Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #1

Floor jack question

I've done a bunch of searches, but I can't find anyone mentioning this:

What floor jacks can reach the Bentley rear jacking point between the axles without driving the car on ramps first? Regardless of saddle height, it seems like the entire jack would need to be under 5"?

Tnx.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 AM   #2

I have a standard "buy it at a general store" 4 ton floor jack (bought with matching jack stands). When I jack up the rear end, I used the bottom of the rear back suspension area.

I would guess that my jack is about 5" tall at best.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #3

I have an Aluminum floor jack a la harbor freight, it will not reach the Bently rear jack point, the car is too low. Rather than use the less strong bracket by the muffler, I simply jack up one rear wheel with an additional jack, then the floor jack can slide under far enough to reach the correct spot.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #4

Put a short 2x4 in front of each rear tire and drive the car up onto the 2x4. Then your jack will probably slip right under it.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #5

Put a short 2x4 in front of each rear tire and drive the car up onto the 2x4

That's what I do...I can't even get my jack under the normal jacking points due to it's ride height (H&R sport springs).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #6

I need a new jack, if I'm going to go through the effort/expense, I'd like to get one that does not require the 2x4 method if possible.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
I need a new jack, if I'm going to go through the effort/expense, I'd like to get one that does not require the 2x4 method if possible.

The model I have has as flat a tongue as I've seen and it's still not low enough. It's an issue of going in from the rear to access the jack point and the distance to said jack point. By the time you approach it you're on the incline of the jack. Otherwise, the jack is more than capable of getting under the Boxster at all other points.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105
Old 07-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Put a short 2x4 in front of each rear tire and drive the car up onto the 2x4

That's what I do...I can't even get my jack under the normal jacking points due to it's ride height (H&R sport springs).
Race jacks (Torin for instance) only need 3.5" clearance. I'm pretty sure that would work for you.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Race jacks (Torin for instance) only need 3.5" clearance. I'm pretty sure that would work for you.

It's not 3.5 " anywhere but the toe, hence the post I authored on how far the jack must travel under the vehicle to reach the rear jack point. I doubt there are any floor jack manufactured that will reach that plate from the rear of a Boxster..
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
It's not 3.5 " anywhere but the toe, hence the post I authored on how far the jack must travel under the vehicle to reach the rear jack point. I doubt there are any floor jack manufactured that will reach that plate from the rear of a Boxster..
I doubt it as well. There are some pretty good suggestions here to get around the problem.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #11

Costco currently is carrying a low profile steel floorjack. It is incredibly heavy but has a very low saddle height and maintains the low clearance for nearly 18". I have not tried to reach the rear jack point. But it is one of the best low profile jacks i have used to date.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #12

Whatever method is chosen to "pre raise" the car, it's critical to reverse the steps with equal precision or risk the jack being crushed under the car mangling something expensive.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
pk2

Heres a little trick (among a couple I used to get the car up. If you get one back wheel of the ground and let the wheel/suspension swing down, the drop it down easy, you'll have bought yourself am 1nch or 2.

I also use 2 floor jacks. a full size 3or 4 ton job and a $29 kragen mini floor jack. Use the cheapy to lift it enough from wherever you can, then put the big one where ever you want.

Regards, PK
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944boy
Costco currently is carrying a low profile steel floorjack. It is incredibly heavy but has a very low saddle height and maintains the low clearance for nearly 18". I have not tried to reach the rear jack point. But it is one of the best low profile jacks i have used to date.
I've got one of these. It's a fabulous jack, and it was cheap too. I think it cost $100. My old jack was a low-profile Craftsman. It was crap. It lasted 3 years. Can't buy parts for it, and Sears won't repair it.

This Costco jack is really heavy, but really nice.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #15

I bought that same Harbor Freight race jack at PepBoys and it was only $59 or even less.

And best of all, it slides right under the car at the back to that central jacking point.

YMMV.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-26-2009 at 07:28 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I bought that same Harbor Freight race jack at PepBoys and it was only $59 or even less.

And best of all, it slides right under the car at the back to that central jacking point.

YMMV.

If it's the same race jack I posted a link pic of I have to call BS.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #17

It may have been on a closeout sale. Next time I'm in PepBoys I'll see what brand it was and post the name of it and the current price for you. I didn't have $150 to spend that day, that's for sure. The wife and I have a low level limit on impulse spending and I know I would not have gone over that amount without a conversation with her (and it was an impulse purchase as I recall.)

At any rate, it would be smart to visit PepBoys and check out their aluminum race jack to compare prices, quality, and availability.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-27-2009 at 07:04 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
The model I have has as flat a tongue as I've seen and it's still not low enough. It's an issue of going in from the rear to access the jack point and the distance to said jack point. By the time you approach it you're on the incline of the jack. Otherwise, the jack is more than capable of getting under the Boxster at all other points.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105
My jack looks exactly like that but, it's BluePoint and it sure didn't cost $159. I think it was right around $400 with matching aluminum jack stands I've never used. Looks can be deceiving though I had a harbor freight jack before this one and it broke with the car in the air. Luckily I had not taken the wheel off yet and it fell on all 4.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=76808&group_ID=19931&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

BTW, I swear by Snap On tools
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #19

YellowB, I don't care if Snap on made the jack, you always have to use stands, I know two mechanics who were injured thinking otherwise.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #20

I hope you make out better than I did with a Pep Boys jack. I bought the small aluminum version to use on my Formula Ford, and after being used several times it started leaking hydraulic fluid. I'll have to check out the corner-carvers.com forum again, they had a long thread on the subject of jacks, and the lack of quiality units available under $400.

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote