Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Trade-in values - 2003 S

My friend is going to trade in his 2003 S with 60K - anyone got a feel for what the dealer will offer? Take KBB and subtract 1,500? And of course this is in MI - so only 6 months until convertible season again

(You can PM me - if you don't want the prices public or don't want to embarrass your local dealer.)

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #2

Garage
Google "Black Book", that's what the dealers go by. KBB, NADA are for banks and private sells...talk to a dealer that takes in trades and they will tell you they go by Black Book.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

that's going to be a tough one based on location and since '03s can not be CPO'd by dealers any longer. As such, it's not real desirable from their business perspective and essentially is just any old used car. Unless it's immaculately clean and w/ good records, it will be wholesaled out to a private jobber or auction. That being said, tell your friend to be well prepared to feel insulted (unless he wants to pay full boat on what he's buying).

If trading at a branded dealer, I think your friend can assume he'll get offered ~ 60-65% of what 'they' are asking for on used 2003 w/ comp miles. Based on a quick PCNA search, there aren't any '03 S models for sale. '03 base models are basically showing an asking price of $20k. My quick # is add $1500 for S, less $500 for miles and multiply it by 60-65% to get roughly $13k.

Curious to hear what he actually gets offered...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #4

trade should be more like 15 to 16 depending on how clean . a 03 S with 60k is still 20 grand on any dealer lot.
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #5

Tell him not to keep his hopes up. Cars being listed for sale at 20k doesn't mean they will be sold for that much (or sold at all). Many local dealers are scared of buying luxury/sports cars right now so the dealer is likely to low-ball you on appraisal. Tell your friend to have it appraised at a couple places and then - try to sell it privately for 1-2k more.
My guess is 13k as well
Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #6

I would be Int. in buying his car,I live in MI. PM me with info. on his car & his bottom line on price.

Thanks.

jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote