Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #1

CEL Help

Hi Everyone,

Well, so far I have been lucky enough to be the one giving out advice for small projects that I have done. Posting little pictures under show & tell, etc. This morning I went to my indy mechanic in Canada to get an oil leak taken care of. There was a small bit of oil drippings every few days just in front of the driver's side rear tire. He said it was a small tear in the oil lines and was able to replace them. I drive the 20 miles home, all good.

So tonight, after returning to my apartment on the US side of the border, with the gorgeous weather I wanted to go out for a drive. I put the top down and got approx. 1/2 mi. from home when the CEL (or change engine light as I have heard) came on. This is a first for my car in 2 years. So I have a dilemma, do I:

A) Drive it the 20 miles across the border and take it back to my indy to get it fixed. (He is a good mechanic, worked for Porsche for many, many years).

OR

B) Not risk driving it, have it towed to the local dealer in the US and have them figure it out.

I should note: I have no idea what it is, and have no diagnostic software. There was no puff of smoke, the engine was not running rough before the light came on, and even with it still on still sounds normal. I read in the owner's manual it could be from a gas cap not tightened enough (and I did get gas today), so I unscrewed it and tightened it again and tucked her away in the garage for the evening while I think about what I should do. Can I get some input from you guys? Has this (a CEL with no rough running or odd symptoms/sounds) happend to you? Is it safe to drive it without doing serious damage?

Thanks in advance. I know you guys will give me some good input if you can before I make a decision.

Last edited by 9eighty6; 03-27-2009 at 02:45 PM.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Get your error codes and narrow the search first. A Porsche DME is very sensitive. There are about 200 possible reasons a CEL came on... anything a from loose gas cap or dip stick to total engine failure. If it is serious your CEL will flash which means stop driving now. A steady light indicates a minor issue. You can go to Autozone and get your CEL codes read for free or buy a pocket code reader for about $40 to keep in your car.

Get your error codes and report back here. Someone has surely experienced the same issue and can tell you if it a simple DIY or indy repair tech time.

Last edited by Topless; 03-27-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Get your error codes and narrow the search first. A Porsche DME is very sensitive. There are about 200 possible reasons a CEL came on... anything a from loose gas cap or dip stick to total engine failure. If it is serious your CEL will flash which means stop driving now. A steady light indicates a minor issue. You can go to Autozone and get your CEL codes read for free or buy a pocket code reader for about $40 to keep in your car.

Get your error codes and report back here. Someone has surely experienced the same issue and can tell you if it a simple DIY or indy repair tech time.

Topless,

I am looking into code readers now, can you recommend a certain brand or store to buy one from that will help with a Boxster? I don't have access to a lap top, so I am looking for a standalone product that will read and reset codes.

Thanks,
Old 03-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder803
I am looking into code readers now, can you recommend a certain brand or store to buy one from that will help with a Boxster?
Actron has several models which all read Boxster codes and give you a description of the code, not just the number.
You can purchase Actron readers at Sears and many Auto Parts stores.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 03-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #5

If the CEL is solid then you can drive it. If it's blinking then I wouldn't drive it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #6

Update: after speaking with my indy late last night (I called at 7PM to leave a message at the shop and he picked up, haha ... he is pretty dedicated). He said to come in this morning, and he figured (over the phone) it was an O2 sensor. So I drove it in and he diagnosed it, just as he had suspected. I will be bringing the car on friday to have it put in and will leave it in the garage until then. Thanks guys, for the input.

9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote