Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 AM   #21

QUOTE:

"... The bar code that is sold with the remote is necessary for the technicians to use in order to program the remote to the cars anti-theft and central locking control system. If that bar code with the programming codes is lost then the remote fob cannot be used as intended... When bringing your car in to have one key programmed you should bring all the keys that you have. The other keys might lose their programming codes and get overwritten by the new key code...The car will not start unless the remote is programmed to the vehicle..."

I only have one key that came with the car. It works properly but I do not have the bar code that (I'm assuming) originally came with it. I have been wanting to buy another key (item 16 on my "Porsche to do" list) and get it programmed at the dealership but it looks like my original key may lose it's programming. If I don't have the bar code, does that mean my original key will now be un-programmable?

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #22

For those that have just had the tactile switch fail and want to replace it it can be found at Mouser Electronics for $0.60 each.

Tactile switch

The item you want is figure "C" 101-TF25R-EV (at least this is true for the three button key FOB head on my 2004 key). I used the 400 gf switch for my failed unlock button, but comparing the operating force to the stock switches I think 300 gf would be closer to correct.

BTW the description says it is a thru-hole part. This is incorrect it is surface mount as shown in the picture.

De-Soldering and soldering this piece is easy. Just use a soldering pencil (get one at radio shack cheap) rather than a soldering gun.
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #23

That is a good find. I have seen those tiny switches break off the circuit board and there was not much left to even attempt to solder it back together.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo
For those that have just had the tactile switch fail and want to replace it it can be found at Mouser Electronics for $0.60 each.

Tactile switch
That is some fantastic information! Where did you find this? I just got done ordering 4 switches. I figured I'd replace all 3 if there is a different feel to the new one, plus an addition just in case.

I'll report back once I complete the install. I'm hopeful that you just saved me several hundred dollars!
dja1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #25

I got the new switches soldered to the circuit board last Friday night. I started with the one that wasn't working, and when I found out how easy that went, I did the other two so that they would all have the same feel.

The entire project was very simple and took me about 20 minutes. Since I ordered 4 switches, I stuck a spare in the keyhead just incase I have a future repair.

Thanks to this fix and the climate control fix I found in another thread, this forum has saved me close to $1,000!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #26

Please send me that $1000 in savings because this forum has cost me at least that much in mods folks have posted. PM me for my mailing address.

Thank you very much.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #27

Well... if that's the case, I may have to keep that $1,000 in reserve. Actually, now that I think of it, it's already spent. Thanks to this forum, I have an appointment to have a new GAHH top put on next week. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #28

I have a 01 box with certified Porsche warranty due to expire in a week.
my key remote just died. LED comes on but there is no modulation at the rf transmitter (used an oscilloscope).
does anyone know if the remote transmitter is covered under certified warranty -alarm system?
thanks in advance
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #29

Yeehaw! What a find. I just ordered 4.

My main remote just stopped communicating with the car (LED flashes but no response). My second remote works on the trunks, but not doors. So I'll replace the button on it and save myself the reprogramming charges (assuming they can even do it). At least I'll have one functioning remote!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #30

My remote made it through the washing machine and still works fine - so I am not in a position to talk smack about the Porsche alarm remotes...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #31
Log

Trunk button failure

My trunk button was not working. I opened up the remote, and found that the switch fell off the circuit board.... I soldered it back on and it works perfect.... Easy!!!!
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #32

Got my switches today from Mouser. After fiddling with the tiny little sucker with my shaky old hands, I finally got it soldered on.

It works! Yes!! Don't you love it when a few bucks and a couple minutes of your time saves many Porsche $.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
My remote made it through the washing machine and still works fine - so I am not in a position to talk smack about the Porsche alarm remotes...
There's a rubber seal on the inside to protect water from going in to the circuit board.

I've just replaced the battery last week and it's been a year since I got the car.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #34

Re: cayenne key

Quote:
"I've wondered about getting a Cayenne key and seeing if the dealer can program the car to work with it. Might be a little odd with the different buttons, but I think it has three. One can be the main lock/unlock and the other two for the front/rear trunks."
The cayenne key has separate lock and unlock buttons. Not sure whether you could reprogram it to do exactly what you want.

Would it be possible to use a 987 key? They're a bit prettier (IMHO) and look more robust.
sandyman65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
There's a rubber seal on the inside to protect water from going in to the circuit board.
Mine used to have the rubber seal, but it started to get very loose, so I removed it. It was causing the top of the key head to pop up in the front.

At first, I thought it was the key ring putting to much pressure toward the back of the key head... but problem fixed since I removed the rubber seal. Now I just have to keep it dry!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #36

I made a post a few months back about this very same topic. My key is draining the battery. They are definitely good batteries and then in about a week or two it just doesn't work anymore and the light gets faint. It's also not me hitting the button in my pocket. I never did get a solution to that problem and I refuse to pay that much money for a reprogramming.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5 View Post
I made a post a few months back about this very same topic. My key is draining the battery. They are definitely good batteries and then in about a week or two it just doesn't work anymore and the light gets faint. It's also not me hitting the button in my pocket. I never did get a solution to that problem and I refuse to pay that much money for a reprogramming.
sorry to bump an old thread. but this is exactly what is occurring on my remote and i'm debating on just ordering a new remote.

ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote