Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #1

Convertible roof not working

Roof problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a roof problem, the handbrake is up, the gear in neutral, when I diss-engage the roof latch the windows come down as normal. However when I press the switch to bring the top down..... nothing!!!, i tapped the interior light area and it worked again, it was like this for a week or 2 until it packed in completely. Now, I was under the impression the interior light microswitch was only for the windows to come down?? Does this also send a message to the switch?? or should I be looking at the handbrake?
This is confusing me, can someone clarify/help?
Thanks Jason

J60SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #2

If I am not mistaken, there are two micro switches there. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J60SON
Roof problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a roof problem, the handbrake is up, the gear in neutral, when I diss-engage the roof latch the windows come down as normal. However when I press the switch to bring the top down..... nothing!!!, i tapped the interior light area and it worked again, it was like this for a week or 2 until it packed in completely. Now, I was under the impression the interior light microswitch was only for the windows to come down?? Does this also send a message to the switch?? or should I be looking at the handbrake?
This is confusing me, can someone clarify/help?
Thanks Jason
Assuming that your emergency brake light is on when you pull up on the handbrake, the most likely suspect is one of the two microswitches that are located in the latch receptacle in the windshield frame.

There are two microswitches in the latch receptacle assembly. There is one on the left side of the assembly (has a large plunger that juts out when the latch is open). That one controls the 4" window drop that occurs immediately when you pull down the latch to open the top. There is another one on the right side of the assembly, and that is the one that activates the convertible top double relay.

My guess is that the latter switch is faulty/intermittent, even though it may appear to be intact when you visually inspect it, and sometimes even when you test it with a multimeter. Specifically, take a close look at the solder joints where the leads attach to the plug. This can be hard to detect, so check it with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks in the solder joint and for corrosion. If necessary, heat up the connections with a soldering iron and flow a tiny bit of solder onto the suspect joint(s).

The one clue I am relying on from your description is that when you tap on the latch receptacle, it starts to work. Believe it or not, even the temperature (sun light, A/C blowing on it, etc...) can affect it to the point where the connection is broken and then re-established.

To gain access to the microswitch you have to remove the latch plate at the center of the windshield frame. Pop out the two little black plastic "eyes" by carefully prying them off with a very small flat blade screwdriver or borrow one of those "orange sticks" that women use on their fingernails to pry them out. Remove the small torx bolt that you will find under each one of the two eyes. Remove them and then pull down the latch plate carefully until you can see and access the wires for the switch and for the light. Unplug the wires and the latch plate will come off. You will find two fragile retaining clips that attach the switch to the underside of the latch plate. These are easy to break, so use a pair of small needle nose pliers to pull them off, very gently. You can reuse these if you are careful by squeezing the cross sections that are located at the center of the clips until they are flattened.

Let me know if you need a photo and I'll look for one in my files.

On rare occasions there is a dead spot in the electric motor that drives the transmissions, but I don't think that is the case here.

Also double check the two fuses B6 and D3 visually AND by using a multimeter there as well, as one of them also provides power to the double relay.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #4

Roof

Maurice,

Fantastic, I did what you said and low and behold one of the flat contact strips solder had come away from its point. I manually held the 2 points and it worked.

I will now aquire a small soldering iron and repair accordingly.

Many thanks for your help, saved my a few quid there!!!

Thanks again.
J60SON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J60SON
Maurice,

Fantastic, I did what you said and low and behold one of the flat contact strips solder had come away from its point. I manually held the 2 points and it worked.

I will now aquire a small soldering iron and repair accordingly.

Many thanks for your help, saved my a few quid there!!!

Thanks again.
That's what I call jumping on it!

Just hold the soldering iron on there briefly enough to just make the solder flow and you should be all set.

Glad that you saved a trip to the stealer!

Regards, Maurice.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #6

Thanks so much

My top has been intermittent for quite some time and my wife just quit using it.

I am a bit more adventurous and put the top down and up every once and a while.

It finally got stuck mid-transition with the back lid high in the air.

I looked on the forum and low and behold you guys had discussed this issue and solved it for several people. Well you solved it for me too.

Thanks much Maurice your the best!!

Dave
dsprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsprince
My top has been intermittent for quite some time and my wife just quit using it.

I am a bit more adventurous and put the top down and up every once and a while.

It finally got stuck mid-transition with the back lid high in the air.

I looked on the forum and low and behold you guys had discussed this issue and solved it for several people. Well you solved it for me too.

Thanks much Maurice your the best!!

Dave
Dave:

It's not often that I have a hand in matrimonial harmony!

Glad to help!

Regards, Maurice.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #8

I don't understand the solution. I have a '00 boxster s. Are the 2 microswitches for the newer models? I just have a rocker switch and thats all. My top is working fine, but I wanted to understand what was being said here.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
I don't understand the solution. I have a '00 boxster s. Are the 2 microswitches for the newer models? I just have a rocker switch and thats all. My top is working fine, but I wanted to understand what was being said here.
You are confusing the rocker switch on the dashboard with the two microswitches inside the convertible top latch receptacle.

There are two microswitches inside: a plunger type microswitch and a microswitch with two parallel metal strips.

Each one of the two controls a separate function.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #10
Log

Thank you message board!!!

My top had been acting erratic ever since i had my windshield replaced a month ago. Finally, the top got stuck half way open. I searched the forum and found this thread.

-My windows came down the 4 inches. so latch microswith #1 in the latch was okay.

-The microswitch under the clamshell was working (light went out)

-parking brake light came on, so that microswitch was working

- the fuses looked fine...so that wasn't it

-Unscrewed the top latch assembly w/ a T25 bit. I put the key in, turned on the electrical power. I touched the metal strips on microswitch #2 with my finger, then voila.... the top closed when I touched the top button.

- next i'll find the bad solder joint and fix it when i get home from work.

For those who have fixed this issue... Should i look at the ends of the metal strips for the area where i need to solder? I could not see the bad solder at first glance.

thanks again!!

Very easy job to tackle if anyone has this problem... I'm no mechanic by any means.

Log is offline   Reply With Quote