Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #1

Boxster 986 windows acting funny

Well I recently purchased a Boxster and I couldn't be happier. However being that it is a 1997 she has some miles and needless to say a few small issues. When I bought it the Dealer told me the micro switch under where the top latches was going bad. I didn't think anything of it until a few days after I bought it when the windows started going down every time the key was turned to the "on" position. They don't go down the entire way, just the two inches or so as if the top was going down. When this happens they won't respond to the window controls, so I have to unlatch the top and toggle the switch under the hook only then will they go back up. Also if the top is up and I put the windows down, they won't respond to the window controls. I have to toggle that same switch again for them to come back online.

I went yesterday and bought a new micro switch to swap for the one I thought was defective. Turns out it didn't fix the problem and now I am clueless as to what the problem could be. Anyone got any ideas?

oneleggedman125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #2

Garage
whati would do is put the top down put up windows. then with ur finger push the switch. start the car and see if it does it. if it still messes up then you know the problem is somewhere from the switch on to whereever it is wired to. if you do it a couple of times and it has no problems it could be ur latch. just a thought. then at least you can rule that out
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks for the idea. I tried it a total of 20 times, 10 with the top up and 10 with the top down. In every test I did with my finger holding that switch down instead of the latch the problem wasn't there. Which tells me it is something wrong with my latch. That shouldn't be too bad to replace. Thanks for the quick response and the help fixing it.

Now the question is how to either rig the latch so it engages that micro switch properly, or where can I find a new latch that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. I called the local Porsche dealer here and they told me it is over $1,000USD. I feel like he either didn't get what I was asking him or it is crazy over priced. So any creative people out there that can help solve this one?

Last edited by oneleggedman125; 10-22-2009 at 08:53 AM.
oneleggedman125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #4

Garage
no prob lemme know how it works out.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #5

put a few layers of tape on the latch end ot the switch itself n see if it works. cheap fix.
al83s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by al83s
put a few layers of tape on the latch end ot the switch itself n see if it works. cheap fix.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Little dab'll do ya. PK
Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #7

Fog Lamp - Switch sides

I've moved from the UK to Europe and need to swap the fog lamp to the opposite side, I believe you can do this by switching fuses does anyone have the answer please.

breward is offline   Reply With Quote