Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #1

Garage
03 Boxster S guages

I have an 03 Boxster S with black faces on the guages, I have ordered some white ones, does anybody know if this is a difficult task to do the change out, your help is always appreciated.

fredpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #2

That's strange. I thought all 03 S's had white gauges. The only 986 S model that had black faced gauges was the 2004 550 special edition I thought. ?? I couldn't tell you specifics on gauge face replacement, but I know there is some info in the archives about it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #3

Garage
Mine broke

Mine on the 03 broke, it is white, I found a good used 04 to replace it with, but it has black face plates on it.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #4

anyone know how hard it is to replace?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #5

It's a plug & play proposition. There are two screws that have to be removed to get the entire gauge pod to come out. One behind the microphone cover on the left side and one behind the emergency flasher switch on the right side. The entire gauge pod lifts up and there are three wire harness connectors on the back of the cluster. Each has a locking lever that you raise up and they come off. A few screws (they will be obvious) hold the cluster to the pod. Installation of the replacement cluster is the reverse of what you just did to get the old one out.

Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start taking out the original cluster.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the details Thumper!! Sounds pretty easy. Will i keep my old milage or the one the new cluster came with?
Oh and do the microphone and emergency flasher siwtch pop off easily without breaking?
Thanks!

Last edited by BoxsterLewis; 06-22-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #7

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12805

This will walk you through the ins and outs of replacing your cluster and how to get to the screws. In this thread he is replacing his boxster cluster with one from a carrera (I did this mod and love it), but will work for what you are trying to accomplish. You just have to read through it to find the procedure for removing and replacing your cluster, as it goes into the different steps necessary for the carrera cluster swap.

The mileage is stored in the cluster, so you will either need to send the replacement cluster off to have it reprogrammed with your mileage or just go with the mileage that is on the new cluster. If the cluster is brand new or under 600 miles (I think), then the dealer can set the mileage to match your old cluster.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #8

Garage
I can do this, I want to replace the faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
It's a plug & play proposition. There are two screws that have to be removed to get the entire gauge pod to come out. One behind the microphone cover on the left side and one behind the emergency flasher switch on the right side. The entire gauge pod lifts up and there are three wire harness connectors on the back of the cluster. Each has a locking lever that you raise up and they come off. A few screws (they will be obvious) hold the cluster to the pod. Installation of the replacement cluster is the reverse of what you just did to get the old one out.

Be sure to disconnect the battery before you start taking out the original cluster.
I can do this, I want to replace the black faces with the white faces off my old Speedo, also how do you disconnect the emergency flasher, it sure would be easier to work on if I could remove the wiring plugged into he emergency flasher, Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #9

Once you've pulled the switch button off of the emergency flasher, taken out the screw behind it and behind the microphone cover, then you have to lift the cluster up and get to the emergency flasher connector from behind the cluster/pod. There is a tab on the connector that you push in while pulling back on it. It's been awhile since I've done this, but I'm pretty sure that's correct. I believe that this is addressed in the link I provided earlier.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #10

Garage
The Link is Good But............

The Link is Good But............ It doesn't address the issue of replacing the faces on the guages, ie: changing from black to white..
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredpayne
The Link is Good But............ It doesn't address the issue of replacing the faces on the guages, ie: changing from black to white..
Try this link

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/cluster.htm
Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #12

Garage
Thanks tons

Thanks a lot that is perfect, exactly what I needed to know, in the link you sent, it had one thing I wasn't sure about:

"Remove the negative terminal of your battery before you start, and have your radio code handy."

I know to remove the battery cable, but why the radio code, plus I have no clue where that is or what to do with it, I can do the rest, but this has me puzzled.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #13

You need the radio code in order to re-activate your radio once the battery has been reconnected. The code is a security code meant to discourage thieves from stealing your stereo, as it won't work without the code. It's a 4 digit number that should be included in your set of manuals on a separate card, or in my case the card was missing, but the previous owner had written it down on the inside cover of the maintenance manual.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #14

Garage
Hmmm, Radio worked after a disconnect

Hmmm, I find that extremely interesting, I have disconnected my battery several times and the radio worked fine when I re-connected, I see you are in McKinney, I am in Carrollton, when I get this project finished, hopefully by the weeks end I am taking it to RUF to have a little OBC programming done. So I should be totally finished by next week early, I broke the cam off of the green connector in the back of the cluster, I have a new one with a 6"pigtail of wires hanging out, I just need to match them all up, solder them and use a little heat shrink around each one. When I get all finished maybe we can meet up and have a cold beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
You need the radio code in order to re-activate your radio once the battery has been reconnected. The code is a security code meant to discourage thieves from stealing your stereo, as it won't work without the code. It's a 4 digit number that should be included in your set of manuals on a separate card, or in my case the card was missing, but the previous owner had written it down on the inside cover of the maintenance manual.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #15

I just noticed that you have an '03 (not sure why I missed that earlier) which means that you have the CAN BUS system which would mean that you don't need a radio code. My '01 is the older system where a radio code is required after a disconnect of the battery power.

I broke one of the locking cams off of my cluster harness too. I have the kit to repair it, but just haven't gotten around to tearing it back apart. The connector still seats just fine without it and doesn't vibrate loose. There is a tool that you can use to remove the pins from the broken connector and put them into the replacement connector which would keep you from having to splice/solder anything.

I need to get my Boxster down to RUF for some service work myself. Just been too busy at work these days. A frosty cold adult beverage sounds good.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #16

Garage
Might be an option

Where did you get the kit or the tool or both, I might just do that one, sounds easier and quicker. We will defimitely do the brew, are you a Maverick member?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #17

Garage
03 Boxster S vs. 04 Boxster Cluster

Does anybody know if a 2004 Boxster instrument cluster will work in a 2003 Boxster S, HELP !!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #18

I am selling my 2001 S cluster for pretty cheap if anyone is interested. Just e-mail me at riveralc@saic.com

Thumper what tool do you use to pop out the emergency flasher and micrphone plug? Screwdriver work?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredpayne
Does anybody know if a 2004 Boxster instrument cluster will work in a 2003 Boxster S, HELP !!!!
A 2004 Boxster cluster will work just fine in a 2003 Boxster whether it is an "S" model or a base model.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
I am selling my 2001 S cluster for pretty cheap if anyone is interested. Just e-mail me at riveralc@saic.com

Thumper what tool do you use to pop out the emergency flasher and micrphone plug? Screwdriver work?

A small flat blade screwdriver will work just fine. I would put a piece of tape on the tip to avoid scratching anything. Just slip the end of the screwdriver up under the edge and pry straight backward.