Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #21

Three-month followup: I decided to replace my Pedro mount with the upgraded (987) mount. The extra vibration transmitted to the cabin wasn't bad, but the effect it had throughout the cabin wasn't tolerable for long-term use. Anything that could rattle did rattle (the lenses in the map light, parts of the convertible top when it was up, the center console, etc.).

This is of course not a criticism of Pedro's product - as he's stated repeatedly, the racing mount DOES transmit more vibration to the chassis. At the track, it does a great job of anchoring the motor to the chassis. On the highway at 3,250 RPM, it does an equally stellar job... but you may find as I did that you didn't want a solid mount as bad as you thought you did.

If I blow through the 987 mount too quickly, I'll probably try a Pedro enthusiast mount, but the racing mount was a little too hardcore for me. I should have heeded Pedro's advice on his site.

All that said, it's still a great product. Thanks, Pedro!

Last edited by sd_boxster; 01-10-2010 at 03:31 PM.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #22

Now that I am reading your post I've just realised why I am noticing so many more rattles in my car lately!

Yes, Pedro's racing mount is harsh around 3k rpm, and yes, everything does rattle.

I am now resigned to driving top down more often, so I don't notice the little noises so much, and just enjoy the extra tight chassis feel that I experience with the racing mount.

Pedro represented it as it is, he didn't recommend it at all for a street car, but I am quite happy trading comfort for performance.

Let us know how the 987 mount goes, I'm sure not everyone is as crazy as me and would prefer a little more comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Three-month followup: I decided to replace my Pedro mount with the upgraded (987) mount. The extra vibration transmitted to the cabin wasn't bad, but the effect it had throughout the cabin wasn't tolerable for long-term use. Anything that could rattle did rattle (the lenses in the map light, parts of the convertible top when it was up, the center console, etc.).

This is of course not a criticism of Pedro's product - as he's stated repeatedly, the racing mount DOES transmit more vibration to the chassis. At the track, it does a great job of anchoring the motor to the chassis. On the highway at 3,250 RPM, it does an equally stellar job... but you may find as I did that you didn't want a solid mount as bad as you thought you did.

If I blow through the 987 mount too quickly, I'll probably try a Pedro enthusiast mount, but the racing mount was a little too hardcore for me. I should have heeded Pedro's advice on his site.

All that said, it's still a great product. Thanks, Pedro!
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #23
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
My original mount lasted 8 yrs. and 60k miles, at which point I then started feeling grinding noises during hard cornering because the drivetrain started shifting due to the worn out mount.

I had it replaced with the 987 mount, and I like it because it got rid of an annoying driveline vibration I used to have when the car decelerated to around 3K rpms. We'll see how long it lasts, but I'd be perfectly happy replacing it again at 100k miles because I don't like vibrations trasmitting through the chassis, personally.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote