Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #21

I'd get a brand new warrantied base C6 Vette. Pay $30 and get the upshift chip disabled. 400+ bhp at $45K

The Z06 Vette's aren't a dime a dozen. Not around here. People confuse them with the base Vette. Ditto for the ZR1 vette.

If you know how to ride a motorcycle you could get a Hayabusa and smoke everything in sight. Lambo's, Ferrari's, Acari's, Vipers

Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #22

sorry, but you're in the wrong car if you're worried about who can beat you at the light. I am on this forum SHOPPING and researching boxsters - I don't have one, but my dad does. I'm 36, and while i still love cars, I'm not into drag racing at every light. I love the boxster for how it sounds, handles, looks, but NOT because I think it will smoke people light to light. HOnestly, drag racing is really really stupid.

there is always someone faster. if you get caught up in that nonsense, you will always be looking for something faster. You'll get your motor swap, or your viper, and then when you get bored of smoking all the EVOs you go to a real drag track, and some guy in a v8 muscle car with wheelie bars and a true drag car will rape the $hit out of your "super fast" car and you'll be right back at square one.

there is always somone faster, someone smarter, someone with more money...the key is to be happy with what you've got.

if you really want to drag race - then get the Z06, and throw some bolt ons. there was a youtube video out there title was somethign like "EC hamptons" there was some club called EC- all these ferraris and lambos and one guy has a bolt on modded C5 Z06..yeah the old one, and he kicked all their a$$e$. do you think the guy in the Lambo really cares that he got beaten slightly by a $30k hunk of crap? No. because he's in alambo. he probably has some hottie in the passenger seat, and a few more bimbos back as his bachelor pad naked in teh pool..... ha ha point being - you have a Porsche. I'm shopping for one, and I'd be happy JUST TO GET your car and enjoy it.

don't sweat it that some other car can beat you. as soon as you get the viper, some guy in a modded 997 turbo will yank your headlights out and you'll be looking to sell/upgrade.. it's a never ending saga.

not to mention $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. i hpoe you are rich.

if you want a uniqe car, and you want something FAST - why not get a slightly used 996 or 997 turbo, and then have it modded. you'll have a VERY upscale wicked looking car - and those things can FLY. you won't be THE fastest caront he raod, but it will be a rare day when something with a license plate on it can keep up with you. i hope you he the $$ for that 'cause it won't be cheap.

for just having a great time driving a car - a boxster is hard to beat. it sounds exotic, it handles like it's on rails, it looks upscale and classy - and it is NOT super expensive. but it is NOT a dragster.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #23

I picked up a 335 as well and althought the 300 HP and torque is incredicble it still doesn't leave a grin on my face as much as the boxster does with the top down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkboxster
yep i got the power bug too. got myself a 335i, and cant wait to chip it

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #24

Hey Ike,

Looking at your mod list, look like the little head gave a spanking to the big head. LOLs. I m jealous. How much did it cost you to get your 3.8L swap from RUF ? ( I asked you this already in another thread, so if you already answered, sorry for the repeat question ).

Anyways

I wish I can get a 996 TT Cab and just be done with it. Last night they were going for 70-80k even on Ebay. Although 80K got you the X50 version with 450hp. STILL, wayyy out of my range.

I hear you guys loud and clear though. Perhaps my plan of making the 450hp Boxster is like trying to fit a square peg in a hole. It might work, for a while, but its not meant for that and will eventually be a money pit.

I think I'm pretty much done with the idea of trying to put $30k and a glob of power into the Boxster. I'll modify it look wise with custom body kit and such, but no power mods.

I'll start saving those pennies for another year or two and maybe I'll get the first year 988 or the 996 Turbo when they drop a little lower in price. LOLs.

Mean while, some driver improvement class would be a good investment.

Wow, I think the big head just won. LOLs.

Thanks guy.

PS. I do have my M1 and I've been looking for a Ducati 748 749 too. Like I said, I need more $. Anyone need a DBA ? LOL.

Last edited by nefarious986; 07-25-2008 at 11:36 AM.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:35 AM   #25

Oh I also want to chime in that the Box is not meant for winning those stoplight battles. The box is a greta handling sports car that is just plain enjoyable to drive. Even if you did the engine swap etc what happens if you run up against and EVO or STI that has also had mods done to it?

I also agree that the Cayman is out if you like the convertible. The Turbos and C4S's are great cars but I also don't like the inferior rear engine. The back end just feels way to heavy when you throw the car around.

If money is a factor and you just want to be competetive for the time being I say save your money for the upgraded engine swap. It seems like a waste to do the swap when there is nothing wrong at the moment. Throw in a dry NOS system, have fun at the lights (if you must) and wait until the engine is toast before you do the swap. You will still be driving the car you love, and the laughing gas will keep you a tad happier and some money in the bank for when/ if you really do need a new engine. If the engine doesn't go then you're even happier and your car will still be great in the twisties.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #26

I wish they gave us the option of ordering it with the 3.8L engine from the factory. WTF it's a natural.

oh and a dual clutch gearbox plz

LOL
Old 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #27

Street racin' fools - get an Evo X

For 35K get a new EvoX. Better for the types of folks who like to street race. If you want to drive fast, do us all a favor and go to a track or get another brand of car.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #28

before buying my boxster I drove the new EVO X. I hated it. It was NO FUN. it wasn't even THAT fast in my opinion. it sounded bad, it wasn't that nice inside - it was a slightly nice econobox with some power. i test drove an RX8 later the same day and it was twice as much fun to drive as the EVO despite bein far slower.

the Boxster is about as much FUN as you can have in a car - top down it is hard to beat for pure fun.

there is always someone faster. I see guys pass me in EVos, STi, you name it - I wouldn't trade cars with them - no way.

Keep your boxster and enjoy it. for the money - there is not much out there that even comes CLOSE in terms of fun factor / bang for the buck.

if you don't want and don't care about top down driving - you could find some nice couples or hard top sports cars that will outrun the box - but if you want a roadster - not much out there that is as cool, as classy, or as FUN as our cars!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #29

I rarely race anyone unless I'm in my 550i, and then I can't wait to show them all 360 horses at my disposal. Mostly it's at a light when I'm in the far left lane and they want to overtake me to get on the freeway from the center or far right lane... common in Houston. I don't care what they're driving if they try this when I'm in the Bimmer... well, within reason anyway. I rarely see anyone driving a car that is faster than 5 seconds zero to sixty in my "economically challenged" part of town.

In the Boxster I smile and wave as they pass me. I'm not screwing up my tranny or burning out my clutch for some idiot-stranger.

Nick is right... I met a guy at the last DE who brought his Viper with him instead of his 944 and he was sweating to the oldies in that car and it was FREEZING outside. Temps never got above 40 degrees that day and he jumped out of that car as fast as he could after each session. It's like a sauna in there if you push the car at all.

It's best to own one car that smokes off the line and one that smokes others on the twisties if you have the cash and garage space. I'm fortunate enough to have both right now.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #30

Remember in Swingers when the chick asks John Favro "what kind of car do you drive?", and when he responds, "a Cavalier", she ignores him and continues to ignore him even when he tries to qualify it with, "it's red. A red Cavalier..." Same scenario:

"What kind of car do you drive?"

"A Subaru"

Ignored.

"It's an STI. A WRX STI..."

Ignored.

I assure you "A Porsche" response will not get you ignored.

An STI is fast but it is still a Subaru. Hell an Omni GLH Turbo was fast. Doesn't mean I want to drive one. Wait, maybe I do...
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #31

Drag race? Drag race? The last time I dragged raced, I blew away two mid 70's Monte Carlo's... and I did it with a Ford Van.

But then, the two guys weren't willing to run the Red light like I was : )

Its not the car, it's the driver.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Drag race? Drag race? The last time I dragged raced, I blew away two mid 70's Monte Carlo's... and I did it with a Ford Van.

But then, the two guys weren't willing to run the Red light like I was : )

Its not the car, it's the driver.

OK, someone tell me what's wrong with this post.

"Its not the car, it's the driver" You said it.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 02-03-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #33

If you're going to street race, please stay out of my community. Adults that want to go fast equip and drive their cars on race tracks, not public streets.

My eighteen year old is a night owl and I trust his driving; it's the traffic around him that keeps me awake at night.

If you "need" to go fast, get yourself an old domestic of some type and throw a big block crate motor in it...have a blast! I'll be out on the twisties...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 02-03-2009 at 08:15 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #34

Could one of the better Cobra Kit Cars with a 427 side oiler be the answer to your needs. Good looking, seriously FAST, no top, and moderate handling( not great but not a killer). You could then set up the gearing and trans to whatever it is you really want. Good Luck in your choice. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #35

As someone already said... "don't be that guy"...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #36

wow .. funny how your mind set changes after less than 1 year ..

I have realized that with as little hp as the Boxster have, its already a better car than i'll ever be a driver.

Plus I haven't been feeling the power bug much lately, as work & life keeps me pretty busy.

Who knows, maybe a few months / year from now, when this economy starts to swing up again, the power bug will bite once more and I'll switch over to an '09 310hp box with PDK or maybe even a used Lambo if certain projects treats me right.

For now, the box = car happiness.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
2003 S....3.6L X51 - RUF Intake and Exhaust, GT3 ECU = 365+HP, Bilstein PSS9s, M030 sways, Strut Tower, Paget Blues, & Michelin PS 2s..... Blow 'em all away at the next apex!
any chance of posting that pic in a higher res? i love collecting boxster wallpapers and i think this would make a great one!

also, you aren't gonna beat a Z06 in priceerformance...

i'm looking at vettes as we speak and you can get well over 500+ hp almost stock! this will probably be my next car (hopefully summer)

and i still love my box!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #38
FTD

The first couple of weeks after I bought my 2.7 I wished I had bought the S. I had a high performance motorcycle and I kept trying to drive the Box like the bike. [That thing redlined at 10.5!] After a few years I now think, "Damn, I never get to play out all the gears". So, more horsies would still be a low gear experience and the rest is lost except for special, infrequent occassions. I am happy with the car as it is, and it is so much FUN, a straight line high HP vehicle wouldn't do much for my happy barometer.

I have a friend that bought the '08 Z06 and he drives like he is on the track. I wouldn't want to be a passenger - not even with a helmet. So he gets as much enjoyment out of the car as he wants - on the street. The reckless driving tickets are expensive and the dangers are imminent. That's a VERY expensive hobby.

Last edited by FTD; 02-05-2009 at 06:38 AM.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #39

Here's a Corvette for you...smokin' deal, as well.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #40

One word for you...

Mustang! For 45K get a Shelby 500. +1 looks -2 Handling +4 Power. The 2009 Mustang is not as unrefined as older ones. Also this is a much more appropriate car for your street-racer tendencies. The stop light grand is the only race where all particpants are losers. Take it to the drag strip or earn my disdain.

renzop is offline   Reply With Quote