Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #21

Here's a picture of the exchanger to help you understand my post:

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #22

I would be the first to say not to put a front mounted oil cooler using our spin on oil filter adapter. Although the engine is "dry sump", I treat it like a wet sump engine and I don't think the pump is up to the task of pushing the oil to the front of the car and back again. Putting on the S oil cooler is a very smart idea on a non-S car. Laminar flow oil coolers (heat exchangers) like this are very efficient, so I honestly believe that it is plenty.

The only adapter I use with the spin-on oil filter adapter is an accusump single-port input adapter to put an accusump on the engine for the track, coupled with a shorter Napa Gold 1081 stubby oil filter to maintain ground clearance.

My wife's W8 passat uses the same laminar flow oil to water cooler as the S, which is the same as the one used on the side of the tiptronic transmission. It's widely shared among many models.

I've noticed that in traffic that some of the added heat is for sure from the tiptronic slipping the torque converter (versus putting it in N while stopped), so automatic cars for sure would benefit from a low temp thermostat even more since there is more heat being pumped in and getting full coolant flow earlier is a great thing.
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #23

Garage
Jhandy,

Read my post (#6), now please do the tests and post the results. You will find your problem. Fix it before it fixes you. might want to read this post also, Will need some on this one... .

Regarding this statement from JFP in PA about installing a 160 degree thermostat;

"9. Does it increase performance? The correct answer would be “Damned if I know.” We have heard of slight gas mileage increases after doing this, but currently have not data to confirm or deny that. Should it increase oil and engine life expectancy? My response would be “Definitely.” Cooling the engine, and in particular the oil, is “a good thing”…………"

If that were true don't you think the mechanical engineers at Porsche would know this and install a 160 thermostat at the factory? They don't because for the engine to be "efficient" it needs to run at the OEM spec temp. I think Porsche has a little more knowledge in this field (almost 80 years) than most.

You have a 7 year old car with 62k on the clock, your problem is ether dirty radiators or your pump is going tits up.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #24

bumper coming off tonight when I get home, I will post results,
Thanks to everyone for your help.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #25

From what observed coolant temperatures have been reported on Turbo, GT2, and GT3 engines, they have a 160F thermostat, or something very close. There's no reason to make a low temp thermostat for those engines, as they already run cooler.

Just because a Porsche engineer designed or specified something, doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. Take your pick of any of the typical M96 problems and fill in the blank.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Jhandy,
If that were true don't you think the mechanical engineers at Porsche would know this and install a 160 thermostat at the factory? They don't because for the engine to be "efficient" it needs to run at the OEM spec temp. I think Porsche has a little more knowledge in this field (almost 80 years) than most.
Are you referring to the "Almost 80 years" of experience that also gave us slipped cylinders in the 2.5L M96, rear main seal failures across the entire M96 line and IMS bearing issues leading to catastrophic engine failures?
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #27

And prior to that; broken/pulled cylinder head bolts, magnesium case warpage, premature valve guide wear, exploding dual mass flywheels, faulty chain tensioners, faulty dual plug distributors, failing secondary air injection systems...should I go on?

Thank goodness the aftermarket stepped to provide fixes for many of the "factory" blunders.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #28
Engine Surgeon

Today Porsche Engineers are trumped by Porsche Accountants.
Those who feel the Porsche Engineers do no wrong are learning on a near daily basis that they are incorrect in their assumptions.. This isn't the same company or same people who created the Porsche marque.

Why they didn't do it from the factory is the same question that can pertain to why they did the things that lead to the 15 different modes of failure that we have discovered related to the M96 engine, some of which occur at as little as 18,000 miles leaving the Owner of the Porsche with a pile of rubble thats called a "Catastrophic engine failure".

The low temp TSTAT works and I have data that proves this, its been my job to test the product in my lab and in the field for LN Engineering. EVERY engine I build gets one as standard equipment.

Porsche created it, the aftermarket is perfecting it and most of us aren't Engineers, just innovators with common sense.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #29

Garage
What I was referring to was the engine efficacy at temperature and the expansion of all the different metals. There's also the tuning that goes with that through the ECU.

Comparing that with deficient material and design flaws is apples to oranges comparison. Of course you can fool the ECU into thinking the engine is still cold and then have it compensate by dumping extra gas to try to get it up to temp.

Is this considered a poor mans remapping?

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #30

There is no 'fooling' the ecu. The difference in temperature is still within target of what is considered an engine that is completely up to temperature. There is a threshold for warm up enrichment that if the engine is not to temp it will throw a code. Also if short or long term fuel trims are outside their allowed range of correction, that too will throw a Porsche specific code.

I don't have Porsche specific figures (I'm sure there is some person somewhere who knows this), but it would appear that cold start enrichment on a modern engine usually stops by 160F. The engines continue to operate at their target AFR, be that stoichiometric or not. OBD2 code P0128 is thrown if coolant does not reach 167F after a prescribed warm-up period. Even in sub-zero ambient air temps, with the low temperature thermostat, coolant stabilizes at 172F.