Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #41
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
The easiest and cheapest insurance is to stop using Mobil 1 piss water in your engine and change the oil more often. I like Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic.

Don't feed the troll.....

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #42

2000 3.2 a good year?

Hmmm so for some reason a MY 2000 is less prone to ims bearing issues that 01-04?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 PM   #43

L+N IMS retrofit

Just wondering about when the retrofit is put in place from the outside of the engine how is oil flow ensured to get to it. As far as I currently understand, the stock bearing is sealed along with the im shaft so normally it will not get engine oil.

Last edited by jaykay; 10-28-2009 at 05:02 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #44

Garage
Oil test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
I have the evidence right here.
You see, I learned allot at the school of hard knocks.
One thing is I do not want to be responsible for someone causing damage to something because of my opinion.

I especially learned, do not make recommendations based on my opinion, as my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Where is your evidence proving Shell 5w-40 is a better oil than engineers tell an owner to use in a Porsche, used in all around driving?
This is from the LN Engineering site; IIRC, the article is from a magazine in the UK.

Anyway here is the thread link:
http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pdf

Both Mobil 1 and Shell helix don't come out too well in these tests. Penzoil did pretty well for an inexpensive oil; Castrol Syntex wasn't tested. Red Line was one of the top oils mixed with a few that didn't sound local to NA.

I'll let the experts discuss the merits of the test methodology.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #45

found this info at this link:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=741620

If there's one thing we try and do here at Street Commodores, it's give you, our readers un-biased info on which products are good, and which ones suck. There's so much ________ marketing guff out there, that it can be tough to nut out which products can walk the walk – so that's where we come in, doing our best to sort the Holdens from the Lada Nivas.

A few months back (issue 108), you might remember we did an oil comparison. At the time, we thought it was a bloody good thing, and we don't mind telling you we were pretty proud to publish an article that basically bagged a heap of big name brands. You see, at Street Commodores, we can't, and won't be bought. We like to play things straight. And in the name of playing things straight, we'd like to tell you what has happened since that story went to print.

Basically, we made a few oil companies very cross, and some others quite happy; but we've also been educated some more on engine oils, and being the type of publication that we are, we wanted to fill you in on it. The information we've learned since then suggests the test we performed may be irrelevant. Some sources have advised us that the test we used would have been better served testing some of our favourite greases rather than the engine oils we commonly use on our street cars. Sure, we did the test with the best intentions, with a level playing field for each oil and no preconceptions as to who would perform better than another, but when, and if, we mess up, we like to think that we're man enough to set the record straight.

So keep an eye out in an upcoming issue real soon for an in-depth look at what makes up the contents of your oil, what to look for when choosing one, why certain ingredients are so important and whether the test we used was irrelevant for testing oils.

CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote