Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,142
Garage
Treat Your Top

Hi Everyone,
It rained this weekend and snowed in the mountains. So with the ski season just around the corner, I decided that I better start preparing for winter. So I finally waterproofed my top. I have been putting this off since the beginning of summer, but is was actually really easy.

It took about 40 minutes to wash and clean the top with 303. I had to do it twice to get some of the dirt out. Overall it cleaned up well, except for some small black spots on the B pillars that are from the top being almost 10 years old.
I then used some Renovo Ultra Proofer. This stuff worked like a charm, and I was very pleased with it. I only put on one coat, but I could probably get 2-3 more coats out of the liter bottle. It took a half hour to put on, and it is still drying (it needs 2-3 hours).

Overall, I am very pleased with the 303 and Renovo. I've never used Raggtop, but the Renovo appears to be much easier to use. You don't have to tape off the car and it goes on thicker. If you haven't cleaned or treated your top yet, I would recommend you do so. It took me about two hours with an hour of dry time and breaks ( ), and then a few hours for the waterproofer. Now my top is protected from rain and UV.

I am going to be putting on my hardtop on later tonight.

__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Quickurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Coastal Oak Forest
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Hi Everyone,
It rained this weekend and snowed in the mountains. So with the ski season just around the corner, I decided that I better start preparing for winter. So I finally waterproofed my top. I have been putting this off since the beginning of summer, but is was actually really easy.

It took about 40 minutes to wash and clean the top with 303. I had to do it twice to get some of the dirt out. Overall it cleaned up well, except for some small black spots on the B pillars that are from the top being almost 10 years old.
I then used some Renovo Ultra Proofer. This stuff worked like a charm, and I was very pleased with it. I only put on one coat, but I could probably get 2-3 more coats out of the liter bottle. It took a half hour to put on, and it is still drying (it needs 2-3 hours).

Overall, I am very pleased with the 303 and Renovo. I've never used Raggtop, but the Renovo appears to be much easier to use. You don't have to tape off the car and it goes on thicker. If you haven't cleaned or treated your top yet, I would recommend you do so. It took me about two hours with an hour of dry time and breaks ( ), and then a few hours for the waterproofer. Now my top is protected from rain and UV.

I am going to be putting on my hardtop on later tonight.
I am looking at all the top treatments now. Why did you choose the 303 cleaner and renova treatment. In reading reviews on Amazon, alot of people do not like the new raggtopp, but all the reviews for the 303 kit were good. Just wondering why you didn't just get the 303 kit, I'm sure you had good reason. Of course, I may go back to Amazon and find the 303 protectorant is "Renova", and look like an idiot, but hey, been there done that already!
__________________
Sold - Black on Sand Beige 2006 S - 48K miles
18x8.5 and 10 OZ Alleggerita HLT Anthracite wheels and anthracite Cayman side grilles - lovingly adjusted Schnell Short Shift
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Posts: 959
I got the 303 kit because it's made by a company in the Redding, CA area (Palo Cedro, CA), which is close to where I live. So I can get it at the local Franklin Auto Parts. I think you pretty much have to mail order the Raggtop. If you're on the west coast, you might want to check to see if the 303 is available locally.

Kirk
__________________
2000 Boxster S - Gemballa body kit, GT3 front bumper, JRZ coilovers, lower stress bars
2003 911 Carrera 4S - TechArt body kit, TechArt coilovers, HRE wheels
1986 911 Carrera Targa - 3.2L, Euro pistons, 964 cams, steel slant nose widebody
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 226
How does the Porsche Techquipment waterproof spray compare to the other options out there?

__________________
http://ericfilcoff.com/pictures/986forum.jpg
2001 Boxster | 2007 Outback Sport
Need a freelance graphic designer?
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,142
Garage
Not sure about the Porsche stuff but it seems a little pricey.

I picked Renovo and 303 because they both had great reviews. Plus, Renovo is the only paint on waterproofer I am aware off.
Raggtop seems good, and lot of people use, but I prefer the paint on waterproofer. From what I read 303 seems like the best cleaner. The Renovo stuff is expensive, but I didn't have to tape off the car, and it went on much thicker than a spray.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Not sure about the Porsche stuff but it seems a little pricey.

I picked Renovo and 303 because they both had great reviews. Plus, Renovo is the only paint on waterproofer I am aware off.
Raggtop seems good, and lot of people use, but I prefer the paint on waterproofer. From what I read 303 seems like the best cleaner. The Renovo stuff is expensive, but I didn't have to tape off the car, and it went on much thicker than a spray.
Thanks for the info.
The paint-on aspect is what I'd like... the Porsche stuff (I already have a huge spray can) doesn't mention protecting the rest of the car. I'm careful when I apply, but overspray does occur. I've wondered if this has any negative consequences, but I'm guessing it's fine.
__________________
http://ericfilcoff.com/pictures/986forum.jpg
2001 Boxster | 2007 Outback Sport
Need a freelance graphic designer?
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,142
Garage
This has nothing to do with cleaning the top but is related.

I installed rear speakers at the beginning of the summer, and was using the soft top all summer. The rear speakers made the stereo better, but it wasn't an incredible improvement.
Since I put my hardtop on last night; today on the freeway at 75mph I said, Wow! The rear speakers sound a lot better. I am assuming that the hardtop making the car quieter had a lot to do with his major improvement in sound quality.

So if you want your rear speakers to sound better, get a hardtop, but treat your softtop first!
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com
 
ddb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 926
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I am assuming that the hardtop making the car quieter had a lot to do with his major improvement in sound quality.
Rick,

Absolutely - I notice the huge improvement also when I put on my hardtop. I recently drove my car for the first time this summer with the convertible top raised and was reminded how much better the stereo with rear speakers (and 6-channel amp) sounds.

My hardtop is going on at the end of the month (at the earliest) and yes I need to clean my convertible top also.

Thanks for posting your cleaning/treatment process.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Quickurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Coastal Oak Forest
Posts: 1,069
Thanks guys, that was the info I was looking for. I never liked the idea of masking off the car and spraying the top. What a pain.
Did you use a bristle brush or foam brush? The brief instructions at Amazon said either. I've never had any luck with foam brushes for wood finishing.
A 1 litre can is just under $18 at Amazon. Better prices elsewhere?
I'm also not sure I can buy just the 303 cleaner at Amazon.
__________________
Sold - Black on Sand Beige 2006 S - 48K miles
18x8.5 and 10 OZ Alleggerita HLT Anthracite wheels and anthracite Cayman side grilles - lovingly adjusted Schnell Short Shift
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,142
Garage
The best price I found was Amazon, it's expensive but I figure one liter it will do at least 3 coats maybe 4 depending on how thick you put it on. I just used a throw away brush from home depot.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Quickurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Coastal Oak Forest
Posts: 1,069
Cool, thanks alot Rick.
I'm in the room hanging out to miss the debate and the liars. Can't stand either one of them and can't believe that out of 300 million people these two idiots are the best we have.

__________________
Sold - Black on Sand Beige 2006 S - 48K miles
18x8.5 and 10 OZ Alleggerita HLT Anthracite wheels and anthracite Cayman side grilles - lovingly adjusted Schnell Short Shift
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page