Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #1

HELP Rain water leaks into cabin from side window seal

Hi everyone hope you can help me otherwise my car is going to stay a spa!

Porsche service recently replaced the LHS rear foam driptray and red knob arm under the soft top (as well as realigning the top after wards).
Since then the top has started leaking a large amount from both sides of the car when being washed and in the rain (with the water pooling in the foot wells).

Sitting in the car during recent rains I watched water pour/leak through the channel joins in the attached photo (sorry my camera is hopeless so I stitched a few photos together of others and have yellow arrows pointing to the joints).

Porsche realigned the top again but that did NOTHING to stop the leak.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Or can anyone help/advice what to do to fix it?

Please help!
Sam

Last edited by samlad; 11-25-2008 at 06:27 PM.
samlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 AM   #2

Is the top as tight as before?

This is something that the dealer ought to be able to prove to you they have aligned the top correctly before the car leaves the shop. Just a hose with the car parked outdoors should be test enough.

Is it possible that a secondary effect of the problems you had that caused the earlier repairs caused the frame of the top to be bent?

Are the side windows making firm contact with the weather stripping all around the side windows?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:04 AM   #3

Hey, my passenger side window leaks where it does not make a good seal on its back side. I only see this in a heavy rain, and not when driving just when sitting in a good downpour. I dont have any ideas what to do about it, the window looks like it is comming up all the way and the seal seems fine along the top of the window, it is the rear part of the window that has a small gap, or at least a poor seal.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM   #4

Until you get it sorted, be sure that the alarm module under the driver's seat does not get wet...BIG bucks to fix it!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #5

mikefocke, the side windows have a great seal all the way around with not even a drop (it's just from the hood rubber seal gaps that water is coming in).

I took it back the third time for the roof realignment, making it tight as hell (requires 2 hands to latch the top on now) BUT, still getting leaks from those spots.

The dealer did a hose test and it looked good while there but typically once you get away and on it sitting in the rain at home, beads of water start to appear and leak (as though the channels at the top are overwhelmed by constant watering).

Any suggestions as to why this is continuing under constant rain?

---

Lil bastard, the whole mess started exactly with that issue, when I had the foam tray replaced as it was ripped and there was water under the seat. Happy to say, no longer the problem but as an additional outcome my top seals now leak.

For this fear I've also been inspired to get this car WATERTIGHT so I've taken out all the carpet and with a microscope making sure there is nothing else wet going on! All looks good, EXCEPT the top seals!

Others advised that the "top cables tension" could be an issue? If so what and where is that?

---

edevlin I feel for you as I am experiencing that as well. Removing the carpet I noticed that there is a very small amount of water (that pools in time) bypassing the foam drip tray. But for you if you say it is a window seal issue have a look at this http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22526

Let me know if that helps or how you overcome it as I may do with a similar fix?

samlad is offline   Reply With Quote