Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #1

How to reset iginition immobilizer

I have a 2001 Boxster.....While working on the car the key was left in the ignition for more than two minutes. The manual say it will then go and set the immobilizer. Which it did!!

I tried to move the key back to the "O" position the manual suggest, but with no luck. The ignition is still set and the immobilizer is armed. Has anyone had the problem or can suggest how to reset the ignition and immobilizer.

Thanks,
Dennis

lemieud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If the immobilizer did activate, you will have to take it to the dealer to get it deactivated
Old 03-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Got my boxster back from the shop yesterday. I was fiddling with it last night and left the key in the ignition for a bit. It won't start this morning and I think it may be the immobilizer.

How do you know if the immobilzer is on? Are there any indications from the OBC? How can you take it to the dealer if it won't start? The car turns, everything lights up but it won't ignite.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #4

I think you just turn the key to the left, as if you were turning off the car, at least for my 987.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

Heh ?!?
I often left the key in the car while washing her (99 boxster), etc..
the only thing i saw is after a while, if you turn it right, it won't start the car, you need to turn it left and get the key out before putting it back in to start the car.. but I never heard or saw something about comply locking there.. ?!?

that's scarry!!
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #6

I just looked in the manual and it says that you just need to turn it back to "O" and then it will turn start. The immobilizer is in your key and it activates every time your key is withdrawn. Every time you put the key in it checks the code and starts the car. Then there is the two minute thing, but that leads you back to the "O" position and then turn it on. It sounds like there is something else wrong. Scott.
SStiebers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
The issue was resolved by closing the soft top, closing the windows all the way, locking and setting the alarm car with the remote and unlocking it. When I had the dealer on the phone they suggested all this but said it wasn't necessary to have the top up and secured. But that's the only way I got it to work.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #8
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Won't Start - think it's the immobilizer

I was on my way home from work, my wife called to say that my alarm (horn/lights) on the Boxster was going off. I don't know what triggered it. When I got home, the alarm was going off so I put the key in and tried to start it but it wouldn't turn over so I took the positive battery cable off to stop the alarm and then put it back on...but now the car won't start. I'm almost certain that it triggered the immobilizer but I don't know how to reset it to get the car to start again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
New Porsche Fan

Garage
OH!! Also please note that the lock/unlock button on my key fob do not work so I can only lock the car manually (not sure if that's a part of the reset process). Thanks again for any advice!
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imari View Post
OH!! Also please note that the lock/unlock button on my key fob do not work so I can only lock the car manually (not sure if that's a part of the reset process). Thanks again for any advice!
Have you tried charging your battery? Might be run down from the alarm going off.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Any chance the immobilizer got wet? Its under the driver's seat.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #12

Is it the same as when the alarm was going off? ie won't turn over at all?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:16 PM   #13

1998 Boxster Immobilizer issues

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I purchased a 1998 Boxster thats been sitting for a few years. I couldn't bear seeing it just sit there, so I bought it. The issue is that the previous owner bought it as a project and never had keys. Someone removed the immobilizer and left it in the trunk. I've heard I can buy all new immobilizer and keys and computer from another car and put it in. Would I still need to go to a dealer and pay $$$$ to reprogram it. This is really frustrating. Hope someone can direct me to someone that can help.
Thank you for any help.

Michael
mykelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelamy View Post
...and never had keys. Someone removed the immobilizer and left it in the trunk. I've heard I can buy all new immobilizer and keys and computer from another car and put it in. Would I still need to go to a dealer and pay $$$$ to reprogram it.
Hi Michael, welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new Boxster.

Unfortunately, one way or another, its going to cost several hundred dollars.

The immobilizer, ECU (also known as DME), and the transmitter (looks like a little pill or capsule) in each key all need to programmed with the same security code (as a set). If the code for all three doesn't match, then the car won't start. Period. There is no way around this (well, maybe there is but then you're probably an experienced car thief and wouldn't need our help anyway).

There are a few independent shops who can program the immobilizer, ECU, and keys to work as a set, otherwise you'll have to go to a dealer. The most common computer tool available to owners (Durametric) does not have this capability.

Or as you mention, you can buy a used matched set (immobilizer, ECU, and keys) that is already programmed from a used parts dealer or eBay. Since the set is already programmed from the previous car, install the new immobilizer and the ECU, then swap the key shank from the old key into the fob of the new key so it will turn the mechanical steering lock, and you should be in business.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me. I purchased a 1998 Boxster thats been sitting for a few years. I couldn't bear seeing it just sit there, so I bought it. The issue is that the previous owner bought it as a project and never had keys. Someone removed the immobilizer and left it in the trunk. I've heard I can buy all new immobilizer and keys and computer from another car and put it in. Would I still need to go to a dealer and pay $$$$ to reprogram it. This is really frustrating. Hope someone can direct me to someone that can help.
Thank you for any help.

Michael
This is what you need, except for a '97, '98 or '99 2.5 engine. Keep an eye on this seller. They always have new stuff coming in.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/00-Boxster-S-RWD-Porsche-986-IMMOBILISER-SET-ENGINE-COMPUTER-KEY-IGNITION-58-113/281907621611?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.M BE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20180306143914%26meid%3Dac42b9 a11e9a4c3b96187a4fe340e90b%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D3 %26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D162909348919%26itm%3D2819076216 11&_trksid=p2056116.c100935.m2460
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #16

If you want to go the remove route, these guys might be able to help. Immobilizer Removal for Porsche Boxster ECU DME 0261204605, 0 261 204 605 - Specialized ECU Repair

But, it would prob be best to do as suggested and rekit the works.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #17

Hello All, thank you for your guidance. If I purchase the immobilizer, computer, keys and locks, and put all three in my 1998 Boxster, shouldnt that work without having to have them programmed at the deal since all three are coded the same?
Old 05-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #18

If I get these parts from a wreck.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Hello All, thank you for your guidance. If I purchase the immobilizer, computer, keys and locks, and put all three in my 1998 Boxster, shouldnt that work without having to have them programmed at the deal since all three are coded the same?
Yes, it will function in your car if the parts the same version as your car had. The computer will still have data from the donor car, such as VIN, engine hours, and peak rpm data, unless you have it reprogrammed.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Yes, it will function in your car if the parts the same version as your car had. The computer will still have data from the donor car, such as VIN and engine hour and peak rpm data, unless you have it reprogrammed.

The VIN doesn’t seem to change when swapping out Key/immobiliser/DME. It stays consistent according to my Durametric. I guess that the VIN must be stored in the cluster.