Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #1

This clutch is turning into a real problem

So I got a new clutch (you probably remember, I've been talking about it so much). I've driven on it say no more than 1000 or 1500 miles. And already it feels stiff and the position of the biting point has moved up so much. Luckily I have a 1 year warranty on it, so I'm going to go back right now and see if I can get things resolved.

This feels so unusual to me, I can't believe I can burn a clutch that much in 1000 miles. I really doubt its my fault, but I mean what do I tell the mechanic if he tells me that?

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
The feel of the clutch will change after it settles in. That doesn't mean that the clutch is already going out on you. IIRCC when I had my clutch changed at 30k miles the new one would "bite" very low for the first few weeks. After that it did move up a little bit and just stayed there. Have the mechanic drive it and tell you what he thinks.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
The feel of the clutch will change after it settles in. That doesn't mean that the clutch is already going out on you. IIRCC when I had my clutch changed at 30k miles the new one would "bite" very low for the first few weeks. After that it did move up a little bit and just stayed there. Have the mechanic drive it and tell you what he thinks.
Thats exactly what I had him do, and he said that the stiffness was due to the bushels on the clutch pedal starting to lose lubrication or wear out.

I can do that no problem, however we asked him to show us proof of purchase of the clutch he gave us, and for some reason he flipped over the thought and started calling us a rat trying to get a free clutch kit..
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 AM   #4

IMHO - you might want to get a second opinion from a different Porsche only shop, like Jackson, Stuttgart or Redline depending where you live. If you are in Tucson go to Dave Radmacher. If you would like me to look at it send an E-mail.

Take care,
Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Thats exactly what I had him do, and he said that the stiffness was due to the bushels on the clutch pedal starting to lose lubrication or wear out.

I can do that no problem, however we asked him to show us proof of purchase of the clutch he gave us, and for some reason he flipped over the thought and started calling us a rat trying to get a free clutch kit..
I hope he didn't just bleed your master/slave cylinder (which would make the clutch feel new) and give you the car back. Tell him you want documents, if he did it right and wants respect he should provide you the docs.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
I hope he didn't just bleed your master/slave cylinder (which would make the clutch feel new) and give you the car back. Tell him you want documents, if he did it right and wants respect he should provide you the docs.
I asked him for proof of purchase docs and he got raged and said something about us being thieves wanting a free clutch.

I'm leaving it as is now, there was loads of slip before on my last clutch and this new one has none of that. I'm just scared he gave me a used junkyard clutch that's about to go.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
I asked him for proof of purchase docs and he got raged and said something about us being thieves wanting a free clutch.

I'm leaving it as is now, there was loads of slip before on my last clutch and this new one has none of that. I'm just scared he gave me a used junkyard clutch that's about to go.
Two comments:
First, to see if he was giving you valid information about the possible cause of the stiffness, spray some graphite liquid and/or powder at the bushings on the clutch pedal and see if that makes the difference he claims it might make.

Second, rather than confront him face to face, write him a short, to the point letter asking him to provide you with a copy of the invoice with which he purchased your new clutch (informing him that he can redact the price that he paid for the part), as well as a receipt for the work that he did on your car.

At the very least, even if he does not respond, in the event you have a problem with the clutch you will have some documentation showing that he did not provide you with what he is legally required to.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote