Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #1

Hand over mode

I'm a first time P-car owner, 01 Boxster S tip. The car sat idle in a garage for a year before I purchased it and the battery had died. I believe that during that time something happened and it could now use the hand over operation done. The symptoms match what I have found in threads on the interior, trunk and frunk lights only operating while the key is in the ignition.

I live in Longmot CO and am wondering if there is anybody in the area that may have the tool and knowledge of how to do the handover? I'm willing to provide some incentive cash/beer what ever the pleasure?

Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
A Porsche Guy

You can try to call up an indy shop nearby that has a PIWIS or PSTII or contact your local Porsche (Ed Carroll based on search) to see the cost of getting your Boxster out of handover/handshake/delivery/ship mode. I do not believe a Durametric Pro will work in your case if it is indeed in that mode. If those are the only symptoms then there may be another reason.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 11-10-2020 at 08:24 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #3

No Durametric system can address handover, that needs a PST II or PIWIS system.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-10-2020 at 01:17 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to maybe build a P-car friendship with a diy guy. I will do many things myself, but I don't own a tool for this procedure.

Is there something else that may cause these symptoms? With no keying in the ignition the light will not come on. With a key in the ignition the interior dome, trunk and frunk light operate normally.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-14-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
A friend told me that our local dealer did this for free, it takes about 2 minutes.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:25 AM   #6

I will at some point give the dealer a call and see what they say. I don't have a working relationship with a dealer and after scouring previous threads it looks like many people have had to pay at least an hour labor for this. I would like to get it resolve, but if I have to pay dealer rates at some I will just leave it.

I was hoping that maybe I would find a local enthusiast to build a relationship with. I will give it a little more time and then call a dealer or three.