Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #1

Stereo CDR220 - Knob question

My stock CDR220 stereo has a defect on the right knob. when a CD is playing, and I try to use the right knob to change tracks, it constantly makes errors.

i may rotate it to go forward a track, back a track, etc - and it randomly will not register the change, it will go forward two, or go backward one..it seems random.

basically, I might try to advance forward one track, and sometimes it works, sometimes it will go forward TWO tracks (like it thinks I rotated the knob more than I did) or it will go the entirely wrong way and go back one track when I rotated it to go forward. i have to fiddle with it a few times and eventually i get to the track I want, but it's a big fat PITA.

I was thinking of replacing the whole deck - to ge ta newer more powerful and better strereo. fix the knob and get a better systme all at teh same time. but i saw this and wondered if it would fix my problem.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=99664590100&Category_Code=POTEBXIN

suncoast porsche sells "knobs" for the stereos. the cost is $16. I'm not sure, though, does this JUST change the exterior rubber knob for when it's worn - or does it change out anything "inside" or underneath that might be contributing to my problem??

or shoudl I just ditch the whole deck and get a new one? if I did that, buy a new one, I only want to sp3nd $100-200. I like to listen to the exhaust just as much as the stereo...and my car stereo, honestly, is not that bad for my needs - i' have rear speakers, and they are very weak...i can barely hear them...I suspect there isn't enough power to them..and a new deck might fix that....but i don't want to spend money to upgade my stereo for something that is only marginally better.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #2

Pull the knob off and clean both of the gears, put it back on and it should work fine. They get gummed up with dirt and stuff and need to be cleaned every now and again. I just had to do it the other day.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #3

I have the same problem! Glad to hear all it needs is a simple cleaning.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
and if worse comes to worst Suncoast has them for $16
Knob
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #5

i pulled the knob off and everything looked very clean. I don't really see how I could clean out the gears "inside" - they looked to be buried under some cover tyhpe thing..

when i pulled off the knob I saw the silver "nub" that it affixes too - it had little gear teeth...they were spotless. there is a clear plastic cover thing that I could see though and see some kind of mechanism behind - but i couldn't see any way to get that off. i poked around with a small screwdriver and this clear thing did NOT appear to come off.

by making fine adjustments/clicks/turns of the "nub" while the knob itself was removed, I could make one small "click/turn" and hear the head unit register the click with some kind of noise inside..but it woudl make errors in terms of which way it went - it would go bakcward when I clicked forwards, vice versa.

i wonder if it is some sort of problem "deeper" inside the knob mechanism thatn I can go? unless I can pull off more than just the knob - I think it's something more than gunk under the knob...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:43 AM   #6

Same problem here - and I just wrote it off as as idiosyncracy of the radio. Sometimes I can verrrry slowly and deliberately move the knowone click and get it to go to the next track, but it typically seems to skip a few or not move at all. Now I usually just turn it off and enjoy the exhaust note.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #7

Try puling the faceplate and cleaning the contacts on the plate and HU and then put it back paying attention to properly align it with the contacts, bet this fixes it.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #8

does the faceplate actually come off? is it supposed to or would I be opening/taking something apart that isn't really supposed to come off??
Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
does the faceplate actually come off? is it supposed to or would I be opening/taking something apart that isn't really supposed to come off??

The Faceplate is made to be removed. This is for security and Porsche provided a nifty logo'd storage case for it - looks like a sunglass case - pn# 996.645.190.00, but most of these have gotten lost through the years and few 2nd owners have it when they get their car, though you can still order replacements.

Below is a bmap of the page in the becker manual for removing the faceplate.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-18-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #10

so THAT'S what that little case was in my packet of "stuff" I got from my dad, who got it from the original owner... the original owner was a Porsche guy who repalced the boxster w/another porsche. he even had the original window sticker!

i have that case. i honestly thought it was a sunglasses holder.

i'll have to take it off and see what happens!