View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
23109VC

there are threads here on this subject. do a search for detailed info.

there are links all over this forum for GAHH tops. they are not cheap, you can get glass windows...but in general,, the glass tops are just the canvass/glass so you have to reuse your frame, and there are problems going to a glass window on the pre-03 frames..the top has to fold right where th eglass is...so to compensate, they make the window much smaller. it looks different and it makes access to the engine harder.

i had a small crack in my top - and like your top - my canvass is excellent..i just got a crack int ehp lastic. luckily my crack was VERY close to the edge/seam with the canvass and I was able to patch it with clear silicone adhesive. it' snot a perfect fix, but it's darn near perfect, and since my car has the top DOWN 90% of the time i drive it, i'm not too concerned with it being 100% perfect.

i have researched getting a new plastic window sewn in and I believe you can find a competent shop to do it for about $300-350. i've seen places wnat more, but you don't need to pay that much. ther are plenty of upholstery shops that do a LOT of converible window repair/replacement and they are skilled at doing it - will do it right - and won't rip you off.

1) upgrade your top. $$$$
2) fix your plastic window - free, but won't look perfect
3) replace hte plastic ~$350.

the one upside to glass that would really be nice is being able to drop the top while moving and not having to get out, do the chop, and get bsack in. i've really come to hate getting in/out to do that when I want to drop the top. if i could just unclick the latch, and pusht eh buttona nd put the top down, w/out having to get out - THAT woudl be awesome. THAT would be why i woudl upgrade to glass...but it's just not a cheap upgrade and with myh top being in such good condition i can't justify the cost on a car tha t- for me - is a weekend toy and gets driven so little. i can deal with the PITA factor. if my boxster was a DD, I'd have bought a newer/glass top equipped car or I'd upgrade.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote