View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #14
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykelamy View Post
...and never had keys. Someone removed the immobilizer and left it in the trunk. I've heard I can buy all new immobilizer and keys and computer from another car and put it in. Would I still need to go to a dealer and pay $$$$ to reprogram it.
Hi Michael, welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new Boxster.

Unfortunately, one way or another, its going to cost several hundred dollars.

The immobilizer, ECU (also known as DME), and the transmitter (looks like a little pill or capsule) in each key all need to programmed with the same security code (as a set). If the code for all three doesn't match, then the car won't start. Period. There is no way around this (well, maybe there is but then you're probably an experienced car thief and wouldn't need our help anyway).

There are a few independent shops who can program the immobilizer, ECU, and keys to work as a set, otherwise you'll have to go to a dealer. The most common computer tool available to owners (Durametric) does not have this capability.

Or as you mention, you can buy a used matched set (immobilizer, ECU, and keys) that is already programmed from a used parts dealer or eBay. Since the set is already programmed from the previous car, install the new immobilizer and the ECU, then swap the key shank from the old key into the fob of the new key so it will turn the mechanical steering lock, and you should be in business.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote