Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Porschephile

Tighten the top?

I have no issues with my top meaning it works. No issues going up or down. But, when the top is up there are some squeaks that come from random place. I don't think it's rubber seals rubbing together. My brain is telling me something is loose. I've searched on here and have found threads about top tensioners but I think those relate more to the top functioning properly (going up and down). Are there any adjustments that can be made to reduce any squeaks and rattles? -Tom

Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze
I have no issues with my top meaning it works. No issues going up or down. But, when the top is up there are some squeaks that come from random place. I don't think it's rubber seals rubbing together. My brain is telling me something is loose. I've searched on here and have found threads about top tensioners but I think those relate more to the top functioning properly (going up and down). Are there any adjustments that can be made to reduce any squeaks and rattles? -Tom
Tomikaze:

If you think that the sqeaks are being caused by a "loose" top, there is a way to increase the tension on the top.

You can adjust the "tension ropes" that are attached on the bottom surface of the rear main bow. These are the cables that you have to detach when putting the top in the service position.

There is an adjusting bolt at the point where the lower end of each cable attaches to the steel ball. The bolt is 14mm and, IIRC, turning the bolts Clockwise will increase the tension on the top, as the rear main bow will be pulled down.

There is also an adjustment that can be made to the front pushrods on the V-levers. That adjustment affects the way in which the front edge of the top meets up with the windshield frame's top horizontal surface.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

eliminating 986 top noises

There is a simple fix for most Boxster top noises. Buy a tube of Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant and Sealant at your local industrial machine supply store. This is a thick, clear silicone grease designed to lubricate rubber seals and O-rings. Open the Boxster top until there is about 12-18 inches between the top and the windshield header. Now apply a thin coat of this lubricant to all the rubber seals on the top and to the surfaces to which they mate. Don't forget the gap between the two parts of the side window rubber seals. Also apply this stuff to all the door and window seals. This should eliminate all rubber-related squeaks. It's amazing how quiet your top will be.

Carl Seager is offline   Reply With Quote