44,000 miles. At the time, my RMS was bone dry and my independent garage recommended leaving well enough alone, which made sense to me. Around a year and 5,000 miles later I started seeing some oil spots on the garage floor, somewhere in the center of the rear of the car. In my case, I had 2 leaks - the RMS had started leaking and the oil filler tube was cracked. Had both items fixed, cleaned the oil off the garage floor, and the floor has stayed spotless.

On my car at least, there is a tray/panel/shield under engine and transmission that has some holes in it. I think that the oil leaks will drip down onto this panel and then migrate to a hole in the center of it. The oil filler starts out on the passenger side of the car, I don't know where it goes into the engine. I had 2 leaks, but only one central spot on the garage floor.

Hope this is helpful.
Hi Timco & PaulE

I took some videos on my phone whilst sliding it under the vehicle - unfortunately cannot make out clearly where the spots have come from.

PaulE - thanks for comprehensive description
My vehicle is showing the same location as you have clearly described, and yesterday I called an indy to get their advice as well

He said that RMS even if replaced could start leaking again after a couple of years. I will be taking my car to get them to check it over by removing all the shields.

When did you have the works carried out on yours and what was the cost so I have a figure in mind BEFORE they quote.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #30

When I had both oil leaks fixed it cost around US$1,000 earlier this year. Note I didn't need a new clutch, pressure plate or release bearing, that was labor for removing the transmission, pressure plate and flywheel and re-install. new parts were the RMS, bolts to attach flywheel to crank and the oil filler tube. I am still on my original clutch and going strong at almost 54,000 miles now, knock on wood!

When I had my IMS bearing replaced, it was a bigger job labor cost wise. Even though they were going to the same place to do the work, for the IMS they also had to remove the rear bumper and spoiler to get the muffler or more of exhaust system off. So I was pleased that only the transmission had to be dropped to replace the RMS.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #31

Before you get too excited, check the oil filter canister. Last mo my LE started to leave a drop of oil overnight. Figured the RMS was going. Was about ready to take it to the dealer for a clutch / RMS job but decided to crawl underneath and look. The oil filter canister was loose so I tightened it up - drip gone. Now I can wait til spring to do the clutch and will do RMS too.

To anyone doing a clutch and / or IMS replacement, do the RMS too. The seal itself is less than $20 and well worth doing, regardless how 'good' it might look. As long as you already have the trans off, might as well do the preventive maintenance. Porsche still hasn't figured out how to make a seal that won't leak.

Maybe in a clp yrs we can resurrect this thread again for a 4th go-round.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #32

Garage
Return visit due to Indy

I managed to get the car to a tyre fitting company as they were willing to get the car up in the air to take a look for me at NIL cost.
He asked if i had any fluid replacements recently - i said yes the manual trans oil - he said that is where it seems to be leaking from, around transmission screw plug - he allowed me to take a look as well - without removing any of the shields - Advised to take back and make sure they top it back up

When I talked to the Indy who carried out the work - he didn't want to believe the word of another garage.

Due to take it back Monday 19th - will also be taking the invoice covering the "work" they carried out as my proof.

Will post result afterwards
Old 10-19-2015, 01:31 AM   #33

Garage
Crisis Averted

Hi everyone, good news.

After the garage removed the shield and got under the engine it was found that the gearbox transmission fluid top up plug was where the leak was coming from. (5* to National Tyres for correctly identifying )

PTFE applied to the plug - the level of oil in the gearbox was ok.

Refitted and now monitoring again.

Now all I need to do is figure out what 18" tyres to put on as this is where i had my monies earmarked for