Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #1

1st oil change question

Getting ready to do my first oil change on Saturday. What is the type/size wrench for the drain plug?
Can I get a crush ring from other than a Porsche dealer?

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #2

Hi, the key for the drain plug is an 8 mm Allen bit and for the washer ( Crush Ring ) I never replaced it and never had a oil leak, and I'm on my sixth oil change.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #3

You'll want to torque the 8mm plug to 37 ft-lbs.

As far as the washer is concerned, I'd always replace it to be safe. It's good insurance for $1.00. If that isn't convenient, maybe take the old one to a parts store and see if they have a similar washer... I picked up a 5-pack for $2.00 for one of my other cars.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

also, before you do the oil change, look at the condition of the drain plug. it looks like you picked up your box w/higher mileage like me. when I went to change the oil, I had a new drain plug ready; i'm glad I did b/c the old plug's hex was pretty stripped, probably since PO used quick oil change places.
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #5

What about crush ring? Drain container?

Are the crush rings available at someplace other than a Porsche dealer? Where? How do I specify it if the only one is the one on the car?

What are you using to drain the oil in? I will have to jack the car up to remove the drain plug then level it to the ground with a clearance of 4".
Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
Are the crush rings available at someplace other than a Porsche dealer? Where? How do I specify it if the only one is the one on the car?

What are you using to drain the oil in? I will have to jack the car up to remove the drain plug then level it to the ground with a clearance of 4".

Hi, Google Oil Drain Container and for the washer put back the same one after you measured it and then take all the time in the world to buy another.

When you jack the car DO NOT GO UNDERNEATH WITHOUT JACK STANDS
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Be sure you have a BIG pan - there will be lots of oil coming out and at high speed. There was a thread earlier this summer talking about catch pans. It said the big pan you find in stores that can be sealed up tight to take to an oil recycler doesn't work well. The intake hole in the center of the pan (that can be sealed shut when done) is too small for the velocity of the oil, resulting in an oil spill where ever you're changing the oil. I use a big open pan and then transfer the old oil to other containers for recycling.

Jacking the car up - I built some ramps from a 2x10 and stacked them 4 high. I back onto them in my driveway and use the slope of the driveway to keep the car level. NEVER drive up ramps as it will catch the rubber gravel shield thingy in front of the rear wheel. Plus there probably won't be enough clearance to begin with to slide them under the body of your Box.

Also, be sure to note where the rubber gasket is on the oil filter cap. You'll need to replace it with the one provided with your new filter. And be sure to lube the new gasket with some oil before replacing the cap.

Have fun.

PS. I'll be in your neck of the woods the following week participating in the SAS Championships Pro-Am. I'm one of the Ams but after my birthday this yr am now old enough to be one of the Pros.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #8

Quote:

Here's a little how-to I made on oil changing:
http://columbiaporsche.freeforums.org/986-oil-change-t16.html

I used Rhino Ramps to lift the car. Very easy and stable.

You can get a drain plug online at somewhere like pelicanparts.com, or try a local AutoZone or other auto parts store for a similar washer. Do you have two cars or another way to get to the store? If so, drain your oil and take the old washer with you.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #9

Don't worry have stands

My plan is to put back of car on Jack stands to drain most of the o and replace filter. Then place a low boy container for the rest and lower the car. When drained then I'll lift it again on one side and put on stand, then replace plug with new crush ring.
Does this seem OK for saftey?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

Sometimes the crush ring comes with a new filter. Have you bought your filter yet?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The crush rings are on sale for 24 cents:

www.************************************************************/
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #12

ChefCarnivore,

I just did my first 986 oil change. WOW, does the oil come flying out! Knowing what I do now, I would say a large (5 gal. minimum) bucket is a must. Good luck with your first oil change.

Mark
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #13

I use ramps for the rear of the car and level the car with jack and jack stands at the front. IIRC you can buy a crush washer at Pelican for about .50 each.

Hints:
Big pan
Ramps for the rear
Level the car from the front
Don't go cheap on tools, good wrenches etc.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #14

Ran into a snag on oil change

I had to buy a floor jack to raise the car high enough for the jack stands. Needed one anyhow. I'll try again Monday after school. I did get a new drain plug and a proper 8mm hex for a 3/8 drive. The pan I was going to use holds 3 gallons. Is that enough? AutoZone seems to have more knowledgeable people than Advanced Auto. They even pointed out that they are happy to do a scan at greater dephth than my Acton unit. Also they are around the corner from me ~ 3 miles.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #15

The Boxster holds 10 quarts of oil, so that's 2.5 gallons...

I bought my crush washers from Sunset Porsche. I bought half a dozen or so just to have some on hand. You can reuse yours for now. Just the next time you put in an order on-line for something from Pelican, Autohauz, Suncoast, Sunset, etc. have them throw in the washers. They're cheap and you'll save not having to pay shipping just for the washers.

I'd check out that plug too and be careful when removing it. Mine was totally frozen in the pan and stripped by the PO. I had to drop the whole pan and drill the drain plug out! This is precisely the reason why I do my own work on my car!!!

Kirk

1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote