Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Treat Your Top

Hi Everyone,
It rained this weekend and snowed in the mountains. So with the ski season just around the corner, I decided that I better start preparing for winter. So I finally waterproofed my top. I have been putting this off since the beginning of summer, but is was actually really easy.

It took about 40 minutes to wash and clean the top with 303. I had to do it twice to get some of the dirt out. Overall it cleaned up well, except for some small black spots on the B pillars that are from the top being almost 10 years old.
I then used some Renovo Ultra Proofer. This stuff worked like a charm, and I was very pleased with it. I only put on one coat, but I could probably get 2-3 more coats out of the liter bottle. It took a half hour to put on, and it is still drying (it needs 2-3 hours).

Overall, I am very pleased with the 303 and Renovo. I've never used Raggtop, but the Renovo appears to be much easier to use. You don't have to tape off the car and it goes on thicker. If you haven't cleaned or treated your top yet, I would recommend you do so. It took me about two hours with an hour of dry time and breaks ( ), and then a few hours for the waterproofer. Now my top is protected from rain and UV.

I am going to be putting on my hardtop on later tonight.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Hi Everyone,
It rained this weekend and snowed in the mountains. So with the ski season just around the corner, I decided that I better start preparing for winter. So I finally waterproofed my top. I have been putting this off since the beginning of summer, but is was actually really easy.

It took about 40 minutes to wash and clean the top with 303. I had to do it twice to get some of the dirt out. Overall it cleaned up well, except for some small black spots on the B pillars that are from the top being almost 10 years old.
I then used some Renovo Ultra Proofer. This stuff worked like a charm, and I was very pleased with it. I only put on one coat, but I could probably get 2-3 more coats out of the liter bottle. It took a half hour to put on, and it is still drying (it needs 2-3 hours).

Overall, I am very pleased with the 303 and Renovo. I've never used Raggtop, but the Renovo appears to be much easier to use. You don't have to tape off the car and it goes on thicker. If you haven't cleaned or treated your top yet, I would recommend you do so. It took me about two hours with an hour of dry time and breaks ( ), and then a few hours for the waterproofer. Now my top is protected from rain and UV.

I am going to be putting on my hardtop on later tonight.
I am looking at all the top treatments now. Why did you choose the 303 cleaner and renova treatment. In reading reviews on Amazon, alot of people do not like the new raggtopp, but all the reviews for the 303 kit were good. Just wondering why you didn't just get the 303 kit, I'm sure you had good reason. Of course, I may go back to Amazon and find the 303 protectorant is "Renova", and look like an idiot, but hey, been there done that already!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #3

I got the 303 kit because it's made by a company in the Redding, CA area (Palo Cedro, CA), which is close to where I live. So I can get it at the local Franklin Auto Parts. I think you pretty much have to mail order the Raggtop. If you're on the west coast, you might want to check to see if the 303 is available locally.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #4

How does the Porsche Techquipment waterproof spray compare to the other options out there?

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Not sure about the Porsche stuff but it seems a little pricey.

I picked Renovo and 303 because they both had great reviews. Plus, Renovo is the only paint on waterproofer I am aware off.
Raggtop seems good, and lot of people use, but I prefer the paint on waterproofer. From what I read 303 seems like the best cleaner. The Renovo stuff is expensive, but I didn't have to tape off the car, and it went on much thicker than a spray.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Not sure about the Porsche stuff but it seems a little pricey.

I picked Renovo and 303 because they both had great reviews. Plus, Renovo is the only paint on waterproofer I am aware off.
Raggtop seems good, and lot of people use, but I prefer the paint on waterproofer. From what I read 303 seems like the best cleaner. The Renovo stuff is expensive, but I didn't have to tape off the car, and it went on much thicker than a spray.
Thanks for the info.
The paint-on aspect is what I'd like... the Porsche stuff (I already have a huge spray can) doesn't mention protecting the rest of the car. I'm careful when I apply, but overspray does occur. I've wondered if this has any negative consequences, but I'm guessing it's fine.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This has nothing to do with cleaning the top but is related.

I installed rear speakers at the beginning of the summer, and was using the soft top all summer. The rear speakers made the stereo better, but it wasn't an incredible improvement.
Since I put my hardtop on last night; today on the freeway at 75mph I said, Wow! The rear speakers sound a lot better. I am assuming that the hardtop making the car quieter had a lot to do with his major improvement in sound quality.

So if you want your rear speakers to sound better, get a hardtop, but treat your softtop first!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
I am assuming that the hardtop making the car quieter had a lot to do with his major improvement in sound quality.
Rick,

Absolutely - I notice the huge improvement also when I put on my hardtop. I recently drove my car for the first time this summer with the convertible top raised and was reminded how much better the stereo with rear speakers (and 6-channel amp) sounds.

My hardtop is going on at the end of the month (at the earliest) and yes I need to clean my convertible top also.

Thanks for posting your cleaning/treatment process.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #9

Thanks guys, that was the info I was looking for. I never liked the idea of masking off the car and spraying the top. What a pain.
Did you use a bristle brush or foam brush? The brief instructions at Amazon said either. I've never had any luck with foam brushes for wood finishing.
A 1 litre can is just under $18 at Amazon. Better prices elsewhere?
I'm also not sure I can buy just the 303 cleaner at Amazon.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The best price I found was Amazon, it's expensive but I figure one liter it will do at least 3 coats maybe 4 depending on how thick you put it on. I just used a throw away brush from home depot.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #11

Cool, thanks alot Rick.
I'm in the room hanging out to miss the debate and the liars. Can't stand either one of them and can't believe that out of 300 million people these two idiots are the best we have.