Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #1

Bonding with your Porsche

Since Boxstoberfest is just around the corner, and my 01 has about 58K on the odometer, I thought it best to do the 60K service before I left. Yesterday the last of the parts arrived from Suncoast and today I did most of the 60K service.

To wit:

Changed the oil and filter
Changed the air filter
Changed the cabin filter
Changed the polyrib belt
Changed the plugs (That front driver's side plug is a BEAR!!!!!!!)
Checked the tires and pressure..again...its a daily ritual
Checked the brakes: Had previously changed the front rotors about 6 months ago and flushed the fluid at the same time so fluid change wasn't necessary. Rear rotors are well within range so no problems there and brake pads are nearly new.

Left to do: Change the fuel filter. My floor jack won't get high enough to allow jack stands high enough to let me under the car to get at it. So..... I'm pretty good friends with a local independent just down the street, and I talked to him today. He's going to let me rent (or borrow.. we'll see) his lift for an hour or so on Monday and that should about finish it up.

The entire process went without much drama. Had to go to Sears for a 24mm socket (Autozone didn't carry any 24mm sockets) (all of $8.00!! cheapest tool I've bought in years) and to a little tool shop near here for a 5 mm hex socket for the plugs, since Sears didn't carry any hex sockets that small (and THAT was expensive...$11.00.. holy cow)

Why do I have THREE 5/8 plug sockets?????

The bonding took place when I sliced my finger a little bit taking off the coil on the #1(??) cylinder (front driver's side). Since the car had deposited a little bit of itself on me today, I decided to return the favor. I let one drop of blood drip into the oil fill tube! So now we're attached at the hip and I can't ever get rid of her...not that I have any intention of doing so!

Had a great time doing it and, yes, there really is something to say about working on your car. Grease under the fingernails, in the hair. Scraped knuckles, sore back. I love it. Haven't had this much fun since I owned the Triumph Spitfire. If anyone wants to learn how to change a , buy an old Spitfire. You'll learn quickly.

Taking baby out for a nice spin tonight with the dog... wife's still working. Might have to make another run later!

Here's a couple of pics of the plugs. They all look pretty much the same, and, for the most part, look pretty good to me, but.....anyone have any comments on them?

Bob

this was cross posted to that "other" board but since it's still waiting approval i'll post it here too!

7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
FTD

I wish you lived near me and could help me get all that done. Wow. Nice.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Try doing it for a living, and get back to me in about 20 years.
I think my job will be coming available soon.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Left to do: Change the fuel filter. My floor jack won't get high enough to allow jack stands high enough to let me under the car to get at it.

Bob, I've got several pieces of 2X4 wood cut to about 8" in length. My car is so low that I have to drive each end up onto these 2X4's to get it high enough to get the jack under it. Once I've got it on jack stands I can raise it up higher by simply placing one of these 2X4 pieces on top of the jack pad and use that to then jack up the car (the 2X4 is sandwiched between the jack pad and the car). It should give you the extra lift you need to get the jack stands up higher so that you can fit under the car.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk

Bob, I've got several pieces of 2X4 wood cut to about 8" in length. My car is so low that I have to drive each end up onto these 2X4's to get it high enough to get the jack under it. Once I've got it on jack stands I can raise it up higher by simply placing one of these 2X4 pieces on top of the jack pad and use that to then jack up the car (the 2X4 is sandwiched between the jack pad and the car). It should give you the extra lift you need to get the jack stands up higher so that you can fit under the car.

Kirk
Kirk: I thought about doing that, but I was visiting with the indy about another car anyway and asked him about using his lift. When he said ok I didn't give it any more consideration. Your procedure would work fine, but if I can stand up to work on it.. whoooooo hooooooo...

uhhhh Rick,, in 20 years I'll be 78... don't think so! But thanks for the offer

7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote