Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #21

There is a Pep Boys about 30 mins North of me... I will have to check them out. Last time I went to Costco they didn't have the jack, but they do have one with free shipping on their website:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11186866&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

There is another Costco around here, I could check there also.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #22

what is the exact location of the central rear jacking location that everyone here uses?

just curious as to what jackstand adapters/pads everyone is using aswell.

I would like to get a good floor jack, jack stands, and jack pads specifically for the Boxster
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
what is the exact location of the central rear jacking location that everyone here uses?

just curious as to what jackstand adapters/pads everyone is using aswell.

I would like to get a good floor jack, jack stands, and jack pads specifically for the Boxster
The jack shown just above your post is ideal and priced right. Other posts in this thread will confirm.
If you can work with 2x6s and 4x4s (good mitre saw would help), search other threads on this subject or write me for info on creating 2 or 4 wood jackstands that do the job easily as well as the alum ones at a very low price and you won't need pads.
Bob
Old 11-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #24

Thanks I would be interested in your set up.....you dont appear to be able to receive emails though
Old 11-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Thanks I would be interested in your set up.....you dont appear to be able to receive emails though
Check out Floor Jack and Stands and my post for pics of the jackstands that I built. Cheap and rustproof! Assembled with long gyp board screws. 10" total height on these.

I checked my mail and it is not ful lor anything. Please try again to send me a PM to see if it works now.

Bob
Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #26

The Sears low-profile jack is cheap and fits under the rear jacking plates or the rear "Bentley" spot on my BSX 986 which is about an inch lower than stock.
The problem with this jack is that it won't go high enough to get the rear jacking points over jack stands! I use 2 hockey pucks on the jack plate and then can raise the car enough for jack stands. It's crude but effective. This is a portable jack. It is 3.33 inch in height at the pad.

I just bought a really nice low profile jack from Griots for about 400 bucks. It is SUPER low profile and jacks to 20". It also weighs about 100 pounds so it is not portable unless you're a moose at the gym. It rolls incredible smoothly in any direction owing to a huge iron ball built in to it.

Sears jack $49 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950165000P?keyword=low+profile+jac k

Griot Jack (not portable) $400 http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/in+your+garage/jacks+%26+stands/2-ton+floor+jack.do?search=basic&keyword=jack&sortby=newArrivals&page=1
Coochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 AM   #27

Try this floor jack by Omega. It's not light or cheap but I believe it will work for the Boxster.

http://www.eautotools.com/Omega-OME29023-p/ome29023.htm
Poorshoesless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #28

Go to Northern Too on-line and see Torin race jacks at 1.5 Ton at $129 and 2.5 ton at $169. They are light, well made, easily portable, small for storage, and either will lift any Boxster or 911 with ease. If you happen to have a big suv as well, get the 2.5 ton.
Buy cheap and you'll be disapointed for quality or servicability, buy expensive and you'll be throwing away money that you can buy Porsche goodies with.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #29

can anybody describe or post a picture of the proper rear central jacking point?

i take it that there is nothing that can be done at the front due to the overhang

not sure i like the idea of placing one jackstand at a time at the front corners by jacking at the back or close to the front jack point
Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #30
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Has anyone tried this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=67045

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #31

2 Jacks are better than one

I have 2 1.5 ton cheap jacks from K-Mart. Since I do not use them professionally they work great for me. For the rear I jack at the cross member right at the engine and trans area. From the back of the engine, it is right at the end of the skid plate. For the front, I jack both sides at once and I place them either under the jacking points after I remove a jack or the suspension where there is a bolt coming down. If you notice, this is a connection point for the suspension to the frame...good and sturdy. I do not believe the weight on the front is enough for any kind of damage since this is a connection point and is already under a lot of stress from daily driving.

jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote