Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Your owners manual tells you to change the oil and run the engine for several minutes before storage.
The same owner manual recommends oil changes at 15,000 miles. I have chosen to be selective about the service & maintenance requirements. Some I'm more strict, others I choose to ignore.

But thank you.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsternut
Checked with the Porsche dealer and they said to do the oil change in the spring after hibernation. Interestingly, they said "NOT" to put fuel stabilizer in the tank over the winter...doesn't make sense though!
You need a new dealer, both their suggestions are dead wrong............
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #23

You need a new dealer, both their suggestions are dead wrong............

Will check with another dealer...thanks again!
boxsternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #24

Thanks to all who replied. I am changing the oil this weekend, adding stabilizer to a full tank, raising psi's to 50 and plugging in the trickle charger after cleaning the car and putting it's cover on for hibernation!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #25
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied. I am changing the oil this weekend, adding stabilizer to a full tank, raising psi's to 50 and plugging in the trickle charger after cleaning the car and putting it's cover on for hibernation!
Sounds about right, except you don't want to use a trickle charger, use a battery maintainer like the battery tender jr. And disconnect the battery from the car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #26

That sounds like a good plan. I usually also set up a couple of mouse traps around the car as added protection.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #27

Quote:
And disconnect the battery from the car.
Not necessary, particularly if you use a maintainer (like the OEM units) that plugs into the cigarette lighter……………
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Not necessary, particularly if you use a maintainer (like the OEM units) that plugs into the cigarette lighter……………
My battery tender gets hot enough to melt the plastic casing if I leave the battery connected. Current draw can be too high for some maintainers. If you can figure out how to reset the clock, there's no benefit to leaving the battery connected unless you use the cigarette lighter maintainer, which then you have to stay connected of course.

It's actually safest to completely remove the battery from the car in case the maintainer or battery have problems while charging.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-12-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #29

Quote:
My battery tender gets hot enough to melt the plastic casing if I leave the battery connected. Current draw can be too high for some maintainers. If you can figure out how to reset the clock, there's no benefit to leaving the battery connected unless you use the cigarette lighter maintainer, which then you have to stay connected of course.

It's actually safest to completely remove the battery from the car in case the maintainer or battery have problems while charging.
If that is the case, something is definitely wrong with the car or the maintainer. I have been storing Porsches for more than 30 years, both for myself and customers; none of the maintainers (OEM, CTEK, Deltran, etc.) ever gets more than very slightly warm to the touch when first connected, after which they are nearly room temperature. Sounds like you have an excessive current draw problem…………….
Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #30
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
If that is the case, something is definitely wrong with the car or the maintainer. I have been storing Porsches for more than 30 years, both for myself and customers; none of the maintainers (OEM, CTEK, Deltran, etc.) ever gets more than very slightly warm to the touch when first connected, after which they are nearly room temperature. Sounds like you have an excessive current draw problem…………….
No indication of any other problems. I can leave the car for a month+ and it starts right up.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #31

The trickle charger I bought from the Porsche dealer came highly recommended. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and only charges when necessary. They told me in the 987's, there's no need to remove the battery anymore. It cost $80 and has a long cord, which is great for the garage.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #32

Quote:
No indication of any other problems. I can leave the car for a month+ and it starts right up.
I just went into the storage area where there are currently 6 cars with maintainers on them. Room temp is 58.5F; non-contact pyrometer check of the maintainers averaged about 68F. Porsche early OEM unit (black box unit) was 68.5F, late model OEM (Ctek type) 68F, and Deltran unit (four car bank) was 69F. If yours is getting hot to the touch, it is because there is a drain in the car's electrical system it is trying to keep up with. Like I said, something is not right.....
Old 11-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #33

I don't know how you guys can do without your Porsche for months.

I'll be out of the country for 3 weeks. I'm leaving in a few days but already suffering withdrawals.

Just put the snow tires on yesterday too. :-(
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #34

It's a sad day when you put it away for the winter, but 2 years ago you needed 4 wheel drive to get to my house from mid-December through mid-March. Would have been impossible with the Boxster.
The day you take it out of storage in the spring is great. It's like getting a new car every year.
I definitely feel the withdrawl symptoms and for the next several months will have to live vicariously through this forum ;-)

Dave S.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #35

I think I'll be feeling the same way Dave...this will be the first time for me. Ekam, I'd be interested in hearing more how your winter driving goes this year with the snows. I'm up in Caledon and the snow gets a lot worse than in Toronto. Do you worry about the salt that it gets covered with? I'm changing the oil tomorrow, then will slowly get her ready for hibernation...it WILL be a sad day!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #36

Quote:
Check your Owner's Manual. Tires should be 58 PSI.....not 50 PSI. At least this is what mine says.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #37

Thanks for the headsup with the PSI's...I'm going to check my tires for their max. pressure rating....they're Michelin Pilots PS2's.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #38

I'm up in Erin, not far from Caledon.
I've stored my 01 Boxster for last 5 years each winter for 6 months.
I fill car to brim with Ultra 94, increase tire pressure to 60psi
I have a cover for the car.
Also park on a large sheet of plastic.

I remove the battery and place a large cloth so the hood cannot close.
I take the battery home, put on a wooden workbench and do not touch until couple days before I'm due to bring car out of storage end of April.
I, too, asked many people about changing oil before or after.
My trusted independent said as soon as it comes out of storage change oil for the driving season. I usually do about 6,000k per season.
Andy
oriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Thanks for the headsup with the PSI's...I'm going to check my tires for their max. pressure rating....they're Michelin Pilots PS2's.
I have 19" PS2's and overfill to 58-60 PSI prior to winter storage with Nitrogen.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #40

Thanks Andy for your input. Why do you store on a plastic sheet? I just changed my oil yesterday and will winterize this weekend. Will fill tires up to 58psi's. Do you move the car a few inches each month like others have suggested? Also, do you add fuel stabilizer before hibernation? Thanks.
Scott