Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredpayne
Where did you get the kit or the tool or both, I might just do that one, sounds easier and quicker. We will defimitely do the brew, are you a Maverick member?
The kit is part number PNA 721.04.300.202

It includes replacement connectors with lock down clamps for all three connectors.

I'm looking for the info on the tool you use to release the individual pins in the connectors so you can transplant them to the new connector. Can't seem to find it just yet but will post when I do.

Yep, I'm a Maverick member.

Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #22

Garage
Thanks's Thumper

I'm glad I waited to hear from you, RUF and Boardwalk both told me it would not work, they said they were 2 different part numbers, which they are, but they look the same, I took the day off today to try and solve this problem. After I talked to RUF and Boardwalk, I called Fifth Gear in Lewisville, I know them pretty well too, they had no idea, but I was told if the Part numbers didn't match it wouldn't work.
I was told the cluster was basically a computer and had to match, Boardwalk said once the cluster had been programmed, it usually would not take another program.

I have one cluster where everything works except the Speedo, and anothe cluster where everything works except the tach, I currently hvae 2 sources looking for an S cluster, I will call them off and try to get one of these repaired, Zepco didn't know much about Porsches, so I guess it's off to California for repair, too bad I can't take the speedo off the one working and put it on the other one.

Where you at the last Sunday Drive? It was the bridges of Denton County or something like that, I was in the one and only Orient Red Porsche there.

Last edited by fredpayne; 06-24-2009 at 02:21 PM.
fredpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #23

I am really surprised the RUF said it wouldn't work due to them being different part numbers. I have put 5 different clusters from 986's and 996's in mine from years '01 thru '03 and all but one worked great. (one cluster was just fried). All had different part numbers.

I have also talked with a couple of guys that have swapped various gauges from one cluster to another and had them work fine as well. It would be worth a try to swap the gauges in order to make one good cluster out of the two.

I have a perfect 986 cluster (black faces) sitting in my garage if you can't find one. The mileage is in the 60k range. But it is from an '01 and I'm not sure if you can go with something from a non CAN BUS system or not.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #24

Thumper i forgot to mention i have a 2004 3.6L motor in my box, its already running ok so the swap with another 2001 S cluster should be ok right? Thanks for the awesome advice?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Thumper i forgot to mention i have a 2004 3.6L motor in my box, its already running ok so the swap with another 2001 S cluster should be ok right? Thanks for the awesome advice?
Since your Boxster is an '01 model, it should work just fine.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredpayne
Where you at the last Sunday Drive? It was the bridges of Denton County or something like that, I was in the one and only Orient Red Porsche there.
No, I have yet to make one of the Sunday drives. I've always wanted to, but everytime I hear of one, I already have other plans.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #27

Garage
OK, Great minds think alike

I have started taking the speedo off the one that works to put into the one that everything works but the speedo, I know Porsche loves to make a buck, When Bob at RUF, looked up the part numbers, he said no they won't interchange, I borrowed his computer for a sec and showed him a few P/N's with very little difference, he said I don't know according to the book it shouldn't work, but looks possible. Boardwalk was very sure it would not work.

P/N on my 03 Boxster S is 986 641 214 02

P/N on the 04 Boxster is 986 641 204 06
Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #28

I'd be willing to bet that it will work like a charm.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #29

Thanks! im selling mine for 80 shipped if anyone is interested.
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #30

Garage
Well, It didn't work

The cluster comes in 2 printed circuit boards, the one on the back is the main board, it holds mileage, etc. the smaller and flimsier one on the front holds the tach, speedo and temp and fuel guages, it is one solid printed circuit board, so not much you can do here, I did, however switch the front PCB from the 04 to the 03, nothing changed, I then switched the 03 to the 04, still nothing changed. I did the same thing with the rear main boards with the same results.

The tach, which isn't working on the 03, but is working on the 04 does have a small motor or something attached to it, it is soldered on in 4 places, I heated up the tach motor from the 04 which was working and soldered it to the 03 PCB, unfortunately nothing has changed. I don't know if the 01 cluster you have will work or not, it may have too many guages. If you think you or one of your friends could fix this one or your 01 will work, I would be happy to pay for the install, cause I gotta pay RUF to send it to California anyway. I am beginning to think maybe the problem is the 04 part, mine may use 01 through 03, not sure, I know mine has the green, blue, and gray connectors on the back, as does the 04, I have an older one that has gray, black and white, it will not work, Let me know if anybody wants to try to fix this, I would love to help, I might learn something. Thanks

Last edited by fredpayne; 06-24-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #31

I'll dig my cluster out of the garage. I know it works just fine. I'm just not sure that it will work in an '03 model, but it would be easy to find out.

I've been moving some stuff around, so it may take me a day or two to find it. I'll get in touch with you when I do.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #32

Garage
I have one on it's way

I purchased an 03 from another 986forum member, his handle is spine911, hopefully this will solve everything, You have been a huge help and I appreciate it very much, my only concern now is that I don't get the PROTECT message on my radio like I did on the one I got from Oklahoma.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #33

Garage
It didn't work either

From best I can tell after all the research and everything I have read and tried, I need a 2001 to 2004 Boxster S Tiptronic cluster, this is supposedly all that will work. Thanks