Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

2001 Boxster Rear Window Repair

I have an '01 Boxster , the top is in excellent condition but the rear window is separated from top at one corner and has a crack in the middle. What are my options?

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

there are threads here on this subject. do a search for detailed info.

there are links all over this forum for GAHH tops. they are not cheap, you can get glass windows...but in general,, the glass tops are just the canvass/glass so you have to reuse your frame, and there are problems going to a glass window on the pre-03 frames..the top has to fold right where th eglass is...so to compensate, they make the window much smaller. it looks different and it makes access to the engine harder.

i had a small crack in my top - and like your top - my canvass is excellent..i just got a crack int ehp lastic. luckily my crack was VERY close to the edge/seam with the canvass and I was able to patch it with clear silicone adhesive. it' snot a perfect fix, but it's darn near perfect, and since my car has the top DOWN 90% of the time i drive it, i'm not too concerned with it being 100% perfect.

i have researched getting a new plastic window sewn in and I believe you can find a competent shop to do it for about $300-350. i've seen places wnat more, but you don't need to pay that much. ther are plenty of upholstery shops that do a LOT of converible window repair/replacement and they are skilled at doing it - will do it right - and won't rip you off.

1) upgrade your top. $$$$
2) fix your plastic window - free, but won't look perfect
3) replace hte plastic ~$350.

the one upside to glass that would really be nice is being able to drop the top while moving and not having to get out, do the chop, and get bsack in. i've really come to hate getting in/out to do that when I want to drop the top. if i could just unclick the latch, and pusht eh buttona nd put the top down, w/out having to get out - THAT woudl be awesome. THAT would be why i woudl upgrade to glass...but it's just not a cheap upgrade and with myh top being in such good condition i can't justify the cost on a car tha t- for me - is a weekend toy and gets driven so little. i can deal with the PITA factor. if my boxster was a DD, I'd have bought a newer/glass top equipped car or I'd upgrade.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #3

Dennis, if you're anywhere near northern NJ I recommend Stan's Auto Top, 43 Center St. in Chatham, (973) 635-3443. The owner Pete (not Stan) does a lot of Boxster tops and rear window replacements and is apparently a certified installer for GAHH tops. In fact he told me he has Boxster and 911 customers that have come from as far as away as Boston and VA. He did a great job on my rear window. Cost was around $500, which is far less than a new top.

He'll need to hang onto your car for a few days. There's a NJ Transit rail station in town, so if you can get home or close to home by public transportation, drop off an pickup can be pretty convenient.

Last edited by gschotland; 02-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

Unfortunately, I don't, but thank you. I am over 2 hrs away, looking for something on Long Island in NY
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #5

quoting my own post froom a few months ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Been there, did the fix myself with a kit. It is a lot of work, much more than I had anticipated. I would recommend you find a shop willing to stitch in a new window with the canvas still on the frame. The entire convertible top (canvas & frame) is surprisingly easy to remove. Most shops want to remove the canvas from the frame, that is where it gets expensive.

See also:
DYI rear plastic window.

Cracked Plastic

Replacing plastic back window '01 Boxster's Top

If your on Renntech I sort-of took over another thread about a top, there are a couple pics there as well as some discussion of the process:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/inde...287&#entry94287

I used a clear silicone caulking as a temp fix till it got too bad and ghetto looking.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
Unfortunately, I don't, but thank you. I am over 2 hrs away, looking for something on Long Island in NY
Dennis:

I am also on Long Island and have lots of experience with the tops. If you find a shop that is willing/able to sew in the plastic window without removing the canvas from the frame, I can help you get your entire top and frame assembly off if you are apprehensive about doing it by yourself(as soon as the temperature gets a little more reasonable around here). We can get the top off in less than 1 hour.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #7

Ii actually found someone in Huntington that does all top repairs for Porsche of Huntington. He couldnt give me a price over the phone without seeing it though. would much rather leave the top with someone than the entire vehicle. I may try to remove it myself. You have done this before? I would be willing to barter some labor with you- you hel me, I will help you, but if you are not ok with that, I will probably attempt to remove it myself. It is in a garage all winter.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis
Ii actually found someone in Huntington that does all top repairs for Porsche of Huntington. He couldnt give me a price over the phone without seeing it though. would much rather leave the top with someone than the entire vehicle. I may try to remove it myself. You have done this before? I would be willing to barter some labor with you- you hel me, I will help you, but if you are not ok with that, I will probably attempt to remove it myself. It is in a garage all winter.
Dennis:

I have removed and replaced a number of tops, including doing some retrofits with '03/'04 OEM glass windowed tops onto earlier 986's. Working on the cars is a hobby for me, so I'd be more than happy to help you remove yours anytime. Where are you located?

If you want to see the procedure, check out the write-ups on Mike Focke's Website, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Look specifically at the ones entitled "Having a replacement window sewn in", "Removing the Top and Frame" and the beginning of "Installing an '03-'04 Top and Frame on a '97-'02 Boxster".

Let me know if you need any help.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #9

If you have any doubts about Maurice

I should point out the articles he referenced were written by him. Yea, he does know his tops...probably the most frequent helper poster on several forums on the subject of tops.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Maurice is tops as a person and as an expert on the boxster tops. He helped me retrofit a 2003 model year factory softop with the glass window on my 2001 Boxster, and it's just awesome not having to worry about the dang plastic window cracking anymore. Looks better too. You can count on him without a doubt!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #11

I was in the same boat...a good canvas top with a cracked rear window. I bought a convertible to drive it as a convertible, so the top is down as much as possible, and only up in case of rain, etc. I took a different approach, and sewed in a piece of matching black canvas. Its a little dark in the cabin when the top is up, but I think that it gives the car a neat look with the solid black top. Plus I don't have to deal with big pickups blasting my retinas out with their healights through the rear window....I find that the rear view mirrors on the doors are adequate, and I know that the stupid rear window will never crack again......no more getting out of the car to do the "chop" when dropping the top.....

fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote