Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
can anyone tell what brakes these are?
Jacabean,

I know who's the previous owner of your new boxster and all of the history that goes along with it. Let me know if you want the details.

Johnny

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #22

hey man, it would be great if you could give me some info on the , there was no paper work with it.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #23

i don't want to sound like a retard but i have owned a couple of boxsters and know people who have them and none of us had that IMS **************** happen. RMS yes . you mean to tell me every engine from this era is going to fail .
Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
hey man, it would be great if you could give me some info on the , there was no paper work with it.
You can PM me if you would like.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #25

Garage
Jason,

The vehicle was purchased new by a Pakistani gentleman who had ties to the Boston area. I recall, that within the first few hundred miles of ownership, the boxster was indeed sent to Roock USA for a major "tuner" program that involved an engine conversion, suspension, body kit upgrades ect... The boxster remained with Roock for well over a year while they tried in earnest to get the ecu programing correct. Ultimately, the project was completed, however, not without some bad feelings arising between the customer and Roock. As far as I know, the Boxster was well cared for and driven sparsely before the owner moved to Europe for employment reasons. While he was away (approximately 5 years ), the vehicle was left in the care of a family member and stored in southern Connecticut. It was just this summer that he returned to the Boston area and decided to take the boxster out of "moth balls". I am surprised to see that he decided to dispose of it. Its a very unique vehicle , one of the first of its kind in fact, and the owner went to great lengths to modify it. In any case, it sounds like you came across a real "find". Best of luck !

Johnny

p.s. May I ask what you purchased it for ? Originally, he wanted me to buy it for around 50K.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-10-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #26

Thanks a lot Johnny, That is very close to what I was told. All I can tell you is this car really is something . I put 400 miles on it since saturday , I can not stop driving it. I have owned 944s , E30 M3 , boosted Evo and boxsters . None of those were nearly as sorted as this car is. I know that it is going to be a bit quirky at times but that is something that comes along with a car of this type. this car will be driven the way it was meant to be.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #27

"You mean to tell me every engine from this era is going to fail?"

No, but I hope mine doesn't before I get the LN updated IMS bearing installed.

Enjoy the car and keep us updated.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #28
dalealan2001

You folks need to be careful concerning the "IMS failure" hyperbole on this board. There are users on this board that make a living woking on porsche's and selling aftermarket parts. And I have seen postings where some people claimed IMS failure in a post but have never posted again. It is easy in this day and age to "create" a market of fear then serve the needs of that market.

I am making no claims (for or against). I am just saying be careful.

Last edited by dalealan2001; 11-11-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #29

I am not into fear, but reality. A friend's 2000 2.7 imploded after just 10 hours of DE and AX events...IMS bearing failure. Car around 50k miles on the clock and was well taken care of, though it was filled with Mobil 1 0W40. He has purchased a used engine and is having all the current LN updates done before installation.

I have been a PCA instructor in the Chicago region for the last 10 years or so. We have a fair number of Boxsters and Caymans attending our events and not every one of them implodes.

It won't happen to everyone's car, but it does happen (on rare occasion)...just hope it isn't yours.

Last edited by jmatta; 11-11-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #30

Quote:
i don't want to sound like a retard but i have owned a couple of boxsters and know people who have them and none of us had that IMS **************** happen. RMS yes . you mean to tell me every engine from this era is going to fail .
Not really; but it is a real and ever present danger for the M96 engine. Some engines go well over 100K miles with the OEM bearing, and never have a problem. Others do not live anywhere near that long. How the car is used does not always appear to come into play; one customer with a 2.7 engine wails the snot out of it every chance he gets; no problems. Another owned by someone that takes immaculate care of the car and drives it in a more normal fashion loses two engines before trading the car for another brand. Another owner that takes equal car but drives the car hard on and off the track has had one fail as well.

Point is that the IMS issue is not fiction, it is not “marketing hype” created to sell remedial products; it is a real problem that gives little (if any) warning prior to failure. And when the IMS bearing does fail, the usual result is a totaled engine. There are no model years that appear exempt from the threat; it just seems to come out of nowhere.

The LN Engineering/Flatsix updates offer an alternative that seems to work, but at a price. Unfortunately, I am not aware of anyone with the upgrade that has gone 100K miles as of yet; but I am also not aware of anyone that has had the upgrade and subsequently had an IMS fail either………………..
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #31

All i can say is that i am not going to loose sleep or dwell on a possible engine failure . Drive your car like it is the last day of your life and don't worry. hezboloh harry might blow me up before the ****************ing car blows up.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
hezboloh harry might blow me up before the ****************ing car blows up.
Everyone is excited as you are about your new car, but do you think you could spare us the constant f-bombs? There are places to use them and places not to; I think most here would agree they'd prefer to see minimal use here. Used sparingly they have much more impact.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #33

IMS vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
Everyone is excited as you are about your new car, but do you think you could spare us the constant f-bombs? There are places to use them and places not to; I think most here would agree they'd prefer to see minimal use here. Used sparingly they have much more impact.
Ok Guys, I would like to take a vote, I have a 2000 boxster 35,000 miles, please vote if I should install this new IMS... I thank you ahead of time for your advice, I've learned alot here...
emerson34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #34

Emerson: If I were you I'd wait until you need a new clutch. Then look into the cost & availability. That is my plan. If I can get some piece of mind for $500 or less, I will probably do it.

I don't want to rush into it, as it seems as though Mr. Raby is finding other weak links in the engine (ie chain tensioner pads), and it might be cost effective to several at once while the transmission is out.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #35

I agree with the timing when replacing the clutch. If you have the whole thing pulled apart anyway, why not spend the extra dollars for the update? I wouldn't do it before then, unless you're paranoid.

Do change your oil at least every 5k miles...that will do a lot to help keep the engine healthy and minimize wear on all the weak components...and consider 5W or 10W40; not 0W40.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #36

No offense Emerson but are we all men up here , because i am! why do all the topics up here turn to IMS crap. This post is about A Roock RSB 340 not about IMS. When you get a leak or need a new clutch then put the bearing in, end of story. that's what i will do thanks to you guys.

remember gentleman it's all about the balance power = handling = braking and a big set of balls!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jacabean; 11-12-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #37

now this is what it's all about
Old 11-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #38

I take it you're not married...that would get me in trouble.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress
No offense meant Charles but if you even bothered to read the first post.... it has a 3.6 in it. That is not stock for a boxster. Now if youve had problems with Roock or you do not like them for whatever reason this this thread wasnt started by Jacabean for shortsighted opinions.

Speaking of shortsighted opinions "bone stock" meaning unmodified which it sounds like this engine is regardless of it's current location.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #40

I do believe the 3.6 is a stock engine