Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #101

Talking Rather have the box than a new bette

Just bought, today, a used 01 S and I grin ear to ear every time I hit the gas. I drove the first new '14 Corvette in Cincinnati a while ago because I had ordered one and mine was the first to arrive. Drove for the weekend and returned it (long story, nothing to do with the Corvette). Well, the vette is amazing. Way more power than any Boxster and it felt like I was powered by a Saturn V rocket.

Who cares? I'm not buying a second car, a fun toy, to race on the street. The S goes 162 mph, I don't need more. I could not justify the payments for a car that is well over $60,000 with options. And no other recent model year Vette holds interest. But a Boxster with low miles for $15,000 that looks and drive like new? What's not to love?

To me, a used Boxster is the perfect adult toy and I am so happy with my decision.

So, no, it doesn't have five hundred horsepower, or whatever, but it is plenty fast, handling is amazing with great road feel, and it really is a thrill to drive. Me happy.

JustEnjoyIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #102

I like the C-7 but there's seems like no way you can use all that power.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #103

Clear sky,27 degrees,wide open road and de-snorkeled intake at 6500 climbing a steep on ramp in 2nd to 3rd------------2000 S six speed fun!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #104

Garage
Hwy entrance ramp- 2nd to 6500, 3rd to 6500, shift into 4th - Woooo Nelly, your in triple digits already
I have no doubt the C-7 gets you there quicker but I don't think its way quicker. Certainly NOT $40,000+ worth quicker

Last edited by kk2002s; 01-29-2014 at 05:51 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #105

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
+1!

I'lll let family drive it, but only if I'm in the car with them.
Of course I have been with my kids when I let them get behind the wheel but my wife has been by herself in our Boxster on multiple occasions.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #106

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundriver View Post
Well, except when I am stuck in the trafic, it is always a pleasure (for 7 months for me) to drive the 986, especialy on little roads with a lot of turns and no other cars. The best is in the countryside and in the mountains.

But one of my pleasure, is to share my pleasure. So I am always happy to take friends for a trip, and even to give them the opportunity to drive. And I am perhaps still more happy to take children with me (for a safe drive naturally); they are so happy and proud.

I remember, before I bought mine, how nice it was to have the opportunity to travel or drive sport cars of friends.
I couldn't agree more! Share the fun. Kinda like that commercial, "Vroom, Vroom!"
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #107
Blazemandr

I just bought my '99 base last week and we couldn't be happier. Haven't had a Porsche since 1984 when I sold my 356 SC coupe. I'm now wondering if Boxster owners flash their headlights when they pass on the road as we did back in the day with 356s
Blazemandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazemandr View Post
I just bought my '99 base last week and we couldn't be happier. Haven't had a Porsche since 1984 when I sold my 356 SC coupe. I'm now wondering if Boxster owners flash their headlights when they pass on the road as we did back in the day with 356s
Unfortunately the flashing of the headlights seems to have gone the way of the air cooled cars. I still did it when I had my 964 and the air cooled guys generally responded in kind. The new gen car owners would generally not respond. A lot of new to Porsche and non-enthusiast bought these cars and did not have clue.

Enjoy the Boxster. They are a blast.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #109

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazemandr View Post
No one seems to flash anymore, but most will give a quick wave of the hand. Welcome to the forum and back to Porsche!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #110

Garage
A Porsche come true: I spent more than a few years dreaming about a Porsche. Then, of course, abandoning the dream to so-called common sense. After all, we must be cautious, and practical, and mindful of all the horrendous things that can go wrong. And the money, since my wife and I are now retired. And then, after another winter of our Lexus sitting in the garage, in favour of a front wheel drive for the snowy winter, I figured, we could just as easily have a Porsche safe in storage. So we traded the Lexus and some cash and drove home in a 2007 Boxster, grinning from ear-to-ear. (Both us and the car...) Yesterday we even had the top down for a quick spin in the cool spring. We are looking forward to a great summer in a dream come true. Foolish, mad, crazy -- I am all those things. Finally. At least I will go to hell in style....
doctorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorie View Post
A Porsche come true: I spent more than a few years dreaming about a Porsche. Then, of course, abandoning the dream to so-called common sense. After all, we must be cautious, and practical, and mindful of all the horrendous things that can go wrong. And the money, since my wife and I are now retired. And then, after another winter of our Lexus sitting in the garage, in favour of a front wheel drive for the snowy winter, I figured, we could just as easily have a Porsche safe in storage. So we traded the Lexus and some cash and drove home in a 2007 Boxster, grinning from ear-to-ear. (Both us and the car...) Yesterday we even had the top down for a quick spin in the cool spring. We are looking forward to a great summer in a dream come true. Foolish, mad, crazy -- I am all those things. Finally. At least I will go to hell in style....
Congrats and welcome to the forum, but one of the rules here is it didn't happen unless there are pictures!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #112

Garage
Worth a thousand words

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Congrats and welcome to the forum, but one of the rules here is it didn't happen unless there are pictures!

Here it is... lighter in color than it appears. Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to connecting to this community
Old 04-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #113
On the slippery slope

Garage
We got our 04 Boxster S about a month ago, our first Porsche. It was bought as a birthday present for my wife, only problem is that she is afraid to drive it so I'm stuck driving it. Poor me
On top it all, we traded in her Passat and kept mine and hers was nicer.

2 things come to mind on the thrill of driving the Boxster

First we took a trip a weekend trip from San Diego to Phoenix. About 800 miles round trip of pure top down pleasure. My wife even didn't complain once about my driving, even when passing at over 100 mph! It was simply a blast driving and so comfortable and fun. I did notice that when I was approaching another car from behind, they pulled over to the right to let me pass. On other trips without the Boxster, I don't remember that happening.

Second, my son is so proud when I drop him off at High School. The look on his friends faces is priceless when he gets out of the car.
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorie View Post

Here it is... lighter in color than it appears. Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to connecting to this community
The Cayman S wheels are my favorite wheels on the boxster.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #115

@Doctorie....

Congrats on the purchase. Although you're on a 986 forum and own a 987 you'll still find this the best Boxster forum on the internets.... I own a 2002 base, and its a daily driver. These cars are a work of art and super easy to work on. They are very reliable but do require annual maintenance which is costly. But again DYI is where its at. Sorry to be repeditive but I CANNOT WAIT TO DRIVE THIS CAR EVERY DAY!!! Im a few months from 6 yrs ownership and still feel the same. I dont even use the radio, i love listening to the engine... Also live in Indiana, just had one of the worst winters ever. Put on winter tires and drove this ******************** to work every day. No worries... BTW, awesome ride!!!
psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #116

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psquared39 View Post
@Doctorie....

Congrats on the purchase. Although you're on a 986 forum and own a 987 you'll still find this the best Boxster forum on the internets.... I own a 2002 base, and its a daily driver. These cars are a work of art and super easy to work on. They are very reliable but do require annual maintenance which is costly. But again DYI is where its at. Sorry to be repeditive but I CANNOT WAIT TO DRIVE THIS CAR EVERY DAY!!! Im a few months from 6 yrs ownership and still feel the same. I dont even use the radio, i love listening to the engine... Also live in Indiana, just had one of the worst winters ever. Put on winter tires and drove this ******************** to work every day. No worries... BTW, awesome ride!!!
Sorry about that. But enthusiasm seems to leap across the classifications, doesn't it? I'm encouraged you drove your 2002 in winter. For now, it is absolutely a joy to put the top down and just drive. The 2.7 is a blast in town and on the open road. Cheers, Brent
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #117

Garage
More reasons to smile. Still early days for our Boxster, but in addition to the buzz from actually driving the car (the engine/exhaust noise with the top down is truly awesome), consider: We pay less insurance for the Porsche than for my wife's Hyundai. And just did some calculating and realize after our latest fill-up we averaged 30 MPG in the Boxster, combined city and highway.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #118

Garage
I love tinkering and being able to see or feel the difference while driving. I've gone from paying for an oil change to DIY clutch jobs in about 1.5 years of ownership. It's not a very fast car, but it connects you to a very pleasurable driving experience. I can't wait to take it to some type of driving class and really learn how to drive it.

DIY work so far:
- Row Kit, Tie Rods, Drop Links, Elephant Racing Control Arm Bushings, Water Pump replacement, IMS guardian, 968 Sport Seats, and Axle Shaft rebuilds.
grimesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #119

Garage
I bought my 2000 Box just recently as a daily driver for the summer, and every morning now I'm anxious to get up at 5:30 am to go to work!!
But of course by 2:00 pm I'm dying to skip the office and jump back behind the wheel.
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #120
Olde Tyme Sport Cars

Smile Know what you mean!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box4two View Post
I bought my 2000 Box just recently as a daily driver for the summer, and every morning now I'm anxious to get up at 5:30 am to go to work!!
But of course by 2:00 pm I'm dying to skip the office and jump back behind the wheel.
Got my 2000 in May and fortunately I live in Florida and am retired so I get up and go whenever.

history19 is offline   Reply With Quote