Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Unhappy Doors wont lock, windows dont work-help

I tried Renntech without any fixes, maybe somebody here can help.

I just installed a Pioneer P6000 dvd player in my car and after doing so can no longer lock my doors or use my power windows.

When pressing the "lock" button on my dash bezel nothing happens. Also when using my keyfob (new battery) it does not lock the doors.

The power windows buttons on the center console doesn't move my windows, but when I open the door (both passenger and driver side) the windows move down a 1/4 inch to clear the softtop, and go up after closing. So the windows *do* work.

Also when opening or closing the soft top, the windows do NOT go down/up. I am forced to open both doors to get the top up.

The interior lights at the footwell no longer work either.

I put tape over the sensor for the head unit, that didn't help.

I have tried re-disconnecting the battery. No help. I pulled my driver seat and checked the fuze in the alarm module. It's not blown.

I really dont know what else to do. I really need to be able to lock my car (and it would be nice to be able to lower and raise my windows.

Thank you for any help

PS: does anybody have a diagnostic tool who lives in Mass/NH/ME/CT?? I will drive to you, this is a HUGE problem!!

elsenorfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #2

Unhappy I have more questions than answers

What year is your car?

When you installed this DVD player I assume you removed the OEM head unit, correct?

Did you use a harness of some sort to connect into the car's stereo, or just connect the speaker wires from the DVD to the existing speaker wires?

If your car is pre-2003 I got nothing!

However, if your car is 2003 or newer with the MOST (fiber optic) system, my understanding is that the stereo is connected into the alarm system. So, removing the OEM stereo *might* be the reason your locks, etc. are screwed up.

Fair warning: I just want to be helpful. . . I am not an electrical engineer, a stereo installer, or in any way competent to give anybody advice on any topic.

Best of luck! Maybe this will prompt someone who actually knows something to jump in and educate us!

TRawls
TRawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRawls
What year is your car?

When you installed this DVD player I assume you removed the OEM head unit, correct?

Did you use a harness of some sort to connect into the car's stereo, or just connect the speaker wires from the DVD to the existing speaker wires?

If your car is pre-2003 I got nothing!

However, if your car is 2003 or newer with the MOST (fiber optic) system, my understanding is that the stereo is connected into the alarm system. So, removing the OEM stereo *might* be the reason your locks, etc. are screwed up.

Fair warning: I just want to be helpful. . . I am not an electrical engineer, a stereo installer, or in any way competent to give anybody advice on any topic.

Best of luck! Maybe this will prompt someone who actually knows something to jump in and educate us!

TRawls

MY02 bose system (non-MOST). I did remove the stock head unit of course. I had to cut into the vehicle harness for the speaker connections to the RCA preouts, but used the vehicle harness without trouble for battery/acc/etc.

Could cutting into the harness have done something? (and to combat this early, there's no moisture behind my seat or on the floor)

thank you for the quick reply!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #4

Fixed!

All set, thank you for the help everyone!

Fuse C3 was blown in case anybody has something similar in the future, be smarter than me and check your fuses FIRST
Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #5

Smile Good for You!

Glad you figured it out

TRawls
TRawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

986-people,

I had exactly the same issue: cut only into the 12V wire of the cigarette lighter and I could swear I did no short circuiting, only to power an external small GPS...closed everyting and neither windows nor doors worked, also the rear window heating was dead...the lighter still had power....weird....

Initially thought I must have accidentally destroyes some other cable, did not find it

Searched the forum and: voila: fuse as you described !

Thanks a lot !

Andy :dance:

carx24 is offline   Reply With Quote